Bell Canada / poor service; lying

1 Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

This is unbelievable. I have spoken to several people at Bell who support me, and I have spoken to a couple people who have either transferred me out, or claimed they did not understand. IN the end, I am still nowhere, and offer the short version of my complaint:

Bell talked us into returning as customers on Oct. 21, 2008. This was a great bundle with phone, satellite, and internet. Within a few days of installing the satellite, we knew we were in trouble with Bell. First, they did not have the right channel package. I needed to call and argue, although not vehemently, I still needed to convince them that I was in this bundle with Bell, which consisted of basic satellite, and a theme package. Next the phone. This was just a joke; we could not get the package they offered. I think I called them three times over two days. Finally, there was the internet. Bell promised me 7 Meg downloads; now I know I would never get this. However, when an independent phone technician told me my line would barely handle half a Meg, and no way Bell could deliver, I had had enough of Bell, again.

Within the parameters of the contract, I cancelled within the 10-day honorary period, and by Oct. 28, 2008 had clearly advised by phone that this was enough. I told them Bell had not changed at all, and was still the awful company they had always been. Because I had cancelled within the 10-day period, I was told I would not be charged anything, and that I would need to return the equipment for the satellite, which I did. In total, we didn’t even get 2 - 3 days of this package. They cut my existing cable lines, and only succeeded in making problems. Never again.

Well now, Bell keeps sending me threats that they are going to send my account to a collection agency. Every month since November 2008, I get a bill, or a notice. I follow up and call the number given, and the person at the end of the line tells me I am correct, that they can see the contract was appropriately terminated, and that I do not owe anything. They advise me that the matter has now gone to an investigation, and someone will get back to me within 4 to 6 weeks.

This is Feb. 23, 2009. I am still getting threats from Bell. I get cutoff. They say they will give me the number I need to call, which only returns me to the collection people where I have started.

I don’t owe anything. The contract was terminated within 10 days, and the service was garbage as usual, but Bell will not help. All they do is plead ignorance, and threaten me. Thank God I didn’t buy any shares in this catastrophe. I am on my way to an ombudsman I guess.

Rs

Comments

6th of Oct, 2009

I am having the same problem. They are polite but it is always could I put you on hold. I have logged almost 26 hours in to straiten my account with them. I switched to bell business and cancelled in the grace period. I have lost my internet for one week due to billings have had 3 disconnet notices for money I never owed. I am heading to collections for a 700.00 dollar cancel contract. I have been threatened week after week. I beleive in Canada a free country we are innocent till proven guilty. But we are not, we are complacent and have no way to protect out credit rating or our earned respect for paying what we owe and not paying for services not rendered. I have resorted to explaining to bell that a service not supplied is like buying $40.00 dollars worth of groceries and them asking to keep half cause they have a right. No one pays me for the 26 hours of calls since July. But if I do not persist I will loose my services and also my credit rating. I do not understand what they are thinking. But I get 8 to 10 pcs of mail weekly with out my PO Box which upsets the post office. I am getting my mail two weeks after a disconnect notice that I did not earn in the first place. I too was billed for internet that was high speed when the maximum in my house was less than light. They will only go back 6 months for the mix up. I have requested each month my bundle discount and each time I am told it takes 2 to 3 months. Then I call again. Now I am 18 months into this and they will honour 6 months only. This should be criminal where can you go and bill and get paid for money that is not owed just so people like me a single mom can protect her credit. I should change providers but I am under a couple of contracts and each time I call I think this is the end and why switch to inherit more problems. Maybe we should all join forces with our paper trail and fight for what I beleive is our integral rights in Canada. Frustrated and loyal Bell Client

• Ra
      19th of Apr, 2011

I fully agree with complainant. Same problem I have faced in month of Feb, 2011 when I cancelled the services within ten days of services. It was confirmed on 18th Feb, 2011 on telephone. However to my surprise I received a bill of $361.30.Which I flatly refused to honor and wrote a letter to Bell Canada on 4th April, 2011.
    In response to which I got very funny letter dated 12th April, 2011 refusing to cancel my connection. It seems they are governed by Col Gadhaffi and their words are rule of law .It seems Bell Canada is running its own dictatorial regime where Consumer has no say. I am attaching copy of both the letters.
    As per the agreement of Bell of Canada and law of Canada, In addition to removing of Disc from my premises which is occupying space of my house without my permission since 18th Feb, 2011, Bell Canada should pay rent for 3 months which amounts to $900.00+Legal expenses of $500.00.