Bell Canada / unfair disconnection fees!

1 Ontario, Canada Review updated:

When I changed my Bell dial-up internet services for Bell high-speed internet services approximately 3 years ago. I was not told that I had signed up for a contract with Bell for this service and that this service would be automatically renewed every year on its anniversary date. In addition, I was not told that the disconnection charge would include paying 1/2 of the contract that was left. In my case, I had to pay for an additional 5 months of service that I would not be using as the disconnection charge. These pieces of information seem quite important to consumers so they can make informed decisions on the services and providers they wish to sign up for.

When I called to inquire about this, I was told that I should have read the agreement on their website. The customer service representative I spoke to was very rude and was not willing to help me problem solve this situation.

How can I read the information on their website before I sign up for their services to access the internet? Why as I not informed of this steep disconnection charge? I expect there to be a charge for disconnection, but not 5 months or $500. This tactic seems to be very underhanded and gouging the customers. For such a large corporation, their customer service is below standard and very customer-unfriendly.

"Solutions for small and medium sized businesses" does not seem to extend beyond getting customers to sign up for their services. There is definitely no such thing as customer appreciation.

I warn all individuals and business owners to be careful and ask about all their hidden fees before signing up with Bell Canada for any of their services.

Comments

• Al
      26th of Feb, 2008

I was charged 1/2 of the remainder on my account as well. I am happy to pay the fee and I will never use BELL again. They have lost me as a business customer and they will never get the business of any of my family. Good job BELL!!!!!!!

• Da
      9th of Jun, 2008

Same here, $260 disconnect fee and billing screw ups etc etc, Wrote the radio television commission in Ottawa with a complaint and received no reply, Contacted CBC's marketplace with no reply, Telling everyone I know about this hidden unreasonable disconnect fee.

If I ran my businness as they do I would be in jail.

Bell rep told me "thats what I get for switching to rogers"
    very nice.

Done with them for life.

27th of Feb, 2009

Bell just recently charged us a disconnection fee after we switched to Cogeco. A sales rep from Bell called after that and wanted to know if we would switch back.

GOOD LUCK BELL!

We will never use any Bell Canada services again. Beavers or no beavers!

• Ra
      29th of May, 2010

I signed for a one year contract with Bell Canada Internet service and they made it a 2 yr instead, several calls later they still will not give back the money. Switch providers completly and they will not still give me back the fee, explained to them over and over and they all see the notes of my calls for one year, they even tried to make more offers at a lower rate and attempted to get me agree to another contract, after telling them no and why would I as I am trying to fight this one they are not budging, they decide since I canceled it was admission...They call my husbands work constantly and he got in suspened for 2weeks no pay. Bell still would not compensate as they explain they were not told not to call his work..Funny his number was never on the account only his place of employement and to top that off in the 10 yrs with them they never called. 6 months of them calling him and us calling in to say stop calling and them saying we fixed and they claim they are not at fault and they need proof, even though there are notes on the account, They suck there customeer service sucks and when you do get an agent who tries to help, thier manager says no, even if I am right...

• Ra
      12th of Jul, 2010

'The Loyalty Department' @ Bell (hilarious) said they could save me many $$ when I informed them I was switching to Rogers... Long (phone call) story short- the Supervisor said I would save the $150 cancellation of contract fee (what contract?) if I was loyal to bell- I just shook my head- Bell client for 20+ years... My friend says I should just buy (Bell) Stock!

• De
      2nd of Mar, 2011

I have resently canceeled my bell internet, phone and t.v since I got it IT has never worked right if thats high speed I hate to see slow everything freezes on me and says bad connection.when the guy came to set up T V the remote didnt work right and he laughed and left it and told me to look into it.How profesional.Thn you get a bill for three months ahead now m bill is 265.00 a month are you crazy I am on a pention.this is so unprofesional and taking people for a ride.They dont tell you your signing a contract you think its jus saying ys the guy was here to intall.These people have taken advantage of us and they should pay for it, .Now they say I owe 265.00 for bill and 200.00 to disconnect unbeleaveable why not just cut our throats.

• De
      2nd of Mar, 2011

I have never dealt with anyone so unprofesional as bell.My internet has not worked priper since I got it and if thats fast I hate to see slow.My t.V. remote did not work well since the start and the guy installing it laughed and said I could ind out bout it .What shouldnt everything work right when you get it.I couldnt have what I ordered so I had to have different receiver.ThenI am fed up and my bill has stuff on it for the next 3 monthes unreal my bill is 265.00 I am on a pention my god.Then the ignorant women I was dealing with informs me that I will have a 200.00 disconnection ee for what contract I never knew I had one.Then she says if I dont pay it It will go to collection How dare her I am 55 years old I know this thats like a threat.what has bell become we have had bell since I was a child.I will Never deale with them again.how it has changed from the good people they were.you should be ashamed of taking advanage of families with small incomes

20th of Apr, 2011

I asked Bell to disconnect my cell line after REPEATEDLY asking them to help me lower my monthly costs. Finally when I told them to disconnect the 'agent' (in my opinion agents are people who read computer screens for fixed responses and are not allowed to 'think' or make 'decisions') told me that I can go for an all inclusive package for $25 per month. When I asked him why the previous agents did not inform me of this he said 'She doesn't know'. I gather that this is a 'feature' to keep Bell customers who REALLY want to disconnect. When I still told him to disconnect he said 'We charge you a disconnection fee'. This is the first time in my life (in many countries) that a company charges a disconnection fee from a person who is disconnecting because they are reducing costs. The agent finally told me that he can 'waive' the disconnection fee if I gift my phone to another user. I love my enemies (if I have any) so why would I give, in my opinion, a service I don't like to a friend if I am not willing to give it to an enemy? I will never use or recommend Bell even if they are the last service provider on earth.