Beyond Boundaries Travel / Unexpected Costs

1 Colorado Springs, CO, Colorado Springs, CO, United States Review updated:
Phone: (719) 471-0222

Do not use Beyond Boundaries Travel !!! We paid $808 of unexpected expenses. Our local ski club planned a trip to Egypt with a September 25, 2010 departure date. Beyond Boundaries Travel handled all the arrangements. We were required to fully pay for the trip in advance. Our last payment was made on June 18 three months before departure. We paid $5, 738 in advance. At the beginning of September, were told we had to make an additional payment of $708. We told that we were past the trip cancellation date and our choices were: We would could pay the additional $708 or forfeit the $5, 738 paid to date. We were shocked. We opted to pay the $708 that we had not budgeted.

Then there was the $100 airport surprise. We checked one bag each for the flight out and the return. We were charged $25 per bag for the flight out and the return a total of $100. Beyond Boundaries booked our flights as two tickets one domestic ticket and one international one ticket. Per Continental Airlines, if the travel agent had booked our flights as one ticket with the domestic and international segments combined they would not have charged the baggage fees on the domestic flights and we would have not been charged the $100.

A travel agency should know how to properly book international flights so its clients will not incur an additional $100 of unnecessary fees.

In summary, we budgeted $5, 738 for our trip but paid $6, 546, which included $808 of unexpected expenses. We will never schedule a vacation that is in anyway associated with Beyond Boundaries Travel.

Comments

• Pu
      Jan 21, 2012

Sorry Egypt2010, but you should have explained in your review why we paid extra. This was all listed in the contract a year in advance. The extra fee we paid was on airfare, and if the club had sent our money to the tour operator BEFORE the ticket prices went up, we wouldn't have had to pay the additional fees. I called the operator several times to work on some scheduling, and they were very helpful and friendly. They explained the issue with airfare and I verified this. Can't blame the tour operator for our group not sending the money earlier.

• Eg
      Mar 28, 2012

Punlyn, What about the $100 in unnecessary baggage fees they paid? "We were charged $25 per bag for the flight out and the return a total of $100. Beyond Boundaries booked our flights as two tickets one domestic ticket and one international one ticket. Per Continental Airlines, if the travel agent had booked our flights as one ticket with the domestic and international segments combined they would not have charged the baggage fees on the domestic flights and we would have not been charged the $100."

• Eg
      Mar 28, 2012

Punlyn, What's your explanation for the $100 of unnecessary baggage fees? Shouldn't a travel agent know now to handle this?

• Ko
    Colorado Springs
    Colorado
    Phone: (719) 471-0222
    beyondboundariestravel.com

Since 1993, when in high school, I have been traveling with Beyond Boundaries Travel as a ski group coordinator for my friends. I've gone on to expand my travel with Beyond Boundaries Travel, but we still talk about those trips and the experience was always top-notch? Additionally, I have recommended their HP Fan Trips to several friends with kids and they loved it.

I want to tell you a true story of my experiences with Beyond Boundaries Travel.

I was part of a group that traveled to Belize Sept 9 - 13 2001. Yes, 2001. I awoke one morning after an exciting day of Catamaran fishing, swimming with sharks, snorkeling, and an evening out with locals to a world turned upside down by 9/11. We were stuck in paradise, not knowing when we could return home, and completely unsure of how exactly I'd afford this unexpectedly elongated stay. Sure, the world had bigger problems, and I don't want to minimize those, but that was our group's problem. We were stuck with no timetable when we could return home, and personally, I was at my budget.

We returned 9/18/01; 5 days over our expected stay.

In stepped Doug and Beyond Boundaries Travel. Doug worked tirelessly to monitor our ever changing flight situation, move all the travel for 20+ people, and procured lodging at prorated, or in most cases pro-Bono, for the additional nights.

This situation was not his responsibility, but he took the onus to help us make it through.

The thing about travel is it can be tricky. Planes get cancelled, the merits of lodging can be misstated/exaggerated, or you can literally get stranded.

You need a trusted partner when traveling, and I trust Beyond Boundaries Travel.

Kory