[Resolved] Benchmark Capital / They promised us the moon but we ended up with nothing

I live in the Dallas Tx area and have a complaint about a locally based company called Benchmark. We signed up with this company when our daughter was getting ready to start looking at college at a cost of $1600. Supposedly they were going to help us find scholarship resources to help pay college expenses. Of course they promised us the moon but we ended up with nothing. They did an initial screening and were supposed to get us info on scholarships to apply for that matched our daughters profile. They did not even send us the applications, they sent us info on where we could send for applications, she did not even qualify for half of the scholarships. For example you had to be Hispanic (which she is not) or something to that effect. She did send off for a few applications that she felt she might qualify for but lo and behold she never received any applications. And many of them were already past the application date for that year. The main reason we were succored in was because of the left handed scholarship. Our daughter is left handed and the sales rep told us there was a $2,500 scholarship for left handed people that all she had to do was apply for and it was pretty much guaranteed. After we signed up for the service and I started inquiring about how to apply for this particular scholarship I was told that it had been pulled for that year. When I complained that I was told it was available I was told that they could not guarantee what scholarships would be pulled. Since it only been a few weeks I’m sure that they already knew it was not available when they told us about it. My husband and I are usually careful with our money and feel we have been ripped off. I never receivedthe newsletters and annual applications we were promised for the service. When I inquired about this I was told that that was only the 1st year and we would have to call for info after that. It makes me a little concerned that when I do try to call and talk to someone I always get an answering machine and it takes 2 or 3 days for someone to call you back if they even do. I have asked to speak to a supervisor or the owner but get the run around about this too. I was told that if we applied for scholarships and never received any that at the end of 4 years we could request to have our money refunded. Well I can’t apply for something I can’t get the info I need on and I am not so sure these people will be around in 4 years. How can I find out more info on this company and who the people running the show are? We are feeling pretty ripped off and would like to atleast attempt to get some of our money back. That $1600 could help pay off some of those student loans we ended up having to take out instead.

Resolution statement

Benchmark Capital customer care service did everything in their power to resolve this complaint. All attempts to contact the complaint author have failed. Therefore, this complaint has been annulled and must not be considered where company image and it's services are concerned.

Th

Comments

Gt
  3rd of Apr, 2010

I agree totally. We fortunately got the discount rip off. We were told that there were 80 or 90 scholarships available this late in the year and we would surely be eligible for some of them. We got our paperwork and filled it out as we were instructed. We got a useless dump from a very outdated database. Many of the scholarship deadlines had passed for the year. We received 35 scholarships in the package and 5 of them were not even valid anymore, as in, discontinued since 2006, another 5 or so had bad links that we had to look up ourselves. Additionally, we have been trying to get in touch with them for 2 weeks to get information on how to fill out college forms where they said they had so much insight. I have called only to get someone tell be to email the information. Two emails now and two weeks with the deadline approaching. Please do not do business with these people as they will rip you off and you will have less money to pay for your college expenses.

Ju
  29th of Jun, 2011

We purchased this program for our son and paid the additional amount for the two younger children. Now our daughter and our last child out of highschool is also looking for scholarships and we have never seen any scholarships that would have worked for any of our children. I felt somewhat at fault because I did not do the work and hoped that my children would, now I am beginning to wonder if we would have ever found any scholarships with this company. I am trying to call them now in hopes of some last minute help. We found more on our own so far. I keep hoping I will be surprised.

Mr
  23rd of Sep, 2011

I just got a call from these people and asked the person on the phone were there fees; she said, "I don't know". She was more interested in giving me an appointment. She gave me the website, and I decided to check out the reviews. I stumbled across this page, and thanks to the two reviews I'm made up my mind. I think that I'm going to call them back and request our number to be deleted from their system.

An
  19th of Mar, 2014

I have signed up with Benchmark on a family plan as well, and they have helped with my Sr, ( now freshman in college) and are working on my second child who at this point they have helped with enough for her to almost cover all expenses for her 2 yr Jr College (whoo hoo!) and they are not done yet. Its unfortunate that there are these reviews out here as it does take communication and some work on our part to ensure we met the deadlines needed, and the only deadlines we missed were honestly, our fault for failing to comply with our end of what we needed to do. However, I never had any problems reaching anyone and getting call backs from staff. Hope that helps someone because that $2000 we spent was an INVESTMENT that we saw 100%+ return on! Good Luck!