BestBrandValues.comUndisclosed Membership

1 Review updated:

Book order
I purchased a book on-line on 7 July 2009 through HotBookSale.com. Within the hour I received an e-mail from BestBrandValues.com thanking me for becoming a member of their club and telling me that unless I canceled my "membership" within three days my credit card on file will be charged $19.95 monthly. Wow, that was fast. Their website didn't indicate you'd become a member when you purchased a book. I've tried to cancel by calling their toll-free [protected] but it is always answered by a recorder.

Comments

• Rs
      Jul 16, 2009

Same thing happened to me. I put a complaint in with the Florida Attorney Generals Office because that is where they are located and would hope that you would do the same. Also, I am going to start a website about them. My email is [protected]@yahoo.com if you want to join me.

• Ea
      Aug 07, 2009

Another one here. They are quick to cancel the membership but still want to retain the first $19.95 they charge you after those 3 days. These are just scam artists, beware! I will be filing a comlpaint too, though I doubt it will change anything - they will just re-open under a different name...

• Va
      Aug 10, 2009

The same happened to me. What a scam!!! Stick with Amazon for books!!!

• Pe
      Aug 25, 2009

I just experienced the same issue (the charge appeared for the first time this morning for a purchase I made last Thursday. It's clever of the rip-off company not to show the charge till 3 days have passed, huh?).

However, I called the main customer service number; when the rep tried to tell me that the 3-day time period to cancel had lapsed, I denounced her company as a scam, said I would get the Texas and Florida attorney general involved as well as the FTC and Chase Bank. I said that I saw the box to check for a subscription but left it unchecked.

I have no doubt that my forceful tone finally convinced her she had a tiger by the tail. She sent a 'cancelation' notice to my e-mail address immediately.

Now, I am following through with filing complaints with all the entities I've listed--TODAY, Aug. 25, 2009.

Penny

• Th
      Aug 28, 2009

Same thing happened to me! Scam artists to get you to get a discount on books.

Aug 28, 2009

Same thing happened to me but I never got the email saying that I joined. When I called to cancell their 7 day expediated delivery they told me I was a member of their website. I didnt know that as this email that was supposed to come the same day as my order e mail which I did get never came.

To make matters worse I never got the book! I was home and checking the mail all week. The USPS delivery confo has the wrong zip code. So they say you got the book but it never came either.

Mike in Atlanta
    [protected]@aol.com

Aug 28, 2009

Same thing happened to me. But I never got this e mail they say they sent AFTER purchase telling me I am in their club and owe for membership too.
    I did cancel my expedited shipping within 7 days...will see if I get a credit for that.

But worse yet THE BOOK NEVER CAME! He gave me a postal confo/track that I entered and it had the wrong zip code on it but shows accepted. I checked the mail each day all week. The place is a scam. Some say it is in Floida but I think it could be outside the USA possibly...as you can have a FLorida telephone anywhere in the world nowdays and use a middleman to ship. The software for address city etc is a FOREIGN type of software.

Mike in Atlanta.

Aug 29, 2009

I purchased 4 books and when I paid my credit card bill I noticed an additional charge for $19.95. I called and was told this was a membership fee. I didn't know anything about it. They continue to charge until you cancel. Unbelievable!

• Cj
      Sep 16, 2009

Wish I would have found this website a week ago. Ordered the book and was fully aware of these hidden memberships so made extra sure to uncheck the box that said free 3 day membership. I even paid for shipping by not joining the club and they still charged me the 19.95. To top everything else off the book has never came. The phone number for the company does not work. I emailed them and did get a timely response back but was complete b.s about how there is no way to not buy a book without becoming a member. I would tell anyone I know never to buy from this company ever!!!

Pissed off in phoenix

• Da
      Sep 19, 2009

I had the thing happen to me when I order a dvd from a company call oldies, The charge was from hsm, on my bank statement, They said it was a charge for membership, Seems they have a way to charge you a membership. when you just want to order something, And when you call to complaint and find out, they say we send you notice on your email, I do not remember getting the email, plus I would think it junk mail,
    Just be awhare from the company, and pay attention to your bank statement.

• Wg
      Oct 05, 2009

The BestBrandValues company is nothing but a crooked SCAM. They use deception to get your credit card information and they commit you to a $19.95 membership. It looks like another branch of ACORN. I did notice the email saying I was going to be charged and cancelled my credit card in time to beat them. I think they got this info when I ordered a book. I got a notice from the book company saying the book was currently unavailable. There is a lot of ### in the world.

• Le
      Oct 16, 2009

These crooks tried the same scam on me when I ordered a book which had a 5$ discount...nothing said that I had to join a membership and pay $19.95 a month 3 days after ordering. Plus the book was unavailable. This is pure FRAUD plain and simple. The stupid male representative was rude too!

• Be
      Dec 14, 2009

If you attempt to contact the Florida Attorney General's office - you will need the company's legel name and street address. The following was found by locating the "Whois" record for BestBrandValues.com domain:

Domain name: bestbrandvalues.com

Creation date: 27 Mar 2009 13:47:01
    Expiration date: 27 Mar 2010 13:47:00

• Ed
      Dec 26, 2009

They are still signing you up to their 19.95/mo charge when you try to buy sonething at a different company. Did it to me 12/25/2009. Their automated system did not take for me. I got the agent and they gave me a cancellation number. And said they would send an email of cancellation. Not a quick easy call. McAffee has not rated this one yet, McAffee says.

• Th
      Jan 20, 2010

The same thing happened to me. I didn't realize they were charging my credit card until 7 months after I purchased the DVDs. I'm thinking I actually ordered them through Amazon.com and that that's the reason that I didn't see anything about the quote unquote membership or membership fee. I have spoken with them and they won't refund anything. They cancelled my membership. This is definitely fraud. I have reported them to a national fraud agency.

• Ml
      Mar 30, 2010

I just recieved my bank statement and 2 charges were taken out of my account for 9.95 for membership fees. no emails or comfirmation concerning a membership sign-up. im pissed and they are not going to get away with this. trust me. ordered a book through HOTMOVIESALES.COM!!!

• Cr
      Apr 04, 2010

I ordered a few books about a week ago from this same company, which arrived yesterday. I had called them last week after seeing they were trying to charge me twice for my single order. When I called them on it they kept saying that "I" must not be looking at my bank account correctly. But when I said I can email or fax them a copy of my statement they then told me they will correct their error. Well today I go into my account once again and see yet ANOTHER charge for $19.95. I called them once again and they said "we sent you warnng emails that you were going to be signed up for a membership" . I NEVER received the said emails.
    when I told the lady that they can't just go signing people up and putting charges on bank or credit card accounts thats don't belong to them. She tried to talk about said email warnings. I advised her that I would be taking legal action along with notifying the BBB and let her know that it would cost her company more cause not only would they have to return my 19.95, but also I would charge them interest and they would have to pay all legal fee's. She was then quick to send me 2 emails 1. for refund of my 19.95 and 2. that membership they illegally put me on cancelled. I will still be reporting them

Apr 05, 2010

I ordered a cook book. From this order they set up a monthly deduction of $9.95 per month.
    I called them to get their address and they said I could not return the book. They would not give me their adddress or last names. SCAM! I have contacted my bank and am sending the book back to either their designated P.O. Box or this address which I just learned of. Waiste of time!!

• Pa
      Apr 26, 2010

I ordered a book and saw that it was free shipping. I saw nothing about a membership fee and got no warning emails regarding that charge. I check my credit cards online regularly and that's where I found the extra charges. $1.00 for something not specified and $9.95 as a monthly recurring membership fee.

I tried the phone number they have on their contact page and the recording said that line was only for outgoing calls.

So I called my credit card company immediately and had the two extra charges reversed and blocked all further charges from them.

The credit card employee tried to talk to them but they put him on hold a long time. He hung up finally.

That is the second thing, after trying to contact these people directly, anybody should do when they have this kind of thing happen. Use your credit card company's dispute department. They will fix the problem for you.

In fact, some of you are not getting what you ordered when you are successful in getting these lowlifes on the phone. Perhaps it's best to go straight to your credit card company and block the charges before attempting to contact them.

I went to BBB Online and reported them.

I also posted this situation on every blog site where I participate warning others about this site.

• Ju
      Jun 22, 2010

I was warned at the time of my order that I had 30 days to cancel. When I did cancel the automated system did not give me the whole info I wanted (cancellation confirmation #) when I spoke with a live agent I received excellent service, the fact my acct. was closed and a confirmation # and an email to confirm this has been done. Only reason I cancelled was I never received any information regarding their service. Oh well, their lost !!!

Jun 26, 2010

I order a book with this company that has the best price than anyone. I should Have something was not right because their price was the best. but then after 7days I was charge for $10.95 for membership. The $1.00 is for the first week and that i has one week tocancel my membership. But i did not see any membership that I was sign into. Then I when on their website and and told Him that i did not see anywhere that buying this book will also get me in this membership which is a scam. They know me they sent me 2 email on it which i did not get, all i got was the book that i order. On Clark Howard show some one call about tis company and Howard said that The information on the membership is so small that it would be hard to read and understand. So I file a complaint with BBB and after three day od email wih tis company they refunded my $9.95. I don't understand how this company can do this and nothing being done!

• Sc
      Oct 13, 2010

These people rip off customers...they need to be put out of business.

• Re
      Jan 05, 2011

I bought a book from Hot Book Sales for 27.75 last April 2010. I found out on December 30th while checking all my accounts because I am a victim of Identity Theft that Hot Book Sales has been taking out of my bank account $ 19.95 since April without my authorization and owed me now $ 160.00. I have reported them to the claims board and the policy. The authorities need to stop this company for committing fraud and for robing their customers. Rebeca in California [protected]

• Il
      Mar 02, 2011
    BestBrandValues.com - Stay away from Bestbrandvalues.com
    Bestbrandvalues.com
    bestbrandvalues.com

I placed a large order for books on a Wednesday, get an email on Friday evening saying my 3 day free trial membership is over on Saturday and I will be charged $19.95/month or I can call their 24/7 phone line to cancel. Conveniently enough the phone line is a perpetual busy signal. So I tried to cancel online where you click to cancel membership and it asks for your password, which again I did not setup. They have the whole site rigged for you to fail at cancelling any supposed membership that you signed up for yet they still have all of your information available to them.

The entire search engines need to be informed of their fraudulent activity so that they will be removed from key optimization words when people search for certain products. My bank said for me to file an online fraud police report and bring it back to the bank so I can get my money back. Everyone that gets ripped off like this needs to do this so they don’t keep walking away with our money.

People we have to fight this corruption and stop this company and others like it from making a living off of our misfortunate trust.

• Ga
      Jul 05, 2011

This company has been charging me 19.95 a month since December. Like everyone else, I was unaware of agreeing to a membership when I ordered 2 books. Today I called the company at [protected] and stayed on the line for the operator. I got through to a real person, who announced that this was " Smart Saving Center." So they have changed their name from Discount Book Sale.
    They agreed to cancel my membership and refund me $59..90. I don't know what made me agree to this since they "stole" $136.00 of my money by charging me membership fees I did not even agree to.
    I will contact my credit card company and also the BBB.
    I am the person who said I would let you know what transpires with my dealing with this scam company.

• Di
      Jul 06, 2011

I ordered a book in Nov 2010 from DiscountBookSale.com and since have been billed by BBV-Best Brand Values and rebategiant.com claiming I filled out a survey that enrolled me. I don't fill out online surveys and don't use rebates. To my knowledge, I did not knowingly subscribe to these services. Called the CC# and cancelled but that doesn't get my money back! 6 mos of $9.95 twice a month by BBV and Rebategiant. All she said is that it's legal! (I never used these services or changed passwords to these hijacked accounts) That $15 book cost me over $120...

This is fraudulent use of my info given to buy a book - NOT to subscribe to services I NEVER use. This complaint is filed against
    rebategiant.com, Best Brand Values (BBV), and DiscountBookSale.com (all in Boca Raton, FL @ P.O.BOX 810365) for their fraudulent use of my billing info and unethical marketing and billing practices.

This is fraud! Buried somewhere in my book order from an entirely
    different named company, was this membership that I absolutely do not want. This is a scam between discountbooksale.com Best Brand Values (BBV) and RebateGiant.com to get the credit card info for the sale of a book and then share that info and begin billing by TWO other companies without my approval.

File camplaints online with the BBB in Boca Raton FL and with your State and florida's Attorney General consumer Mail/internet Fraud.

• Mu
      Aug 03, 2011

I just discovered that I've been a "member" of BBV*HOTMOVIESALE.COM for 2 years, at $9.95 a month, because I purchased 1 DVD from them (It wasn't available anywhere else.)!!! I'm sure I never agreed to join, nor did I get notification of a trial period. During those 2 years, I never received anything by mail or email to indicate that I was a member of anything! My credit card company was able to contact the company & I spoke with a representative, who was very nice. He cancelled my "membership" & sent me email verification that same day. He, also, credited the most recent charge. So, I guess the DVD cost me approximately $190 over the cost I realized I was paying. I am flaming mad, at them & at myself for not reading more carefully & examining my credit card bills with a fine-toothed comb! It is obscene that companies can get away with this!