Belk / do not shop at belk unless you support the reasons they fire associates! do you want to be strong armed into opening a belk charge!

1 2801 W Tyvola RdCharlotte, NC, United States Review updated:

I am proof that you can be fired from belk for not getting enough instant credits. I worked for the company for 13 years and never was written up for anything!! I missed my goal in this wonderful economy by 2 and am now unemployed. I can not believe what a horrible company they are. The other thing is they did a major pay cut and pretty much brought most employees down to minimum wage...
Glad you cut up your card. To those that aren't having trouble now with instant credits unfortunately some of those employees are racially profiling and giving free gifts away knowing the person won't be approved but wants the gift (Cosmetics). People are taking credits applications to the streets to save their jobs!! Sad and shame on belk.

As a customer I hope that you will express your concern to the belk brothers who obviously don't care. Almost every member of management in our store smokes... And they are usually outside every 10 mins or so... That is really productive time for your business. I know they are picking and choosing who they fire and I hope ppl start to think twice about getting together and suing them. If you are fired for this make sure you apply for unemployment until you can find something else you will get it. It won't be much but it is something. Also cobra is not bad right now thanks to obama... The company will have to pay 65% of your coverage!! Please comment on this and any other belk complaint to keep up in the rankings!! Thanks for your time. :-)

Comments

• Re
      8th of Oct, 2008
    Belk - online payment site
    Belk
    131 Porter St
    Narrows
    Virginia
    Phone: 540-726-2796
    Belk.com

I Have been 2hours trying to find the correct site to pay my bill online.which is impossible to find now i will be hit with a late fee for now i will have to drive 45 miles to my nearest belk to make a payment.think we all need to stay with monthy paper statements

• Wa
      4th of Nov, 2008

In planning the new website, the online bill payment option was left out completely. I don't see how this option was overlooked.

• Li
      16th of Nov, 2008

It's there. Just click at the bottom on "Belk Credit Card." It will bring you to the same page it always went to.

• Di
      14th of Jun, 2009

The credit app thing is ridiculous. I work at a store in Ga right now, it is torture to "trick" people into getting credit apps, I guess I am one of the lucky ones to be in the "inner" circle because I usually never make credit goals and I still have a job. They require you get one every 8 hours. That is one every shift for us. So if I do not get one And then they want us to do the job of three people. Other than saturday I am in charge of Mens suits, Men shoes, Childrens Shoes, and Mens dress shirts. That is horrible, considering I have to find someone a shoe while someone else needs to be fitted for a suit. Thank goodness I am still in college and not going to be doing this much longer.

• Dd
      25th of Jun, 2009

I know I had the same problem. Not a very simple website, not friendly at all!

• Vi
      28th of Jun, 2009

I currently work at a belk as well and while i work at a larger store now, i started out at a tiny store where belks was one of the main dept stores. Trying to open a account there was like pulling teeth. At one point my manager told me i could not go to lunch until i had gotten someone to open an account. Ridiculous right?!
    Even now at a larger store with the economy being the way it is, ive seen a drop in people wanting to open accounts etc. Yet the belk corporate suits fail to see this and dont adjust the number required to open.
    I have actually stopped shopping at other stores (ie. Victorias Secret) that hound you to open a charge account. Being asked repeatedly thru out the transaction even after saying no thank you is such a huge turn off.
    Having your job rely on how many credit card accounts you open a week is ridiculous and i want everyone to know what we have to go thru to keep our jobs.

• B
      20th of Sep, 2009

You are absolutely right!! I go through the exact same thing where I work.We have people that take credit card applications home with them and try to con people outside of work to fill out applications. We even had one lady that signed up a person with Alzheimer's for a credit card. When the persons daughter found out she was livid and I dont blame her.I have suspicion that some of the employees are offering extra discounts or merchandise to customers so that they will apply for a charge card. How else does the same 2 or 3 employees always get huge amounts of applications when the rest of us are begging people to apply and still cant get them???
    Our store manager has started making us take back items (for refund) that were not even purchased at a Belk store.We have refunded for items that were a JC Penney brand and even a pair of shoes that were a walmart brand...he says its not our dollar!! It will be when the store closes down because of poor business management and we no longer have jobs!!
    Our store manager also encourages bad customers by giving them gift cards when they curse at the employees and are obviously trying to get something for nothing...even the people that physically hit employees have been rewarded for that behavior with gift cards to make them happy at any cost!
    I dont know about the store where you work but where I work if you get say a $2 raise at your review...well the economy has slowed and your sales dropped and you arent getting your credit applications?? Next review they take that raise and then some away from you!!

• Pe
      1st of Oct, 2009

yes i have tried to go online but couldn't find the site to make payment.

• So
      23rd of Dec, 2009

I have worked for over 40 years now, and I can verify that BELK is the worse out of several jobs I have held. Management undermines employees, pressures them without ceasing over the credit card solititation, "lies" continuoulsy with "threats" over things that are against the law ie: if you do not take an hour lunch/dinner it will be deducted anyway! Never a kind word from management, and the push to collateral duties is riduculous considering the pay. I was, at one time, in management with this company many years ago, and IT WAS NOT LIKE THIS. It seems that with the "greedy kids" being at the helm things have radically changed for the worse for anyone employesd with this company. The stress is astronomical. I know of a group in California that sued their company over "stress". Perhaps it is time to ban together and do the same. What would also stop this nonsense is a UNION. Then management would have to show compassion and "fair play" among the workforce. Remember what is driving all this is GREED, pure and simple with no regard for human welfare of the workforce. HR is a joke withint this company as well...they do not know the defination of the position: HUMAN RESOURCE...
    they have taken the "HUMAN" out of it. The whole thing is just sad, and I think that everytime you have to solicit a "credit app" you should tell the customer "WHY"...tell them your job is at stake...it's the truth, and perhaps they will begin to see what BELK is really all about.

• Ro
      9th of Apr, 2010

Where I work there is an employee that tells the customers if they give "the employee" their drivers license, "the employee" give them a discount.Then opens a credit card for them without the customer's knowlege. People have complained after receiving the cards in the mail but management does nothing and this person gets alot of praise for doing something that is dishonest and possibly illegal. Lies, deception and not to mention messing up someone's credit score. How is that customer service? That's customer abuse.

• Ce
      1st of Jun, 2010

AM HAVING A HELL OF A TIME TRYING TO FIND THE WEBSITE TO PAY MY BILL!!!

29th of Nov, 2013
    Belk - Website
    Belk
    Atlanta

Not sure how a website can be down on the busiest shopping day of the year. A sign that this dinosaur is not capable of keeping up. I had 4 items on my list which I ordered at Macy's and amazon with no issue. If you can't satisfy the online customer, you might want to step aside, Belk.

• Be
      29th of Nov, 2013

How can a site be down on the busiest shopping day of the year? You answered it yourself. It is the busiest day. Things happen. They had a glut of people all rushing to check out at the same time. It happens.

• Ro
      2nd of Feb, 2015

I work at the cosmetics counter for Belk, and the stress nearly has me pulling out my hair. The only thing more stressful than Belk's expectations is *the cosmetics company*'s expectations on top of it. We are in a very low traffic store, but are expected to do the same numbers as the much bigger store in a nearby city. My manager told me to offer free cosmetic samples for people that open credit accounts, and said that if I didn't make that goal I could be fired (even though I'm making all my sales goals).

• Nc
      22nd of Oct, 2017

Tonight at the Belk in Kill Devil Hills, NC my mother and I were at the register waiting for the cashier with her purchases. She asked my elderly mother if she had a Belk credit card. My mother told her that she did, but she wished to make the purchase with the credit card that she was holding.

The clerk continued to ask about her Belk card, and I told her, "She wants to use a different card today." The clerk didn't acknowledge me at all. She convinced my mother to give out her phone number so that she could look up her Belk card. She then turned the pinpad around so that we couldn't see it, teling my mother that her Belk card had been cancelled. Then she said, "Let me try looking it up another way.." and told my mother to key in her SSN twice. I spoke up again, asking if she's trying to sign her up for an additional credit card. She said no.

Finally after a few minutes, the clerk says, "There, I've given you a new card number, and handed her a new card brochure. Then she preceeded to tell my mother that she used her new Belk account for the purchase! I was floored.

Is this how business is run at this location? My mother is 72 years old and not in the best of health. I drove 2 hours just to take her shopping, only to have some "clerk" purposely confuse, lie to, and take advantage of her!

My mother and I had planned to purchase most of our holiday shopping from this location-but I can guarantee that we will NOT being returning again-especially if this cashier is allowed to remain and continue this practice towards the elderly.

The actions of this cashier were unethical to say the absolute least.