Bharti Airtel / stealing money from pre paid accounts without positive consent from customer

1 India Review updated:

My mobile number is [protected] ( Haryana Circle). Airtel has started a unique method of fund raising for its Zain deal buyout. It is stealing money from customers account without their knowledge. Today morning (23/02/2010 ), i had a balance of Rs 163 in my account. After making a 30 sec. local call, i was amazed to see that my balance has fallen to Rs 62. I wondered about as to what has happened here.In the mean time, i got an SMS stating that " your free trial for Games club is open now. After this, you will be charged Rs 99 per month.If you do not want to participate, SMS UNSUBGE at 54321. " Then i realized that my 99 rs has been stolen by Airtel .
I am using the word stolen because, the amount was deducted without my knowledge and without my positive consent. This is innovation of airtel to fund its Zain deal through the pockets of its customers without their been aware of it unless they are vigilant. I have given a complaint to them via complaint number 205069 dated 23/2/2010. Through this post, i want to make people aware of this looting by Airtel . Two of my friends have got three such unsolicited schemes on their mobiles. Who is Airtel to force such schemes on customers ? it is taking negative consent from customers by asking them to unsubscribing to scheme. Why should anybody unsubscribe a scheme which he or she hasn't subscribed in the first place ? and what about the customers who don't read most of the SMS es. They will keep on paying Rs 99 per month (or any other amount according to the scheme forced by Airtel) for no fault of theirs.
Airtel should return the money of all such people and stop sending sms es with negative consent. They should ask for positive consent as to whether one wants to SUBSCRIBE for a particular scheme or not.

Comments

23rd of Feb, 2010

The BHARTI AIRTEL is a ### Company. The other looting scheme they do is... When you disconnect your connection... they don't disconnect it internally and keep it active.. after 5-7 months... Airtel guy called you up for due amount... when you tell that we requested for disconnection... Airtel guy tells you that the request was not executed in our computers... now we can waver some amount of money from your dues...

Guys... there telecommunications Companies are big cheaters...who cheat their customers to pay their advertisement bill...to Advertisements agencies..

• Gu
      23rd of Feb, 2010

fully agree with u on this count. and Airtel is notorious of all. Number portability all over India may help the customers sooner or later.

• Gu
      27th of Feb, 2010

Airtel has refunded the money back to me within 48 hours.
    But, i still urge them to stop practice of harassing customers first and then refunding to those only, who complains. This is hardly a good policy. Honesty is the only thing desired.