Best Buy / Lexmark Printer / don't buy lexmark printers nor shop at best buy!

Thorold, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

Hello everyone.

I want to let you all know that I purchased a Lexmark printer @ Best Buy just over 2 years ago. It was part of a package of computers and accessories worth over $5,000 in that one purchase. Over the years, I have spent thousands of dollars at Best Buy.

A while back the Lexmark printer wasn't working properly so I took it back to Best Buy as I had paid for an extended warranty. I was without a printer for the many weeks that it took to get fixed three times. On the third time, I purchased another Lexmark printer to use as I run a small business. The third time Best Buy said they couldn't fix it and gave me the Lexmark printer as a replacement.

Today that Lexmark printer also quit: it wouldn't print out faxes when received; and would only type a full page instead of an envelope. I took it back to Best Buy and they now inform me that I am not covered by the Extended Service Warranty as they replaced the Lexmark printer. I argued that I had paid for a three year warranty which has not expired yet, but Best Buy insisted that once the printer was replaced the warranty was finished.

Nobody told me that at the time. The manager at Best Buy said that it was in the service contract and they don't have time to go over the service contract with customers as they (customers) are not interested, and Best Buy does not have the time. It was up to me to read the contract (fine print).

I argued as I was very upset that I had spent thousands of dollars at Best Buy and I understood that I was still covered by the extended service warranty. They refunded me $50 for the warranty and that was it!

I run a small business and look after my equipment which doesn't get a lot of use, but when I need something, I want to rely on it.

I recommend to everyone that they not shop at Best Buy nor purchase a Lexmark printer as they are of very poor quality based on my personal experiences.

Ron James
Va

Comments

Re
  1st of Feb, 2008
Any LEXMARK products for home pc use. Yeah, they seem cheap and inexpensive. But they are a con-job right out of the box. Even after thousands of hours on the phone and online with service personel trying to troubleshoot the problem.

The box usually says:ALL-IN-ONE printer,copier,fax,scanner. They are a piece-O-junk and doesn't do anything well at all. The only things it does well is make blurry copies, ruin paper, waste ink, and electricity.

If you are in the market for a home printing device and see a LEXMARK product on the shelf at your local electronics store. I think you are better off keeping your money safely secured in your pocket.
Te
  1st of Mar, 2008
You know... you did sign for the contract, the onus is on you to understand to what your buying and agreeing.
Je
  20th of Apr, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
If you purchase an extended warranty for a product which fails and you are given a brand new product to replace the defective one, why in the hell would you assume that this new product comes with another extended warranty? You paid for a printer, you paid $50 for a warranty for your printer, you broke your printer, you got a new printer, you broke your new printer and then you wanted a third new printer? Are you insane?
Hi
  7th of Jun, 2008
Jeff hit the nail right on the head. You already had one printer replaced with the extended warranty, how can you assume it will also work on the second one?
Sh
  9th of Feb, 2009
I agree that in reality no one cares for customers. It is nice to post complaints on the net so that others can be careful. Like i was thinking to buy Lexmark printer and after reading this complaint immediately cancelled all the Lexmark related offers.

Thanks for the guidance. As regards Bestbuy, my experience is also some what similar that you need to hassle them to get what was promised to you. When you go back, they come out with a different meaning of the same thing. Bestbuy should rename them as Smartbuy.
Ha
  4th of Nov, 2009
Best Buy did a similar thing to me in Kansas City. I said "So what you are telling me is that I'm basically screwed due to corporate policy and that my extended warranty doesn't mean a thing" the store manager said "I've been in Retail 20 years and this kind of thing happens all the time."
Da
  10th of Dec, 2009
I just purchased a model X5650 that advertises on the box it had a quick connetion port for a laptop. The lexmark website also has a demo of this model showing a laptop being plugged into the front of the printer. After installing the software and verifying the printer was working, I tried to plug my laptop in and found no port on the front of the printer. When I called Lexmark they said they had discontinued putting the port on the front of the printer and the only printer port was the primary port on the back of the printer. They were unconcerned that the advertising on their box and website was incorrect.

Best Buy Logo Best Buy