Birken Wald Kennel / Defective German Shepherd Puppy - Unethical Breeder Behavior

1 Pittsfield, NH, United States Review updated:

Teri Townsend sold a German shepherd puppy to me on 5/15/15. Two days later, I brought the dog to my vet who thought she was underweight and might have hip problems. I was referred to Dr. Henry, orthopedic vet to have a PENN Hip Xray (cost $1400) because dog is put under conscious sedation. I was devastated to learn the pup had bilateral juvenile hip dysplasia. I called Teri to tell her and withheld a $700. check, for which we went to court and settled payment. While Teri asked for the dog back, it was too late. My family fell in love with this dog. Since then, I have paid a total of $6000, -- CAT Scan of elbows and hips, etc only to learn she has bilateral hip and elbow dysplasia. She had elbow arthoscopy surgery and takes daily rimadyl and meloxicam pain meds even though she is on house rest. She is starting physical therapy 3/16. To add injury, Teri has issues with the AKC paperwork with apparent mix up of dogs and I have not received the AKC paperwork for my pup. I have never asked Teri for one penny of the $6000. I am writing to this group, because Teri Townsend may do the same to others as she is mating my puppy's sister with other dogs who have hips and elbows not cleared in order to benefit financially while the dogs and buyers suffer. I was not surprised to hear that this is not her first time in court. Samson vom Birkenwald (sire) and Alexis vom Konigsdorf AKC DN29655501 are my pups parents. I have many documents that I can send to readers directly. Please leave your email.

Dl
Mar 12, 2016

Comments

• Br
      29th of Oct, 2016

The fact you had a puppy put under anesthesia for Penn hip at such a young age is a disgrace. Further disgrace is that your vet would even recommend doing it on such a young pup. Growth plates don't close on larger breeds until around 2 years of age. They don't even have enough bone density to even tell about hips at the age you are saying this was done. It sounds to me that your vet made a lot of money off you and you should be reported to the veterinary board. Was the vet that did the X-Ray Penn Hip Certified? Did you give Teri the vets name, information, allow her to see the diagnosis? Funny thing about a complaint is there are always 2 sides. You say she took you to court. I can say as a breeder I also would have taken you to court as she made every attempt to resolve this issue with you and it sounds like you were all talk and did not provide any proof. Again, Penn Hip is never done on an 8-week-old puppy. Shame on you and your vet.

• Dl
      29th of Oct, 2016

Thank you for the feedback. I agree there are two sides to every story. However, my precious dog has bilateral ELBOW and HIP dysplasia which is worsening. If she could talk, she would tell you there is only her side that matters. Pain and suffering is the real issue for me, not the money. My Birkenwald dog was limping continually when she was less than one year old. I was told to bring her back immediately, but I fell in love with her the moment I saw her. Only after her first surgery of the left front extremity at 1 1/2 years, could she attend day care with periodic rest periods because of extremity lameness. Now her right hip is going lame. I have an acre of land, but she is limited to running and ball catching. I am very cautious when I go hiking as to the terrain she walks on. She takes Dasquin supplements for joint disease, sleeps on orthopedic beds and I must use a ramp whenever she goes in and out of my SUV. I am not a veterinary, so I can refer you to my orthopedic surgeon at: Angell Memorial Hospital/MSPCA 350 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02130Non Profit (opened 1868 in Boston Ma). Dr. Trout, Orthopedic Specialist (617)541-5048 . Teri has been brought to court before and I contend that she needs to screen these dogs for dysplagia before she sells another one. Buyer beware! Respectfully submitted, Deborah Lepore

• Dl
      29th of Oct, 2016

Thank you for the feedback. I agree there are two sides to every story. However, my precious dog has bilateral ELBOW and HIP dysplasia which is worsening. If she could talk, she would tell you ONLY HER SIDE matters. Pain and suffering is what led to the complaint being placed, NOT money. My BIRKENWALD dog was limping continually when she was less than one year old requiring surgery on her left elbow. I was told by the XRay Penn CERTIFIED Orthopedist Vet to bring her back immediately, but I fell in love with her the moment I saw her. At One and 1/2 she can attend doggie day car with periodic rest times, because of RIGHT REAR EXTREMITY lameness. Now she is limited to running, ball catching and some hiking in SHORT TIME INCREMENTS only because of the limping. She must use a ramp when getting in or out of my SUV. She takes Dasquin supplements for joint disease, and sleeps on an orthopedic bed. She received her Vet Care at: Angell Memorial Hospital/MSPCA, 350 Huntington Ave Boston, MA 02130.This Non Profit which opened in 1868 has been provided high quality care to Gretel by Dr. Trout, Orthopedist Specialist (617)541-5408. Her life will be shorter because of Teri's disregard for proper screening for dyspaghia. I gave the name to Teri with CAT Scans and PENN Hips Xrays and everything else she requested. Teri and Birkenwald Kennel should be stopped from breeding these beautiful animals until she can get OFA certification of hips and elbows period. BUYER BEWARE! Respectfully submitted on behalf of Gretel vom Birkenwald

• Tt
      11th of Nov, 2017

Debra at court you showed me the dog and she was fine a calendar from day 1 you got her swimming running jumping.You also signed a sworn paper saying you were not to post anything negative about this case.I told you to bring the puppy back at 8 weeks old and I would give all your money back.You lie about everything that you posted.You wouldn't even call back the chief of police here in Pittsfield.You basically stole the puppy by putting a stop payment on the final payment 2 days after you got the puppy.You never did the surgery as she didn't need it.Maybe she didn't have OFA hips but my guarantee for limited is against crippling HD up to one year which she HAS NEVER been.I am ethical and honest to everyone.You need to stop the lies.I shouldn't have had to take you to court for this.Thats shows your colors after letter after letter after phone calls trying to settle this with you .You would never answer until court got involved and I won.

• De
      13th of Nov, 2017

@T Townsend Teri,
    Gretel has suffered because of your unethical breeding standards. She gets regular exercise but is still unable to run and play with other dogs without pain in bilateral hips. On November 12, 2017, at almost 3 years old she is on regular doses of meloxicam especially when we go on a hike that allows dogs off leash on Cape Cod. She wants to run and play with other dogs but cannot without pain.
    While I know you have to make a living, I think that there is a genetic issue with the breeding of these beautiful german shepherds. I have medical documents to prove severe hip dysplasia but I am going to keep Gretel with me for as long as I can and at any cost. The dogs deserve a better start in life and so don't the buyers who assume they are getting a healthy puppy. I will be happy to talk to any potential buyers who want to see the evidence.

• Sb
      18th of Oct, 2018

i saw a case where a judge sided with a breeder.There is no evidence that 2 tested parents can produce only all non hip disorders of any kind . Hip dysplasia can occur with both parents testing positive .
    Many factors can occur .One is over exercising while they are forming, a fall many reasons and a skipped generational defect .
    A breeder is not God and can not make every thing perfect in the breeding world .
    A buyer does have rights to replace the puppy or a full refund .If you decide to not agree with any thing . The very least you can do is not post all your unethical breeding standard posts .
    There are good breeders .
    I bought a puppy that had to be put down and the breeder refunded me .It was not her fault. We both felt sad .In a way i was grateful i was the only buyer with this sorrow, no one else had my tears .
    I just see you as angry hateful UNREASONABLE ...sad to say, i hope your dog and you are well .