Biolife Plasma / bad business

Joplin, MO, United States Review updated:

After I did routine questions& tests I was set up to donate plasma. As soon as the machine kicked in and started to separate blood and plasma I had immediately noticed that the bag collecting plasma was not the normal ‘apple juice color’ but that it had a decent amount of blood in it. I then told several different employees that it appeared to be abnormal. Even after looking at the bag they had dismissed the color and my concern for the abnormal factor. When I was being taken off the machine an associate had told me that it was going to have to be discarded because there was so much blood in the bag. Right before I got off the donation chair I was told that I was going to have to see a nurse to address the questions that I had. When I got up from the chair I was told to follow an associate to the check out screen. Not once had they had any kind of concern about me walking or standing at the touch screen to log out. After I logged out I was told to sit down and wait for a nurse to come and answer the questions I had. I was called into the nurses office was told that I was going to have to wait at the center for 30min because I might be lightheaded. I had then asked if I had a family member come and pick me up and I was a passenger in the car if I could leave. (thinking that the only reason that they don’t want me to leave and drive a car is because I would be lightheaded.) I verbally attempted to rationalize why I couldn’t leave in a family vehicle if I wasn’t driving because of ‘lightheadedness’ and honestly got frustrated because I didn’t understand why I couldn’t leave if I wasn’t driving for being ‘lightheaded’. After I sat in the waiting room and told my husband that I didn’t think that I should drive and that he should come and pick me up after I got done with my 30min, I had different lady pull me into her office and begin to explain why I couldn’t leave. Reasons like blackout pass out, lightheadedness &dizziness and had verbally recognized that I was obviously upset at the situation. She asked me why I had gotten that way to begin with. And, I had told her that it was because the nurse hadn’t ever said that I might pass out, might blackout, or might be might be dizzy! And that I couldn’t rationalize not being able to leave for being lightheaded if I wasn’t driving. And, then confronted her about feeling like I was being pulled into an office and ‘getting a talking to’. I told her that if the nurse had originally told me that I might pass out, black out, or be dizzy that the reasons for keeping me there would have been rationalized! I told her that I had called my husband and that he was going to drive me home after my 30min and she told me that if I left I was pretty much going to be banned from coming to another biolife facility. After feeling like I had been done such a disservice from the faculty right down from telling the associates that something was wrong from the beginning, to not telling me all of the symptoms that I might encounter so I could rationalize such a request and not have become so angry this entire situation could have been avoided!!

Comments

• Br
      15th of Jul, 2014

My. Name I Bryan and I was told yesterday that I no longer could donate due to a tattoo that I never had but by the paper I sign said I had one and never did I thank its wrong to ban someone when you can tell it was a mistake in the first place by the Dr that did my first physical

• Ru
      19th of Mar, 2015

I go to Biolife in Waite Park next to Menards every week. There was a week when I was there that the lady that put the needle in my arm stuck me wrong and my arm blew up like a tire as the blood was going back into my arm. They then finished my donation with the other arm. I had major bruising on my arm for the next month and I kept getting differred. I starting going back and then today I got a call saying I'm getting differred because my protein level is low. I eat meat and eggs constantly so idk how that's possible. Now that I cannot receive my $50 today I choose not to go to that place again. They forget to announce that bs before you get started. Now I gotta wait another week and come back for a blood sample. Hopefully others don't have my same negative experience.

• Re
      21st of Aug, 2015

Online biolife website for qualifications stated if you have any tattoos they can't be fresh and my tattoo are 8 years old and they denied me service..

26th of Jul, 2018

Apparently bio life has now started to judge plp on weight I showed up as always to give and was told all of sudden now I'm not allowed it give because of my weight being 402. Anything over 400lbs now gets deferred eventhough my viens are great and am just a bug ass guy at 6'4" & 400lbs. I'm not way fat or anything and really to be honest I've lost like 280lbs in the last 3 years so I think it's discrimination against me over my weight when I'm a perfect donor I've never been refused nor not been able to finish in 2 plus years of going weekly and I was about 500lbs when I started giving. So this is descusting that I was treated like that and waisted my time over an hour to get there and wait in line just to be told no for no good reason. They didn't have any real reason for it just kept saying it's corporate so to you corporate I just maybe talking to a lawyer about this which would be a first for me but it's just so descusting to me I'm not sure what else to do. I would understand if I was a giant fat dude with crappy vein's but nope not the case nor does anyone who I tell belive me when I say I'm 400lbs. So I'm putting my 2 cents in here for the moment but again it's just sad and very very frustrating to be told in can't give after giving all these years oh and I forgot to say I told them if I took my work boots off there would be 2lbs easilly but wouldn't let me unless I had flips or something even though I could have put my boots right back on. I'm so done for right now with this company not sure what happened or why they felt like this was something they had to implement but if nothing else it should definitely be on a case by case basis not just across the board discramation. I'm in pretty good shape even at this size played ball and wrestled in collage and have always been big but now all they did was puss me off so the 13 other plp I got to start going and doing bio life will now be asked to go to the other plasma place and to boycot bio life until they change this stupid ass policy that just discusting and discriminting again bigger healthy plp with no issues like myself and have been great donor's for years now.

• Ar
      2nd of Oct, 2018

I went to Biolife in Waite Park. Well I have just been deferred for having a standard Doctors Visit. I explained that it was Physical and I received no medications and did not have any procedure done, My doctor said i was fine. I guess I am never going back there again.