The most trusted and popular consumer complaints website
Explore your opportunities! Create an account or Sign In

Bell Atlantic / Improper billing - id theft

1 Bronx, NY, United States Review updated:

12/10/2007 - Today I received two collection notices in the mail from Afini, Inc. account # [protected] and [protected] in the amounts of $ 454.25 and $ 252.05 respectively. The telephone numbers in question were [protected] and [protected].
The rep from Afni also indicated that a third charge of $ 189.87 for account # [protected] for telephone # [protected] was also outstanding. I have not received any advice on this action yet, although this amount and telephone number are identical to an id fraud issue which I thought was resolved in 1999 with Bell Atlantic, Receivables Management division located at 395 Flatbush Avenue Extension, 6th Floor, Brooklyn, N.Y. 11201.
In any event, NONE of these telephone numbers were ever assigned to me personally, and I have never lived in the Bronx, N.Y. I have been a resident of Nassau County for 68 years and at my current address fo 39 years. Please take action to dispose of these fraudulous claims ASAP. I will be contacting the Public Service Commission in Albany , New York to inform that agency that this issue continues to be totally out of order.

Sort by: UpDate | Rating


  • Gr
      17th of Dec, 2007
    0 Votes

    There seems to be a lot of this going around lately. Bills, mistakes in billing, and id theft cases that were resolved around the time of various mergers suddenly going into a collection agency (AFNI) after Verizon sold off these bogus debts to AFNI as out of statute, uncollectable debt.

    The culprits are AFNI and Verizon it seems. Sad, I will have to switch from my Verizon phone service that I have had for about 8 years over a little more than 30 bucks myself.

    I can only tell you what everybody else already knows: dispute the debt if it is not yours or tell them you don't owe any money if you don't owe it, send in a certified letter telling them this and demanding that they validate their claims with proper documentation (billing history, bills, addresses and so on). Also make sure they are licensed to collect in your state, and all that other stuff.

    Next, you need to inform the Attorneys General for your state, Illinois, and the State where the problem is happening, your state's Department of Consumer Affairs, and file a complaint with the Federal Trade Comission.

Post your comment