Black Horse Pike Animal Hospital / vet bill

1 Blackwood, NJ, United States Review updated:

I purchased a puppy from a pet store, and three days later I had to take him to the hospital. They diagnosed him with pneumonia and kept him for a week before they sent him home with me along with a hefty vet bill. Exactly one week later, I had to return to the hospital because the puppy fell ill again. They told me that there was a 95% chance that they would have to put the puppy down because they thought he had a liver shunt. They told me there was a test they could do to make sure of their diagnosis but that it wasn't really necessary. I asked them to do the test for peace of mind, and it turns out that it wasn't what they thought it was. The puppy had severe pneumonia. If I didn't do the test we never would have known and they would have put him down. Anyway, they treated him for the next week and he seemed much better. When I requested to take him home, they told me that they thought he needed to stay. After paying $2500 within two weeks, I could no longer afford to keep up with their bills, and I felt like I was being taken advantage of. The doctor finally told me I could take him home, but I had a balance of $900 that had to be payed, and that if i couldn't come up with the money on the spot that they were going to give my dog to yorkie rescue. After much distress and pleading, they told me that I could carry a balance for a while because I had payed so much already and I was sent home with my puppy. Less than one month later a collections agency started harassing me to pay the bill. I am sending them checks but when they told me I could carry a balance I hardly expected this. I feel as though these people took total advantage of me. The total bill for my puppy was over $3000, and they almost killed him. I am grateful that he is doing well now, but I am very frustrated that I'm being harassed when I used my rent money and borrowed from friends just to get my puppy better. They almost killed my puppy with their misdiagnosis, and he had to be readmitted for the same thing he had less than a week earlier when they could have prevented it. If there is anything I can do to at least make people aware that the service was unacceptable please help. Thank you.

Comments

• Po
      7th of Feb, 2009

Black horse pike animal hospital is a rip off. Do not take your pet there. They are interested in making money and not taking care of your pet. Years ago when it was family owned (Dr Seigel) it was great. Now it sucks, we are switching to a new vet that doesn't take advantage of a pet lover's kind heart. Dr. Griffin is a shyster.

• Hg
      15th of Mar, 2009

It seems as though this posting was applied incorrectly to our business. Black Horse Pike Animal Hospital does not communicate in the manner this writer has quoted, we do not offer any form of billing options or payment plans, and we would not, nor do we have the authority or interest in “stealing” an animal from an owner to give up to a rescue.

We are can offer the humane option of allowing clients to surrender a pet as a last resort if they unable to provide necessary medical care. Black Horse Pike Animal Hospital in no way profits from providing this service and staff often donates time and resources to the care of these animals.

Be assured that in any situation where an owner even considers surrendering a pet to a rescue, there are extensive surrender agreements that must be completed and signed by the owner beforehand.

The staff of Black Horse Pike animal hospital is incredibly dedicated, passionate and above all professional. With thousands of satisfied clientele, we are pleased to have formed many loyal relationships with owners and their pets and provided these pets lifetimes of outstanding preventative care.

• Te
      10th of Apr, 2009

I know that Black horse pike animal hospital saved my dogs life. If it had not been for them and their quick diagnosis my Kendra, a 5 1/2 yr old Rottie, would have been dead. Kendra has Addisons desease and presented to them in an acute crisis. It came on suddenly, one evening she just wasn't quite herself and by the next afternoon she was down for the count. Diagnosing an animal is a difficult thing to do as they can't speak and tell you where it hurts. after running several test trying to guess from clinical observation, they figured it out. Now over a year later Kendra is living with this desease and doing excellent with her daily meds. Sure the bill was high, but alot was done and hell, they saved my girls life...priceless! Just 2 of the 1000's of satisfied customers, Terri Deal and Robert Wells, mommy and daddy of Kendra Lynn and her sister Kira Lynn.

28th of Apr, 2009

Black Horse Pike Animal Hospital is horrible! I will get my story across! I have told this story to over 100 people and pray for this not to happen to anyone else! I took my 1 year old puppy to have him neautered and they put the wrong size collar on him! He got hit by (2) cars out front as I watched! They came out and helped for 5 minutes and left me in the dark and rain 8:30 at night to 11:30 at night to look for him alone. The following morning I returned at first daylight to find him dead outside the animal Hospital. I asked for help to get him inside and they said they dont do that and i needed to come inside to pay for the burial or creamation!!! Please don't take your animal here. They don't care and the doctors never called me!!!

• Th
      9th of Sep, 2009

I seriously doubt that they left your dead dog outside. That is a complete fabrication and awful rumor to spread. Find something better to do.

1st of Nov, 2009

This is the worst hospital ever & I have been to alot. They are only concerned about making money. Sure they have saved some animals along the way but their true interest is how much they can get out of you. I had too many horrible experiences there before I decided too never go back. One was my cat's organs were failing & they gave him a rabies shot and sent him home only for me to find him dead the next day. Other incidents include ridiculous estimates of something that my normal vet performed at a third of the price. Guess they have to pay for the fancy new building!! If you have an emergency go to Penn!

25th of Nov, 2009

This comment is for Thomas P. It is not a rumor when you in fact write a letter to the Vet explaining what happened and post it on line. I am sorry I did not see you out there in the woods and rain when I looked for my puppy nor did I see you in the morning when I found him dead. You are 100% right I should find something better to do with my time like going down to the Black Horse Pike Animal Hospital and sitting outside with a photo of my puppy for everyone thats walks in there to see! Right! Wouldnt that be a better thing to do with my time! Also if its a rumor you wouldnt put your full name would you?

• Xu
      3rd of Jun, 2010

I use to work at that hospital and can confirm with the storys that they rip people off. The office manager wanted to take the yorkie and give it to her rescue (sosdogs.org). They also let people go at that hospital and denie their unemployment. I was let go there and the two office managers forged papers so i could not collect on my unemployment. Also they had a nurses assistent working there that over medicated a patients pet and killed it. The state department of drug enforcement should do an inspection there becouse there is always ketamine missing from the hospital

• Lo
      8th of Jun, 2010

Everything that they have said about the Black Horse Pike Animal Hosptial is true becasue on Wednesday I had took my pet there becasue she haven't ate in a couple of days.When I got there they charge a $105.00 for nothing because my vet had give them a list of everything that they had did on my puppy. It took them 4 hours just to give my pet the fluids that she needed becasue they were too busy worrying about how much money they can get from you. When I told them I knew what was wrong with my pet the doctor still told me that she wanted to do blood work, full body exam, and give fliuds and that didn't include the overnight stay. They wanted to charge me $1500 for just that. I know that if they stop worrying about riping people off and take care of the animals then so many animals won't be dying. In your best interest I WOULDN'T TAKE ANOTHER PET THERE IN MY WHOLE LIFE BECAUSE I BELIEVED DEEP DEEP DEEP DOWN FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HERAT THAT THEY KILLED MY BABY AND THEY CAN'T TELL ME NOTHING DIFFERENT. IF THEY WOULD HAVE GAVE MY PET AN IV SHE WOULD HAVE STILL BEEN HERE. I MISS AND LOVE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH THAT I CRIED EVERYNIGHT.

11th of Jun, 2010

Dont ever take your dog to this vet. The ownerdoctor dr griffin does not like dogs. If you have a cat on the other hand he will bend over backwards for you. Also some one needs to contact child services on him. He made hi daughter eat her food out of a bowl on the floor like a dog, becouse she was not using her fork...

• Fa
      22nd of Jun, 2010

You get what you pay for. If you want cheap care, don't go to Black Horse Pike. If you want quality care and service, Black Horse Pike Animal Hospital is the place for you. Dr. Griffin is amazing with the ultrasound machine and I know for a fact that he is a caring parent. If you need an ultrasound for your dog or cat, you should trust no one else. How many hospitals can perform an ultrasound within 24 hours and provide an accurate medical plan based on that exam? The correct answer is not many, but it happens regularly at Black Horse Pike. How many hospitals are open 24/7 and can provide live saving care along with ultrasound exams, endoscopy, and orthopedic surgery which includes advanced fracture repair? The correct answer is not many, but it happens regularly at Black Horse Pike. The doctors are top notch. The staff is dedicated and caring. And yes, the building is new and state of the art. If you have bad service at Black Horse Pike Animal Hospital, I would be willing to bet there was a good reason for it. Were you present when your pet needed you? I don't mean physically. I mean consciously aware. Is it possible that you were distracted? Talking on your cell phone instead of paying attention? If multiple serious emergencies come through the door while you are there, you may end up waiting. I know they try to staff the hospital properly, so service is not disrupted by these unpredictable situations. However, life happens. Rather than blame others, I think it is good practice to start with yourself. If I have a bad day, I know it's as much my fault as it is the fault of anyone else. Medicine is practice. We are human beings. I don't care what species you are talking about. We are all of the nature to get ill and eventually die. If you have life, you will die. That is a certainty. You need to find a hospital where you can trust the doctors and staff. If price is your main concern, then find a hospital that has low fees. I will bet that a low cost hospital will not have emergency care, ultrasound exams, endoscopy and advanced orthopedics. If you are looking for a hospital dedicated to helping pets and their families 24/7/365, then Black Horse Pike Animal Hospital is for you. If you are looking for heaven or hell, you won't find it. The kingdom of heaven is within you. Honor the present moment and you can heal the past and simultaneously prepare for the future. Be honest and stop throwing stones. If you want a quality veterinary experience 24/7, then develop a relationship with a hospital that has quality care 24/7. For me, the answer is Black Horse Pike Animal Hospital. Meet the different staff members. Meet the different doctors. Find someone at the hospital that communicates on your frequency. I find they will call you and even email. They're great. In the end, it won't be cheap, but you will get what you pay for.

• Re
      6th of Jul, 2010

My cat was in tremendous pain and it was after midnight. The people at BHP ANimal Hospital were wonderful, and did proper tests to find out what was wrong. He had eaten part of a plastic bag and xrays showed that it was creating a blockage. The estimate for surgery, if needed, was nearly $4, 000. I signed the papers and didn't think twice. Fortunately, my cat's blockage was moving on its own as a result of the barium study they did to diagnose him. They called and told me the good news and that he didn't need surgery after all, as he was going to pass the blockage on his own. They did not rip me off. They provide a much needed service and I am grateful for their expertise. I am also grateful that the vet tech suggested PetPlan health insurance for my cat. So I got it, and Thank GOD!!! For $212 per year, I just pay $50 co-pay for every visit and i get the rest reimbursed at 100%. Cannot beat it!!! If you have a pet, get insurance. ... PetPlan was the best decision I ever made. Now i don't have to worry about big bills for vet care.

• Ge
      15th of Oct, 2010

People who stay at the Best Western would feel ripped off at the Ritz Carlton. If you don't prefer and demand high quality in any other facet of your life you probably won't appreciate Black Horse Pike Animal Hospital. I can attest that top notch care will be offered. I often decline these services because I cant afford them but that isn't the hospitals fault. I appreciate that they dont judge peolple and assume that money is a problem like so many other vets. Please be aware, If your vet is not offering you $800 worth of services at a regular check up or $1500-$3000 for a emergency, they have decided for you that you can't afford or don't want quality care. Because if all of the best services are laid out for you to choose thats what they should cost whether you have a cat or a dog. I have experience processing vet bills for many clinics all over New Jersey. I assure you, If you have walked out of your vet's office within the last 5 years paying less then $500, and you didn't decline anything they offered, you have been condescended and prejudged. BHPAH will treat everyone as if they want the very best for there pet until the pet owner says otherwise.
    Here's a few tips:
    Always have pet insurance if you have a pet.
    Dont get a pet if you can't afford to take care of it.
    If you bargain shop for clothes and food because you have to in order to survive, then you should not own a pet.
    Never breed any pet.
    Get your pet a check up at least twice per year.
    Keep your pet on prescription parasite protection.
    Feed the right food for your pet's breed and lifestyle.
    If your vet bill is cheap, ask what your missing option are.
    If you dont understand your vet bill, ask for a senior tech or nurse to explain things. They are paid by the hour and gain nothing from overcharging you. No comission, no profit sharing. Most veterianrians are trust worthy however, Vet techs and assistants are always a great source of advice not motivated by money.

• Wa
      14th of Jan, 2011

@ michelle dickey---your right... that place is terrible...they had so many bad reviews on google, they were removed... the truth hurts--doesn't it office manager sandy and dr. griffin. if dr. griffin heads wasn't up sandy's butt he would realize she's a HUGE part of the problem. always covering up something so he won't find out. they have high school kids working our your beloved pets... university of penn is creaper then black horse- and they have board certified techs and doctors.

• Ka
      30th of Mar, 2011

People will always find something to complain about. It is ridiculous to come on a complaint board and try to say an animal hospital "killed you dog"-- seriously? Like a previous commentor wrote, you get what you pay for. If you want quality care by knowledgable proffesionals-- including board certified specialists, you will be satisfied with Black Horse Pike Hospital/ Regional Vet Emergency Center. I have had nothing but wonderful experiences there and have spoken with many other satisfied customers.

• Sl
      6th of May, 2011

That isn't always true. Some vets, seriously are overpriced! My pets see a wonderful vet that is reasonable, and doesn't siphon you for every penny! One time I had purchased a Siamese kitten for my son's tenth birthday at the local animal shelter. Within a few hours of purchasing her, she began sneezing. I took her to an over priced vet, which charged me three hundred dollars, and antibiotics, that didn't help her condition at all. The staff was rude, and didn't want to accept the credit card I used because it was in my husband's name. I had to go to a local grocery store and use an ATM to pay the bill. I did everything the vet instructed me to do, and the kitten, Keylala, just became more ill. I took her back to this overpriced vet, and he was still no help. Finally, a friend told me about a vet at my local animal shelter that might be able to help her condition. I was afraid she would die. The shelter vet, was amazing! He gave the kitten some new type of antibiotic, that helped her become much better. He took the time and explained what I needed to care for her. Within a few days, she was eating, and on the road to recovery. Something the overpriced vet couldn't. The staff could have cared less, and were completely useless. It isn't having a fancy facility, it is the care given to the animal which is more important. I paid a fraction of the price for the visit, and medication. It is more in the expertise of the vet. The facility may have every gadget under the sun. What makes a vet hospital is the staff and the vet. I will always be grateful to that vet, he saved my son's cat. Whom he adores to this day, and she adores him. She has made a wonderful companion to my son.

• Lu
      25th of Jun, 2011

I believe I own one of the windows or T least a piece of equipment in that brand new high tech building of theirs. Back
    in 2006 my sick pom was brought in to BHP animal hospital 2 weeks before Christmas . Without my permission to do $1800 worth of work on my dog very very sick little dog was given back to me. I went to the office 2 times to visit her never once did they mention diagnosis or price,
    They even told me not to come back in because my presence was upsetting her . I had no idea how much my bill was what the diagnosis was or asked how I wanted the situation to be handled . The owner never called me when I complained and handed the situation over to his very conniving manipulative office manager who is very savvy about covering up the hospitals wrong doings . Horrible place now go to bethel mill animal hospital where they quote me prices and allow me to be involved in my pets care

• Ve
      6th of Aug, 2011

I am a veterinarian technician for 13 years. I get so tired of people wanted something for free. Nothing is for free. They think just because you work with animals you should not charge for things. Well news flash pet owners all those medications and time spent working on your animal cost money. The owner has to buy the medications and pay their employees to work on your pets. It is not the vet's fault that you purchased a sick pet from the pet store or breeder. As a responsible pet owner it is your job to do your research before purchasing a pet. Also vet clinics hate when people pick up a strays off the street and bring it in and expect a discount because they found it. If YOU PICK IT UP YOU ARE TAKING RESPONSIBLITY FOR THAT ANIMAL, THAT ALSO MEANS FINANCIALLY. Take your charity cases to the animal shelter. Stop and think about what your doing before you do it. Like do I have the proper means to take care of this animal, do I have the time, and most important do I hav the money? Do you go to work for free. You cannot go to the grocery store load up your basket and go to check out and say, oh can I have a payment plan for these groceries?

• Ve
      6th of Aug, 2011

Oh also, do not go to your vet clinic and give your life story about why you do not have money to pay for treatment. Everybody has problems. I have always wanted to tell the people that do this, I'm sorry I don't care what your story is. Would you like to hear mine now. Alos for all those house wives out there that have more money than they know what to do with, do not spend your husbands money without him knowing. It is not our problem, so do not let him call the vet clinic and complain in about how much money you spent. That is between the two married people, we do not want to hear about it.

• Sl
      9th of Aug, 2011

Vet tech,

Many vets overprice their services, or if you have to work within a budget, the staff shames you into feeling like you don't love your animal enough. It is wrong, for the vet and staff to siphon as much money as possible from the pet owner. I agree that when you take an animal in, your also taking responsibility for that pet. Some vets prices are ridicules! My husband and I do take responsibility for our pets! We make sure their vx's are up to date, take them to the vet when needed, and also feed them a high quality food. Not one that is overpriced, but one that has decent ingredients. I don't agree with some of the tactics I have seen in vet's offices for financial gain. I go to a vet that doesn't overcharge, they don't make me feel guilty if I have to work within a budget. I don't feel like I have gotten royally screwed after a vet has seen my animal.

A vet/vet tech needs to explain what is wrong with the animal, what the services will cost, and what options are available. From the complaints I have read, this has not been done in this case. Part of working as a vet tech is to listen work with your clients and make them feel comfortable with the care their pet is receiving. Also, if your services are not within the price range that this client can afford, have a list of animal facilities that offer a low budget clinic, or other services at a place like the local shelter.

It seems to me that you have a great deal of animosity toward the customers. What you have to understand is often the client is upset about what condition the animal is in, and what the cost will be. Not everyone can afford a thousand dollar vet visit, it doesn't mean that their animal should not receive any care, maybe not at your facility.

I have worked within a shelter environment, I strongly disagree with not having affordable services for low income pet owners. In the long run, having facilities that offer low spayed and neutering, low cost clinics for a variety of pet issues, and vx's saves everyone a great deal of money. I am assuming you have not worked at a shelter, were overpopulation is overwhelming, and animals are often not given the care they need. Having facilities would help stop the out of control population problem, communicable diseases that animal suffer from, and not to mention the unwanted animal population.

People in every economic situation are going to have pets, and why should low income pets not have available to them at least basic care? You can preach that well, if your poor you should not have a pet, but we live in the real world.

You seem to hate your customers, and be upset when they are upset because of a unexpected vet bill. Not everyone works at an animal clinic, and receive free pet care as you do. Why not try and have some compassion for people? In these hard economic times, many people have lost their jobs, or are supporting additional family members. Be glad you have a job, and not dealing with the problems you describe. By the way, have a heart. Stop being such a stuck up snob, that thinks her ### don't stink.