Bella Vista Apartments / Hidden charges/Dishonest leasing agents

1 Arlington, TX, United States Review updated:

I got one for you. After one year at this property, my lease ended. After the leasing office agreed to lock my rent in for another year, I resigned the new lease. Before doing so, I read over the lease, it was almost exactly the same wordage (new concession was made as market rent increased, so that rent stayed the same).

I figured that instead of seeking counsel to ensure my protection before signing the lease, I would go see the company representatives in the leasing office. I spoke with a young African-American lady, who went over the various documents and assured me that the concessions would keep my monthly dues the same as the previous year.

When I received a "notice to vacate the property" five days later, I was flabbergasted. It appears that my water bill was due on the first. I knew this and had only delayed as there was a charge for natural gas on my bill. As I live in an all electric apartment, I was waiting till I had a moment to have the bill adjusted before paying.

Upon speaking with another young lady in the leasing office today, she informed me that I had to pay a share of the gas utility for the entire complex. I protested and was informed that I signed an extra sheet in the lease with this new clause. I explained that the representative earlier should stand by her word, then was told told that no such person ever worked there!!!

I started to feel that hollow feeling in the pit of my stomach, when you know you have been scammed, screwed, or taken advantage of. Seeking counsel now (though no doubt, I'll be bound by the new lease), but thought my experience may keep any apartment dwellers from signing blind...even if the property reps asure them of the content of the new lease!

Comments

• Mj
      7th of Aug, 2009

You know, leasing offices never meet their promises. I was out of town but needed to rent one apartment in Gainsborough Court, Fairfax, VA. The leasing office's website says:
    "Receive an additional, one-time $300 rental credit if you apply for residency within 48 hours of 1st viewing your new apartment home!"
    I called and made sure that even I wasn't going to look at the apt before my move-in, I still got the deal, at the same day, filled out the application form. The next day I paid to reserve the apt. and was told because I called half a month ago and asked for the prices of the apt, I was not qualified for the $300 off no mater I went for a visit or not!!! Everybody called ahead of time to ask first before they rent, right?! Plus I trusted them and tried to save both of our time!
    Then they told me the person I talked to the day I signed up for the application could not make the final decision! The staff who work in the leasing offices are supposed to represent the leasing offices as long they are employed. If there are some misunder standing problems between them, how am I the one, an innocent customer, who has to bare the consequences??!!!
    What the hell was going on with the leasing offices?