Bealls Outlet Stores, Inc. / making women do men's work!

I do not work at Bealls, but I know some people that do.I have heard many, many complaints about the over expectations of the female workers to unload freight from incoming trucks.I'm talking pallets and pallets full of freight, being unloaded by petite woman, without the convenience of pallet jacks, fork lifts, etc., etc.

These woman(GOD BLESS THEIR SOULS)are coming home from work, with sore muscles, pulled muscles, aching backs, etc., etc., etc.Sometimes these women have to take a day or two off, just to recooperate...IS THIS FAIR???

Unloading freight should be a mans job PERIOD!

If you have any concern whatsoever for your female employees, you would NOT have them unloading freight, let the guys do it!Then let the female employees do the stocking of the said freight.This only makes sense from a profit/loss margin, but also from an employer that actually cares about their employees.The bottom line is to make money, but if your making your employees do things that get them hurt(physically/mentally)than your going to lose money...Happy employees make you more money, PERIOD!!!

Tr

Comments

• Re
      20th of Jul, 2009

And then when the men get home their women better have a hot meal and a drink waiting for the men. And another thing, women should only speak when spoken to...

Are you from the 60's????? Get real!

• Bo
      20th of Jul, 2009

Last I heard women DEMANDED to be treated just like men... maybe you all should have thought what that meant.

• Ti
      15th of Feb, 2010

I know some women who work harder physically than men.

This complaint makes no sense. Are you from some bygone age where there were "man" tasks and "woman" tasks? Last I checked, women can do just about anything men can do. Both may function a little differently, but this is certainly not some forced "political" equality.

So, I recommend paying a bit more attention - or, getting to know more women. It's sad and alarming to even see vaguely mysoginist comments like this.

• Ca
      8th of Apr, 2010

AS AN EMPLOYEE OF BEALL'S OUTLET WOMEN HAVE TO DO THE WORK BECAUSE THE PAY IS SO LOW NO SELF RESPECTING MAN WOULD WANT TO DO IT. THEY CAN'T HIRE A MAN FOR SUCH LOW WAGES. THEY ABUSE ALL THEIIR WOMEN WORKERS FOR LOW SLAVE WAGES, AND IN THIS ECONOMY THEY TELL YOU "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT GO SOMEWHERE ELSE" . THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY YOU COULD EVER WORK FOR!!! THEY ARE SO CORRUPT. DO NOT EVER MAKE A COMPLAINT AGAINST THEM BECAUSE ALTHOUGH THE HQ HANDBOOK STATES THAT THEY WILL NOT RETALIATE AGAINST YOU IT IS TOTAL BULLS-IT. THEY DO ALLOW SOME OF THE FAVORITE EMPLOYEES TO HIDE DOTTED ITEMS. ALSO BREAK ANY OTHER RULE STATE IN THE HANDBOOK. DON'T SHOP AT BEALL'S OUTLET STORES. THEY PAY TE LOWEST WAGES AND MAKE THE EMPLOYEES DO THE MOST MEANILESS AND DEGRADING DUTIES. SLAVERY LIVES AT BEALL'S OUTLET!!!

• Ti
      14th of Apr, 2010

As opposed to the ACTUAL slavery taking place in the rural farming areas of FL? Real actual slavery?

Having a [censored] employer does not amount to slavery, unless they do not pay you, and threaten you with physical harm if you don't do work. That's slavery, and yes it exists in the year 2010. Florida is one state where it is found.

While I don't agree with the slavery comparison, I will agree, however, that retail has been on a steady decline during the last 5 years, and is now becoming abhorrent dehumanizing employment in many locations. Employers are exploiting their employees' hard financial situations.

However it is not, and should not be compared to slavery.

Everybody's living standards have gone down. It's a terrible situation that nation is in right now.

• Mo
      13th of Aug, 2010

No one is questioning that times have changed or that roles have changed. The original comment was voicing concern over the well being of employees that are being required to perform tasks better suited to more physically able persons, who would in many cases be men. Personally, I do not have a problem unloading the truck at my local store. What I do have a problem with is being required to do so without any additional help. Their company policy states no one may open the stock door alone, yet if there is no one else scheduled- how do we receive delivery? We can only turn the truck away if it arrives before 7AM or after 6PM. Therefore, I am being required to violate a company policy by having the stock door open and taking delivery. The truck driver is not a Beall's employee, and cannot be considered a "second" person. There are days when I am required to work a 10 hour day, without having another keyholder on premise to allow me to take a meal period. I have to stay on the clock while I scoff down a bite. Fine- I get paid for it - but I am the only person this happens to. I have been told by management that "anyone that calls the DM, or does anything to cause a problem for said management will be sorry". Trying to get things worked out is not gonna happen.
    This company consistently expects 1 person to do the job of 3 for the pay of 1. We are consistently understaffed, and are lit on like a fly on sugar if we do not complete our to-do lists! A big-box store cannot operate efficiently with 1 cashier, 1 part timer, and 1 full timer. Not with the level of business we do. Not with the requirements of the corporate office that include cleaning fitting rooms every 30 minutes, and offering customer service to everyone. It takes 45 minutes to clean fitting rooms and return the merchandise to the racks! By the time you get back to check them again, they are trashed again. Shoplifters have a field day because they know there is not enough staff to watch the whole store. So what does the company do??? They install more cameras and audio to monitor the EMPLOYEES!! The head of loss prevention was in the store holding up the front counter while shoplifters left their empty hangers in the boys dpt. and the handbag paper filling in the dressing rooms!!
    I am happy to have a job, and I enjoy working with the public. What I do not understand is - I was a manager for years, as was my husband. Neither of us would have EVER subjected any of our employees to be treated in this way. Times are tough, jobs are very scarce where I live. So I go to work every day. Before anyone gets their negative juices flowing, I am never late, I do not call out, and I am NOT a slacker... I have lost 50 pounds since I went to work here. I am down to 135... BECAUSE I WORK like a dog!! I am thankful for that. Others violate policies left and right with no consequence... I sent my husband to purchase bathroom tissue because the store would not order any and was almost fired for it!! "The manager had not given their consent for the purchase". WTH! We had been out of toilet paper for 2 days! Am I the only idiot that thought doing the right thing for our customers and employees would be ok? And besides.. you can never reach the manager after they leave the store. How was I to get "approval"? You can bet I am looking for another job. I have tons of mgmt. exp, and college. But I am in my 50's... it is NOT easy to find work.
    On a final note, do not criticize this person for feeling the way they do. While the literal comparison to slavery may be wrong, the perception is the same. Abuse, poor wages, overwork and fear of retaliation..what do you call it?

• Ex
      1st of Jun, 2012

Bealls is the worst store to ever work for the dm and regional havent a clue. They want the idots who know no better to work for them if you say how you feel god forbid you get terminated. loss prevention is a joke he shows up oncea month if your lucky to watch employees

20th of Jun, 2012

"If you have no receipt and go and return an item they are going to give it to you for what the price is now."

Yeah- that would have been great if they had done that. The item I tried to return wasn't on sale at all. The hideous things were still $22. They give you the price of what it will be at the lowest marked-down price they could possibly have *in the future*. As in every clearance mark-down they ever plan to do to an item.