Best Buy/geek Squad / tv repair took forever

PA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-888-bestbuy
Our television we bought at Best Buy and also had a 4 year service plan on, suddenly got all messed up. The screen just went gray one day and stayed that way. We immediately called best buy and were on hold for over an hour. Finally, we got someone to come out to the house, about a week later. He came out, told us what was wrong, said he'd order the part and come back to fix it. He sid 3-5 business days and he'd call us back. Two weeks went by, and nothing. So we went into the local store in Wilkes-Barre Twp. They said they couldn't do anything, but they did call the 888 Best Buy number for us, were also on hold for an hour and were told that the part is on back order, with no estimated arrival time. The customer service person told the people on the line that we then would need a new tv immdiately, as it had been at this point, 3 weeks since we have been without a tv and called to complain about it. (This is our only tv in the house, and it was a new plasma.) Anyway, they stated they would call us back in - you guess it! - 3 - 5 business days with an RA number. A week goes by and nothing. I call them back, and the guy tells me that the part has been shipped, so no need for an RA number and I should get a call back from him to confirm it in 1 business day. I was semi-satisfied, but this was a Friday and I now had to wait all weekend. Well, another week goes by and still haven't heard anything, so we called them yet AGAIN and they now tell us that we didn't get an RA number since we did not have a service plan, and no the part is still on backorder, never shipped. I was furious. First of all, we do have a service plan. We paid a few hundred bucks for a four year service plan! I told her this and she said she was very sorry, she'd be sure to get this matter taken care of asap and call me back in - wait for it, now - 3 - 5 business days!!! No, no, no...no calls whatsoever. It's been over a month and a we have no tv, and no help. Finally, I call them back and they say my part finally came in, and they scheduled a service date. Only to then be told they are waiting on yet another part, this one also on backorder. I was fuming. Aftera month and a half, we were called and told no, they didn't ever need another part. Just the one they have been sitting and waiting with! So they come out a week after that, and it's supposed to be between 8 and 12 on a Monday, and he calls to say neverminf, it's going to be 2pm. Then he calls and says no it's 3:30. Well the technician FINALLY comes at quarter to 6pm. My husband helps him take the tv off the wall and they guy gave US an attitude. He also took a call from another irate customer while in our living room, and he got an attitude with her. He was supposed to be at her house earlier that day also and he was now telling her 8pm! On a Monday? He then explains himself by saying he should've gotten up earlier that morning, but he was too busy watching football the night before and got outta bed late. Class act, Best Buy and Geek Squad. It took 2 months to get a tv fixed when we paid for a 4 year service plan, plus the tv wass till under a warranty. This is the service we get. We weren't contacted once. I am never shopping at best buy agaon and I told everyone how horrible the geek squad is. The thing is though, everyone already knew that.
Re

Comments

Da
  17th of Nov, 2008
I am in the same boat. Waited five days for them to come out and tell me they need a part. Then I get put into the cue again and have to wait over a eek for them to come out and put the part in. Several calls to Best Buy have not resolved it. They have twice told me that a Supervisor from the service department would call me back. Haven't got a call yet!
Da
  12th of May, 2009
My Samsung DLP broke Sunday. I called BestBuy because I bought the TV there and was connected to GeekSquad. TV was of course a few months out of extended warranty. I was told the service call would be $150, (which I thought was rather high), whether they fixed the TV or not. However, I agreed to the charge because they said they could come the next day. I sat home all day today waiting for my 1 to 4 appointment. I called about 11:00 and was assured the repairman would be at my home between 1:00 to 3. I called back at 3 and was told maybe he was running late. I called at 5:00 and was told they had rescheduled my appointment for a date over two weeks away!! I asked who rescheduled and why and was not given an answer. I told them there were enough other repair places in town that they could cancel the appointment entirely as I was not waiting two weeks, with no guarantee they would even show up then!!! From everything I have been reading on the internet, I'm probably lucky that they DIDN"T show-up. Who knows how long it would have taken them to order the part and come back to install it!!!
Mu
  8th of Oct, 2009
yep - If you like waiting 4-5 weeks until your TV gets fixed...then the GeekSquad is for you. My Panasonic 50" Plasma has broken twice since I bought it in Dec 2008. Both times, it takes 4-5 weeks to have a working TV again. It's STUPID!

Geek Squad Logo Geek Squad