Best Buy / rude employee

1 Bel Air, MD, United States Review updated:

After leaving this store I was extremely disgusted and to this day, four months later, I have not returned. Best buy had a special in their ad advertising that if you purchased certain DVDs you got free tickets to movies (i believe one of the movies was The Hulk). My fiance who decided this would be a great deal purchased several of these movies one evening. Upon arriving at the cash register he asked a cashier where he obtained the movie tickets and was told they were inside these "sneak peak" boxes. My fiance assumed these cashiers had been informed by their higher-ups and knew what they were talking about so he went on his way after spending $50 at this business. After coming home that evening we discovered the tickets were no where to be found we returned the next day to speak to someone in returns about the situation. After every person in customer service/returns had no idea where they were (though the were advertised in the ad) they called the "media manager" (someone who worked in movies/music) to tell us where they were. He came up and immediately and very rudely told us that we were supposed to by certain "specially marked" DVDs (this was stated nowhere in the ad) in order to get the free tickets. This was the DAY AFTER my boyfriend asked several cashiers and floor assocaites about the special. Best buy was misinforming its employees beyond belief. The manager continued to be belligerent to both my boyfriend and I. As someone who also works in retail, mistakes like these do happen but a polite apology would have been in order considering the fact that my fiance repeatedly asked people the evening before if he was purchasing the correct item for the special. Instead this manager was continuously rude and I became disgusted with this treatment as it was not our fault!!! I curtly informed him that we would just go to Circuit City where they had a similar special. Rather than apologizing he continued to be rude to a long-time customer who was wronged by his company and his mismanagement! That day I told my fiance I would never return to Best Buy and I never have! My family and I used to spend thousands of dollars of computers/tvs/music/mp3 players etc there but we have never returned! I was utterly offended by teh way Best Buy treated us. I called the complaint department but NEVER recieved so much as an apology or even a freaking mail coupon.

Va

Comments

Pr
  4th of Jan, 2009

I had a extremely poor experience at the Radford, VA store, I and my freinds had to wait over 1 hr just to get some one to ring us up for a home theater system, when we requested to talk to the store manager Andy, he came all wound up, and after listening tot he whole story asked us to leave as we were creating a scene, upon contacting the customer services department I got a long sympathetic talk and the crux of that talk being how can they help me canceling the online order I had placed with another retailer for the same products after being treated rudely at the store, and how could the customer service Rep. help me make that decision and place a new order with her, no formal apology or any follow up what so ever simply a email saying we will look into it.

The store incident was simply racial profiling and extremely poor in taste, we bought about 6K worth items online withing a few minutes and will never buy a cent worth of merchandise from best buy.

I will also write to Better Business Bureau and would urge others to do the same.