Best Buy / fraudulent charges

I purchased about 600 dollars of merchandise from Best Buy at 18 months interest free. I attempted to pay my bill online on December 26, 2008. My payment was not due until 8 days later on January 3, 2009. When I got online, I learned that the payment could not be paid because I was too late.

Eight days prior to my bill being due, was too late according to Best Buy. I was charged a $39.00 late fee.

I receive my bills online. No paper bills. I did not receive a bill online which payment was due on February 3, 2009. Once again I was charged a $39, 00 late charge by Best Buy. I believe they are fraudulently charging customers late fees.

I closed my account soon after the second late fee.

To

Comments

• Mo
      27th of Jul, 2008
    Best Buy - Late charges
    Baltimore
    Maryland
    Phone: 800-365-0292
    www.bestbuy.com

I mailed my payment 4 days before the due date, because that's when I got my pay check. I don't know why they didn't receive it in time, but I don't believe I should be so severely punished on such a small account.

• Va
      11th of Sep, 2008
    Best Buy - Bad buy
    #662 Tiger Town
    Opelika
    Alabama
    bestbuy.com

I bought a insignia tv from Best Buy it quit playing after only 2 months. I now have spent almost 2 months trying to get someone to fix it. The repairman that they assigned me to will not call or come and get the tv. I have a factory warranty and a extended warranty but cannot get anything done about my tv. I call Best Buy to ask if i can take it back to the store and get a new tv they said i couldn't take it back.

• As
      29th of Sep, 2008

All credit cards come from HSBC BANK not Best Buy. Best Buy has nothing to do with the credit card other than they accept applications for them at their store and allow customers to have financing options. best buy isnt punishing you for paying late - HSBC is. Make payments online and you wont be charged late fees

• Va
      17th of Oct, 2008

I noticed on a recent Best Buy Credit Card Statement that Bets Buy 'allowed' me to go over my credit limit by nearly $800.00 dollars. When I called and asked how this could be possible, the response was that Best Buy did not want me to be embarrassed at the point of sale.

I responded that Best Buy should be embarrassed by engaging in this type of practice: collecting more on late and interest fees. Nothing can be done. I am going to get caught-up and zero-out the balance.

It is no wonder why the nation is in such a crisis: a balance between undisciplined consumers and unscrupulous creditors.

• Al
      24th of Oct, 2008
    Best Buy - sexal harrasment
    best buy
    state collage/chapman
    Orange
    California

mike the store manger asked my wife out for a date.she told him she was married. he said he didn't care he just wants to ###. he said runs all the best buy's.like the one in costa mase and the one in orange. he said he will take care of her if she would have sex with him.now my wife is afried to go to that store.she thinks he's going to rape her.

• Ra
      29th of Oct, 2008

I call "bogus" on this one.

28th of Nov, 2008
    Police investigator - thieves
    best buy
    Elmira
    New York

You will hove no recourse by the wat deceptive way they defraud you. Best to go elsewhere! Anyplace else!

• Ge
      15th of Dec, 2008
    Best Buy - Worst service ever
    Best Buy

Have been attempting to replace a flat screen LCD TV that has no picture for 3 months.. have both the manufacturers and Best Buy's warranty... the lack of response and complexity of the service system much be designed to screw the customer.. still no TV... NEVER BUY FROM BEST BUY.

• Bi
      26th of Dec, 2008

haha stupid

13th of Jan, 2009

11/12/08 the Geek Squad came out to fix my computer because I could not sign in or anything! So the 'tech' tells me that he had to completely strip it. The cost to me $299. I guess that's what he did because it seemed to work slightly for a few days but nothing like it did before. Then it reverted back to to not working.

I called GS back the first week of Nov.(supposedly had 30 day warranty). Naturally they sent out a different 'tech' who told me it would cost another $299 to fix. I told him to go. I then checked around and found another man that a friend recommended. He came and told me that GS should have told me on the first call that I should buy a new computer because it's so trashed. That I did for less than $500. I do not recommend the Geek Squad!!

• Iw
      13th of Jan, 2009
    Best Buy - 1 day late-called at work!
    Illinois

I was one day late paying my Best Buy account and received a call from HR accounts. Best Buy had already sent my account to collections! In addition to this HR accounts called me at work! This is rediculous!

• Ri
      19th of Feb, 2009

I purchased a computer. The sales associate said system recovery discs do not come with the computer, and must be purchased by the manufacturer for $59, or best Buy can do it in the store for $39. We hade them do it in the store. When we got home we caw in the manual that recovery discs can be made for free. I complained to Best Buy, but they refused to refund my money.

• To
      13th of Mar, 2009
    Best Buy - Unauthorized billing
    bestbuy.com

I am also a victim of this Deffered Finance Charges made on my Best Buy Store Credit Card. At first they reduce my available credit limit and now they are charging me $391.77 for Billed Deffered Finance Charges. I have been paying my account every month without being late. This one time charges is misleading.

• Je
      26th of Mar, 2009

So...What have you figured out this is for, and do you have to end up paying it? My boyfriend is dealing with the same thing. He is being charged $309. We don't understand where this is coming from. Let me know what you figured out with it!!!

13th of Apr, 2009

### that, get that ###in money! quit holding her back!!

• Ke
      14th of Jun, 2009

I went into best buy to purchase a home computer on 5-18-09. I found the computer I was interested in, and when the salesman came over to help me, and informed me of the price. I asked him about the price of the monitors, and he told me they were $139.00. I told him that I really needed a new monitor too, but couldnt afford one at this time, and that I could barely afford the computer. He then proceeds to tell me that if I purchase this computer, I need to have some Microsoft office product for it work, and that costs $150.00. I asked him if I dont buy this extra product will I have access to email or media player, and he tells me that I would not, because microsoft doesnt download any of that on there computers anymore, and you need this product to be able to do anything. I live on a fixed income, so I couldnt afford the extra $150.00, so I did not buy the computer and left the store. Later that same day, coworkers of mine informed me that I did NOT need this extra product to have access to those things, so I went back to the store and bought the computer. My coworkers were right, I did not need that extra $150.00 product, I have had access to those things without it. The sales person was just trying to get me to purchase things I did not need. Three weeks later the computer stops working... I call Best Buy, and tell them about it, and that I have a receipt, and they refuse to help me. They tell me it is over 14 days and there is nothing that they can do, and then they tell me it is under manufactures warrenty, and I can take it to Geek Squad and they can send it away to fix it. I go into the store, and while I am there I find out there was a promotion running when I bought my computer that I could have also gotten the monitor for an additional $26.00, and no one told me, not even after I asked about the monitor prices and said I couldnt afford the extra $139.00. Then Geek Squad tells me that they can send my computer away, and it will take about a month for me to get it back. The guy also tells me that they will probably replace my hard drive, and I will lose everything on my computer. I told him the problem was with the DVD/CD Writer and not with the hard drive, so why would they replace it, and he said they almost always do.. He wanted me to sign some part of the form saying I refused hard drive back up, and when I asked him what it meant that I refused hard drive back up, he said, "Just sign the form". I was so upset about not having a computer for a month, and the way I was treated, that I told him to just give me my computer back. I then called corporate customer service, and they treated me just as rudely. They basically said, there is nothing we can do to help you. It is over 14 days, and you need to just send it away to get fixed. It was three weeks, not three months since I bought this computer, and the service was HORRIBLE. I will never buy another piece of merchandise from this company. My family also said they are going to stop shopping at Best Buy too after this, because they have had some problems in the past..

• Gn
      17th of Jun, 2009

@ Kevin Englert

It sounds like there is some confusion and misinterpretation of the products and services that best buy offers.

Firstly most of the computers that Best buy sells have 3 different prices. A package price ( monitor + tower + printer), Desktop Price (Just the tower), and monitor price (Just the monitor). There is some variance in different type of packages (ie: whether a printer is included or not) but for the most case those are the standard products. And those prices are updated weekly and are readily available in the weekly ad located at stores, online, and the paper.

Secondly when the salesman approached you he/she is trained to ask lifestyle questions about what you want to use your computer for. 75% of people would fall under a category of "internet usage, office work (writing papers, spreadsheets, presentations), and media (music, movies)". This sounds like it would suite you from your remark about email and the media player. This sounds like where the confusion takes place: The salesman is correct about the Microsoft Office package, they don't come on computers by default anymore, you might have thought that he meant that media player and email were part of that package. [Here's the gray area]. The media player comes default on all Microsoft Windows Operating systems, so does a basic email program referred to on xp as outlook express and referred to on vista as windows mail. Your definition of email is different than his. You might access email through an internet browser such as Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox where it is free through your Internet Service Provider.

Lastly for the geeksquad service issue, if the problem was strictly with the CD drive either not playing cd's or not reading / writing discs in general or if it doesn't appear in "My Computer" all the service can be done in store typically under the MFG warranty depending on what the actual issue is. But since the agent wanted to send the computer to the service center I suspect a bigger issue would have been at hand.
    ***Now standard procedure for sending a computer off to the service center dictates that an agent must inform the customer about their data, offer a data backup, and make them aware that Geeksquad does NOT verify data integrity. When he said "they almost always replace the harddrive" he was referring to a new clause within BB's SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) which states that once a harddrive was deemed faulty and the service center replaces it, that service center takes ownership of that faulty harddrive and turns it in for reimbursement with either the manufacturer or a 3rd party insurance company and that in NO way can a harddrive be requested to be sent back to the store in ANY event. So he was just trying to prevent an issue where you decline the data backup, then your harddrive gets replaced, and you lose all your files.

***Bottom Line*** --> Products have manufacturer's warranties for this specific reason. It's a shame that your product stopped working within such a short time and that the agent was rude to you about signing the data backup / integrity form. But Best Buy did everything 'by the book'. I would have suggested talking directly to the DCI of that local precinct's Geeksquad about the agent that was rude.

• Mi
      22nd of Jun, 2009
    Best Buy - Terrible company
    bestbuy.com

I once tried to exchange a dvd that I had purchased that when I opened up the box, nothing was there. Even though I had the receipt proving that I had purchased the dvd there, they initially refused to exchange it because they thought that I had done it myself. I am a middle age woman, not some young kid. I was offended. I asked to speak to a manager and then I was able to exchange the dvd.

27th of Jun, 2009
    Best Buy - Avoid them
    bestbuy.com

My TV stopped working in May. It's still covered by the extended warranty that I bought at BestBuy at the time of the TV purchase. So I called their repair center. They checked my TV and said that they cannot do anything! I am still looking into this but I cannot believe they even said that because this piece of electronics is on their warranty.

• Da
      6th of Jul, 2009

If you tv is still covered under warranty i can't believe that best buy just would not do anything.

I have dealt with customers that have very old tv's that are just not worth fixing. I remember a few customers just trading in their (broken but still under warranty ) tv for a new one.