bj-trade / Hi-jack of hotmail address book

1 England, Suffolk, United Kingdom Review updated:

The following unauthorised message was sent to all of my contacts from my Hotmail address book:-

Fresh life of shopping!
i would like to introduce a good company who trades mainly in electornic products.
Now the company is under sales promotion, all the products are sold nearly at its cost.
They provide the best service to customers, they provide you with original products of
good  quality, and what is more, the price is a surprising happiness to you!
It is realy a good chance for shopping.just grasp the opportunity, Now or never!
The web address: http://www.bj-trade.com

Gr

Comments

• Ku
      5th of Mar, 2009

Yes... you're not the only one. My girlfriends hotmail account was also apparently used for a very similar spam. The originating IP was not hers, so I imagine someone is guessing username/password combinations, pulling the contacts list and sending the emails which do appear to come from Hotmail. The fact she has an incredibly easily guessed password on her account may have contributed to this.

A quick virus scan showed that her laptop was not infected by anything (that it could detect anyway). There doesn't seem to be much information online about this ... spam yet.

• Pe
      5th of Mar, 2009

I just had the exact same thing happen to my Hotmail address book. I have changed my password strength to "Strong" in hopes that this will prevent the problem from happening again.

I do not believe this is a virus, because my computer was OFF when it happened. I believe my account was hacked.

• Je
      31st of May, 2009

My hotmail account was used 2 days account to send out the same message. I had left my email account open that morning so it appears someone was able to use my account to send this message to EVERYONE in my contact list. It does appear to have been sent from my email account because my SENT box has the email in there. I also changed my password and made sure it is strong. I will also be sure to log off after each session and close out the internet explorer when I am done with a task.

• En
      30th of Jun, 2009

my hotmail address book was stolen by some in the internet and they sent mail to all and also they have changed my password and password question also please help me get out of this issue.thanks.ameen