Best BuyI swear geek squad is a joke

I think it is crazy that a so called geek squad knows less that me about computers and I am a 21 year old girl. On the first occasion that I learned about their stupidity, my dad took his laptop in because he got a virus and needed the files off his computer. These are very important files and the so called geek squad sent his computer out and said that his hard drive was fried. He sent the laptop to HIS I.T. people and they pulled the files off in minutes. THEN today I took my brand new laptop in because the internet wasn't working, no matter what I did. They barely looked at it and said there was nothing they could do. If I wanted a replacement I'd have to pay a 15% restocking fee. Well then why did I pay for a warrenty!!! I swear geek squad is a joke. They should have to have a BA or something.

Al

Comments

• Aw
      Apr 08, 2010

It depends on the intelligence of the actual squad member. Some are prolific in the art of computing, others are goddamn IT wannabes. Next time, talk to a squad member about a subject in computing and gage their intelligence on the matter. Might help if you do go to them again.

• Ar
      Apr 28, 2010

"These are very important files and the so called geek squad sent his computer out and said that his hard drive was fried. He sent the laptop to HIS I.T. people and they pulled the files off in minutes."
    Your IT Department knows exactly which files are needed by your dad.
    Geek Squad doesn't. It's like looking for a needle in a stack of needles...
    They may have been improperly trained, it's true. Or they may not have wanted to be liable for "very important data". Honestly, if this data is "very important", your dad should be aware of how to back it up. And have multiple back ups. Thumb drives cheap? Check. 95% of computers today sold with a CDR or DVDR drive? Check. Lack of education by you and your dad? Check.

"THEN today I took my brand new laptop in because the internet wasn't working"
    Your internet wasn't working (many complex parts, not solely a hardware issue), and you want to return the entire laptop? I would slap you with a fee too. Did you call your Internet Service Provider? Did you determine that it was the fault of the hardware? Or did you have expectations that they perform all relevent troubleshooting for you, and consult your ISP that you pay for on your behalf (using all your own personal information?).

I don't think Geek Squad has proper computer training for your expectations. Most people that consult with an IT company (like Geek Squad) expect them to wave a magic wand and suddenly everything is better again. It just doesn't happen. Lay out EXACTLY what it is you want, and EXACTLY what you expect of the services you are purchasing (Geek Squad). If they fail to meet those expectations after you purchase service and state what it is you want, THEN you have a legitimate complaint.

Keep in mind, they probably maybe 12-15/hr. Are you SERIOUSLY stating that they need a 4-year college degree to make that money? REALLY?

I disagree with your complaint. Not on the grounds that Geek Squad is poorly trained. On the grounds that your complaint is poorly formed, and you fail to state what it is you seek. You also misspell "warranty" and demand a BA (Arts, really... for computers?) of customer service reps. You don't state any complaints about customer service, or how the reps treated you.

Note: I don't work for Geek Squad, have never worked for Geek Squad, and not affiliated with Geek Squad or Best Buy. But I have been in IT for quite some time. And people like you that spout of complaints in a ranting fashion such as this expecting anyone in the computer world to have a magic-fix EASY button simply doesn't understand technology. I doubt you even comprehend the basics of computers, customer service, IT, or even retail sales. I would ask what you do for a living, but I'm afraid you work in/around/with computers, and don't comprehend in the least how they actually function.

COMPLAINT DISMISSED!

•   Aug 08, 2019

And welcome to the reason why God created BACKUP discs/USB flash drives!!!