Best Buy / asked to leave the store?

1 Leesburg, VA, United States Review updated:

This story occurred right before the Christmas. As a loyal BestBuy customer, I was treated unfair by a Leesburg, VA BestBuy Store manager and asked to leave.

I ordered an item using my virtual credit card number over the Internet and then selected “in-store pickup” to save the shipping charge. When I went to the store with the printed email proof, my driver’s license, and the virtual credit card number with CVC code and expiration date information to the Leesburg, VA BestBuy to pick up my item, I was told that I could not get the item, though my credit card is already charged. The reason was that they have to see the physical card used to purchase this item. A virtual card, according to this store manager, would not be acceptable.

To ensure online shopping security, my credit card can provide consumers the option to generate a temporary credit card number that can be set with an expiration date and credit limit (normally preferably to be the same or slightly larger than the price of purchased product). I, as many as many online shoppers, have applauded for the virtual credit card system. By this means, customers can take the advantage of the e-commerce or e-shopping with limited concerns about credit card safety.

When I tried to explain what the virtual credit card number was to this store manage, Mr. Don B., he did not show any interest of listening. Instead, he said, ”no matter what, without the credit card, I cannot give you the item.” When I asked him what I can do since my credit card was charged and the item was a Christmas gift that I needed to get for my friend before Christmas, he said the only option I had was to call BestBuy Online and cancel the order. If it were not a Christmas gift and timing was not an issue, I could just follow what he said to save the hassle. However, timing was really important and in the email BestBuy sent to me, the item is available now in the store for me to pick up. Then, I suggested, “how about I call BestBuy Online and you can talk with them directly so that you can see I am the exact person for the item and there would be no concern to pick up the item then”. Even then, I was still thinking that he might be a good manager just trying to defend customer’s product safety. However, he refused to participate in the efforts.

In fact, I, as a customer, have not made a mistake in ordering the item, paid with my virtual credit card number, and came to the local store to pick up my item. This issue was originally only related to BestBuy’s policy that did not consider the option for virtual credit card number. When the problem occurred, the store manager, instead of trying to help frustrated customer out, refused to participate in any possible remedial efforts. Even when the customer offered the patience trying to solve the problem with the store manager’s participation, he just flatly refused. It is not the way a store manager is supposed to behave, based on my understanding of American retail managers’ roles.

When the option of talking with BestBuy Online was refused, I expressed to him my frustration, “I cannot believe this. It is paid with my virtual credit card number, I offered my driver’s license, my virtual credit card number with CVC codes; if there is any other information, I have no problem to offer; but how comes I just cannot get my order?!”. This store manager said, ”mam, further talking about it will not get you the product. I will have to ask you to leave.” I asked, “what? Asking me to leave? What makes you this right? I am coming to pick up my order that is paid, but I am asked to leave?” He said, ”yes, I ask you to leave. If you do not leave now, I will call police.” When I asked for what reason he can call police for this, he said because I yelled to him. I wish I had video recorded all this. I yelled? Ridiculous! Maximally, I might have slightly raised my voice when I was so frustrated, but I did not yell! Why would I yell? I was talking to him and just try to get my order that I paid. Why would I need to yell then?

The funny thing is that he then wanted me to leave immediately. For him, it seemed that one more second of my presence in store, even just look around the store, would threaten him and he wanted me to disappear immediately.

I left BestBuy, and feel the whole thing is so ridiculous!

Comments

• Li
      27th of Dec, 2008

This complaint seems to be in line with the outcome of my experience at Best Buy: The Best Buy manager did not do what was necessary to make the customer's shopping experience successful. It seems that they are trained to get rid of unhappy customers instead of doing whatever it takes to resolve the situation. I shop online with virtual account numbers, just like this customer does, for obvious safety reasons, and see no reason why it should have caused any problems with store pick-up. It's not a new thing and is very common. Come on Best Buy, get with the times! LISTEN to your customers and train your employees with better customer service before you lose all your customers. I'm going to Fry's!

• Ge
      25th of Jun, 2009

Too bad so sad. You can go to another BB though. Or just go to BBB.com and file a complaint towards the store. That will get their gears working. Duh.

2nd of Dec, 2016

I had same problem - although in past I was able to pick up without even being asked for the credit card, so in this instance I did not print anything out with the virtual CC #. I think the nice employee would have given me the item if I could have told him the last 4 digits of the card, but since I didn't have it, he called a manager who said that she had to see the card. Period. Not even the last 4 digits of the card would do (which by this time I had found.)
    She did offer to cancel the online order, and charge over again the item and honor the same online price - which I reluctantly did - but it really left me quite upset at the her attitude and demeanor, etc. to the point that I will definitely try and avoid doing ANY business with Best Buy.