Benjamin Franklin Plumbing, Tampa, Florida / Sales only, no technicians

5808 56 th St. N , Tampa, FL, United States

This is the second time I allowed this company in my home, and it was the second mistake. The first time (same man both times, Field Supervisor (really a 'salesman' only), ) the first time he came because I had no choice; they were the plumbing side of the company we used to install our air conditioner and they had to come and do their part. But the salesman, Dan Chauvette, took it upon himself to come into my kitchen and start running test on my water (from kitchen faucet) and of course proceeded to tell me how dangerous my water is; perhaps it is, however, I do NOT appreciate the approach of being made to feel like I am some selfish person if I don't install their water purifying system, as I am doing such 'damage' to my children. I was very irritated after he left that time.

This time, this week (March 2012) our water heater stopped working. My husband called this company, and very specifically detailed our type of water heater- and that we wanted an actual technician that was familiar with this type water heater. They said sure no problem. They would be there between 2pm and 6pm. My husband even left work at 2 to be here so he could explain the issues with the water heater. Hours pass. Finally, around 5pm, not sure if we called or they called us, someone was coming, but they were an hour away..ok fine. Then my husband called back to verify that this tech coming was again, familiar with unit. they called back 30 minutes later and said oh, well they have a guy familiar with this unit but was on a job and it would be at least another hour.

At 8PM, they FINALLY show up (I couldn't believe it was the same guy). He walked in and looked at it for about, tops, five minutes. Comes back out and said it is fried--oh but hey, I happen to have one on the truck I can install, and then pulls out the stupid 'price guide' and quotes $3200 for a tankless water heater (we didn't have before, we had 50gallon/gas). I asked him (I asked him for the cheapest one they had also, which was just a few hundred cheaper) to explain how much the unit and Installation separate...NOPE; this is our guide. His attitude was condescending, and not the least bit sorry how we wasted half a day waiting, (had to keep children up until he left as well).

Today I had another company. He came out within the hour of call--He looked at unit (for OVER 30 MINUTES), couldn't find the number for manufact, went in his truck and looked it up; explain the control panel was not working, etc. An ACTUAL TECHNICIAN!! He said I will go back to shop and call you back with quote to replace that part, and cost to replace entire unit. $300 for part, $1800 for new unit.

E1