Beneficial / Loan amount

1 Reading, PA, United States Review updated:

Ten years ago, ten years younger and not so wise, I received a check in the mail for $5, 000.00. I never applied or at any time requested information for this. I thought, "oh my, I must be doing very well." What an idiot!!! It is now 10 years later and still owe more than 2, 000 above the loan amount. No matter what I try to pay, which I will admit is never the total amount due, just don't have the funds for the that, I am always called and always charged late fees.

The original loan was just that, a loan. I remember having to go to the office after I regrettably banked the check and the lady talked me into transferring the loan over to a line of credit. WOW, I thought!!! Look, I know I took this loan and I need to repay, that is my responsibility but something has to give. Like most people, I can not afford a garnishment. I am now a single mother of three and am barely able to put food on the table. Is there anything that I can do or someone I can talk to, something.

I know this is no good excuse but was young and had no idea what anything meant on the contract .. idiot, yes I was but is it that they could approve me for a loan, by sending a GOOD check in the mail - me signing that check equaled a signed contract, with out even having my social to see if i qualified.

Please, any information is welcome.

Ma

More Beneficial Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• H2
      24th of Feb, 2009
    Beneficial - multpile calls and hangups
    Arvada
    Colorado

This number has phoned here twice today and hung up when I gave the company greeting. Very annoying and counterproductive as I have put customers on hold to pick up these calls.

• Ts
      17th of Nov, 2010
    Beneficial - unwarranted advances
    Beneficial

Beneficial advanced me- without notifying me- the money for taxes on my property- which were already paid out of pocket by me. and now- after i have received notification from my local tax collector that their advance was returned to them 3 weeks ago- since there was no money due on my taxes in the first place- they still have not updated my account, they are still charging me an extra 300$ for the advance, and they have not returned any of my calls or faxes.

• Jv
      22nd of Mar, 2011

We went through this same scam with them, best advice I can offer you is let them take you to court and stop dealing with this scam company. Judge will award a fair interest rate and you will then be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I can tell you no matter how much you pay on this it will not go down, Like I said just goto court and make sure you show up at court so it can be set up so you can get this taken care of. As long as you continue to deal with benificial or what ever ### lawyer they hire they will try to keep you paying on it.

Just before I went to stand in front of the judge these ### tried to offer me a settlement of 8k or 11k that I could pay on, I told them no way, went before the judge. Judge set it at my remainder of what I owe (which was roughly 2k) and 6% interest compounded monthly, not daily like these jagoffs where trying to get.

9th of May, 2011
    Beneficial - Overcharging
    Beneficial

I owe them $11, 000 and i pay them $248 a month and they put $20.00 on my balance, how long does it take?