Best Buydefective product/lack of customer service

On Thursday, March 22, 2018, I attempted to return an LG sound bar I purchased from Best Buy on January 5, 2018. I had all receipts and peripheral items with me. The issue was an easy one. The item performed at first but then simply quit working. More specifically, it began to work intermittently and then quit altogether. I took the item back to the store I originally purchased it from, store # 254, 6315 E. Southern Avenue, Mesa, AZ 85206. I asked for a refund as the item failed to perform. I was told that was not possible as Best Buy's agreement with the manufacturer was such that the item needed to be sent back for repair. I immediately informed them that I did not want a repaired item back, but wanted a refund instead so I could pursue other avenues for my needs. I asked to see the manager and again explained what I wanted. He flatly refused and had a "take it or leave it" attitude. I really had no choice and the manager told me so. I could simply abandon the item there and take a loss, or get back a repaired item. Moreover, I would have to come back to the store to pick it up once repaired. Not even a courtesy of sending the repaired item to my home. Customer Service? Yes, when the customer does all the work I suppose. I then asked for the name and address of the Area Manager. I was told there was no address. Baloney. Just trying to put off a customer. I did get a name and number but, after several attempts to contact the alleged Area Manager, all I get is that the "Verizon customer is not available to take calls" recording. And, no opportunity to leave a message. Again baloney. This is customer service? This is nothing but a sham and Best Buy hiding behind a shaky policy that leaves the paying customer lost in the weeds. An Area Manager that has no business address and provides no way to leave a message? I'm not at all surprised that Amazon is outperforming and out selling Best Buy by a lager margin. I know these things rarely, if ever, get resolved, but felt compelled to document it. Customers will vote with their pocketbooks and feet. Shame on Best Buy.

• Updated by ggg0222, Mar 23, 2018

No update, no resolution. Best Buy has no desire to cooperate.

Gg
Mar 23, 2018

Comments

• Ge
      Mar 23, 2018

Hi. I appreciated reading your concerns.

I'd like to help, if I'm able to. Am I correct in understanding that you purchased this sound bar and wanted to return it for a full refund two and a half months later? Did you purchase additional warranty coverage on this unit?

Please note, if this issue has already been resolved to your acceptance, you do not need to respond to this text.

• Gg
      Mar 23, 2018

@General Service You are correct and no I did not purchase additional warranty. A simple sound bar should not become defective in such a short time. I wanted a full refund, would have taken a new replacement barring that, but it was not offered. I was boxed into a corner and had no recourse. Then the runaround and the shady/murky Area Manager that no one can contact. Paying customers should be given more options and also given common courtesy. From where I sit, Best Buy is on borrowed time and they feel no need to cooperate with customers.

Mar 23, 2018

@ggg0222 I appreciate your perspective. Give me some more of your insight ; what is the length of time that the retailer should take merchandise back and provide a refund?

You've had yours about three months. What about six months or a year? Surely the sound bar should last that long. In fact, wouldn't one expect the unit to last for years? Should that mean a retailer should somehow bring it back for that period of time?

Look forward to hearing back from you so I can possibly help.

Mar 24, 2018

By your response, or lack thereof in this case, I would believe you understand the quandary.

Warranty coverage can be a very important part of any purchase. One should ultimately consider the length of coverage expected and what one wants to have happen if a problem takes place.

In this case, you had owned and used the product for nearly three months; thankfully, Best Buy handled getting the bar back to LG. That deserves more of a big thank you versus that of a complaint.

Wish I could provide something more, but it sounds as you'd even agree at this point that what was done was far beyond what should be expected.

Thanks for letting us know your concerns.