Best Buy - Burbank, CA / restocking fee is a scam!

1 1501 N Victory PlBurbank, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: (818) 845-5121

I was interested in a portable GPS for my car. I am familiar with GPSs and know that sometimes it takes a while for a GPS to catch its satellite signals. After asking advice to one of the employees he showed me the Garmin NUVI 760. Which was priced at $699.99 He said this is a "quick responsive GPS". I also asked him "if I do not like this GPS can I return it?" he stated "if within 14 days, then yes". I did not like how this GPS performed. I went online and asked advice and people stated that all GPSs take a while to locate a signal. I felt I had been (for the lack of the word) RIPPED OFF. Knowing that if I purchased a GPS that is priced at 299 or even 199 will perform the same the only difference would have been the MP3 player etc. I went to return the GPS and Best Buy wanted to keep a 15% restocking fee. Stating that it says so on the back of the reciept. I told them that the Sales Associate told me I could bring it back if I was dissatisfied. They told me "NO! our employees know better they would not say that" (basically calling me a liar). Now they charged me $105.00 dollars for a restocking fee. Now I feel I have been scammed.

Va

Comments

6th of Dec, 2007

I have also had problems with Best Buy. My husband purchase a laptop with all the extras . The salesperson asked would we like to purchase insurance on the computer. At first we said no, but then changed our mind. We told him we wanted both types of insurance on the computer. One was replacement if anything happened to the computer. Not sure of the other. After having the notebok only less than 3 months it was dropped and the screen shattered. I was upset but then remebered having the insurance I pulled out my receipt and took to the store for repair. Imagine my suprise to discover that I didn't have the replacemnet insurance just an a sore extended warranty. I explained that I did have the insurance and they stated what I had puchased was not this type of insurance. They preceded to imply that I probably didn't ask for it. I stated that I had where they then stated that an employee would not make that kind of mistake. They refund a portion of the monies from the extended warranty but would not do anything else. I call the corporate office who basically called me a liar and would not honor anything. I lost everything and since I needed the computer for business, I had to replace. I didn't return to best buy.

• Je
      20th of Apr, 2008

L. Harris - the restocking fee is clearly shown on a giant wall display and on the back of the receipt the cashier handed you. The employee was correct in what he told you during the sale, you were more than welcome to return it if you didn't like it. On that, if you don't like the Nuvi 760 you probably shouldn't be shopping for a GPS, it's one of the top units out there; do more research before you drop $700 on a product as you clearly had unrealistic expectations.

Marsha Hopper - the warranty brochure that came along with your product and service plan clearly states that the warranty you purchased does NOT cover accidental damage. Take some responsibility on yourself and read what you're buying. And learn to not drop your laptop.

• Ms
      3rd of May, 2009

L. Harris sounds like a Best Buy employee. I have yet to see the "giant wall display" and this whole thing about "the back of the receipts"...the law requires a clear notice to consumers, anything in small print behind a receipt is not clear notice. If there is in fact a "giant wall display" then they do in fact satisfy the law.

Another reason why you sound like a Best Buy employee, "Nuvi ... one of the top units out there, ... do more research before you drop $700." People should be allowed to purchase wherever they want to purchase, salespersons are there to sale but are not supposed to (by law) deceive the consumer. If the GPS takes a while to receive the signal and this is "one of the top units out there" then what can we expect? I don't own a Nuvi, I own something way cheaper since mine only cost $200 and never had problems with the signal. Additionally, it is ridiculous to have to pay 15% restocking fee on $700!! that is not a restocking fee, it does not cost that much to restock the GPS. The 15% fee is a RIP OFF and trust me, I guarantee you, that SOONER RATHER THAN LATER Best Buy is going to have a class action for this. They are charging a ridiculous fee and eventually California Courts are going to deem that charge an illegitimate business practice.

Another reason you are a best buy employee, the comment you made to Marsh was uncalled for, "learn to not drop your laptop." Marsha was not hoping to get incidental damages from her warranty purchase dummy, she thought she had purchased the incidental insurance. LEARN TO READ BEFORE YOU CRITICIZE!