Bbv Hotbooksale Comover / repeat billing

1 312 missile base rd., Judsonia, AR, United States Review updated:

I ordered a book from Barnes and Noble thru HotBooksale.com on or around 12/19/2009 with a debit card for 4.59 plus free shipping. The first charge was deducted from my checking on Dec.19, 2009 for the amount of 4.59 then onDec.22, 2009 there was another charge of 9.95 and then on Jan.12, 2010 there was another charge of 9.95 taken from my checking account. All charges have the same code (BBV HOTBOOKSALE COM 888 646 FL) I want the two charges of 9.95 each put back in my checking account and I do not want any more withdrawals taken from my account .

Comments

• Si
      12th of Feb, 2010

The exact same thing happenned to me. I am so angry. How do they get away with this?

• Ea
      17th of Mar, 2010

Same thing for me... What do I need to do?

• Ea
      17th of Mar, 2010

I called 888-646-1662 and found that I had somehow and unknowingly signed up for a HOTBOOK benefit plan for $9.95 a month allowing me to purchase books at a discount
    I canceled and suggest you do the same. That is $120.00 per year. I do not trust this company and their below board dealings and advise all to avoid them . Tell your friends.

7th of Apr, 2010

To all you people out there who had been scammed, take the advice of Earl1234. Call the 888 number and talk to the rep. You have to tell them to cancel the so called membership or they will be charging you $9.95 every month, until they bleed your account dry eventually. Just like you, I got scammed and needless to say, I was burning with rage so I called. They terminate my membership and has agreed to reverse the last 2 charges they made on my account. Please act immediately and spread the word around. Spare no mercy when you speak to them. The rep are innocent but I made her realize that she is working for a fraudulent company.

• Kr
      9th of Apr, 2010

Just happened to me... Ordered the books through Amazon and was linked to "HOTBOOKS" at Xmas... 9.95 x 4... OUCH...

This is BULL%$&T... I even have my order form and it does not say anything about a membership and fees... Just bills me for the 3 books I purchased... nothing more.. then apparently they have been billing me every month for ten bucks...

Make sure you cancel the membership.. get the cancelation ID # AND the confirmation email with the info on it stating it was cancelled THEN make a complaint...

HORRIBLE!!!

• Ra
      2nd of Jul, 2010

Same thing happened to me, called 800#, they said they'd cancel and refund me, so we shall see. This really pisses me off!

14th of Sep, 2010

I also started to receive a billing of 9.95. I contacted this Company "HOT BOOKS" whom acted as if they couldn't believe I was unaware of the subscription purchase. I called 888-646-1662 as suggested and requested (be sure to ask for a refund) a confirmation email stating that the subscription was cancelled and also that the funds be credited back to my account (with another email confirmation regarding the refund). I'm going to go back to Amazon.com and report this.

• Fr
      16th of Sep, 2010

This just happened to me and I called the 888 # and spoke with a customer service rep and they cancelled the "membership" and issued me a refund (which I will watch closely for!) What a scam! There is no way they should be allowed to do this but for anyone experiencing the same problems, I suggest taking Earl1234's advice and talk to the rep. Be sure to get a confirmation #!

• Ka
      14th of Oct, 2010

OMG.. this so just happened to me BUT I have been paying since December 09..
    this was a card my husbands that he just paid the bill and didnt notice.. Well I did today and wow.. I have not paid $99.95 for a $4.57 book! I did take your advice and call the company and got cancelation and supposely a 2 month credit.. They HAVE to know what they are doing they are too willing to give credits right away. We willsee. Now for the Good news.. I called Amazon big time.. Really complained on how trusted them and get sacked with this hidden charges.. They are opening a claim (A-Z its called) to help me get a refund of all my money. They are at least trying to help. Again we shall see...

2nd of Nov, 2010

Same thing happened to me--only for 3 months before I noticed it, erroneously thinking it was one of the magazines I had ordered. Intend to contact Amazon about this ripoff, as well as talk to a live person at Hotbooks.
    manda

• Ga
      16th of Nov, 2010

yep, i had noticed the first one and figured it was from a half com or ebay book purchase, then I noticed another month also charged 9.95 and now the last 2 months, (i just got online and went down through my bank account statement, they have gone up to 19.95 a month !) its been going on since May.
    I will call them and demand a refund and also report them to BBB, half.com and ebay ~ sorry to see others being used in this way, but glad to get this information. thanks and peace ~

• Bh
      12th of Jan, 2011

I JUST NOTICED THIS $ 9.94 ON MY E-BAY MASTERCHARGE FOR THE LAST 3 MONTHS. I LEFT MY WIFE GET SOME BOOKS ON E-BAY AND SOME HOW IT ENDED UP WITH THIS BBV HOTBOOKSALE THING. IF E-BAY IS GOING TO USE THIS COMPANY TO SALE THEIR ITEMS, THEN I WILL TAKE MY BUSINESS ELSEWHERE . I DID NOT SIGN UP FOR ANY CLUB OR EXTENDED CHARGES FROM THIS COMPANY. I WILL BE CALLING THIS COMPANY, TELLING THEM TO TAKE THE THREE MONTH CHARGES OFF AND NOT TO CHARGE ANY MORE AGAINST MY ACCOUNT. I THINK, I SHOULD TURN THIS COMPANY INTO BBB AND ATORNEY GENERALS OFFICE IN FLORIDA . HOW ARE THEY GETTING AWAY WITH THIS . WELL, MAYBE THE BBB OR ATTORNEY GENERALS OFFICE CAN FIND THE ANSWER !!!

• Ga
      15th of Jan, 2011

I too have been charged by this company beginning in December 2009. I am attempting to resolve this with my credit card company. I too called the company's toll free number & "canceled" some sort of "membership" by entering the last 4 digits of my credit card & my zip code. To date, they have ripped me off to the tune of $150.96.

• Ro
      18th of Jan, 2011

Same scam just happened to me!

• Ng
      25th of Jan, 2011

Sme here - 3 months of $9.95 charge for somekind of membership.
    since the charges started in October, when I was beginning to order Xmas presents, I didn't think about the $9.95 charges.However, today looking at my credit card bill I realized I did not have a receipt for the charge. I bought 2 DVDs through Amazon. in October 2010 and have been charged the $9.95 since then. My credit card company is assisting me in getting the charges prior to December credited. The company gives you "2 months credit" but you have to go through a major complaint process to get the other months back.

• Ir
      9th of Feb, 2011

Unbelievable, the same thing happened to me. My charges went as far back as 7 months after I purchased a $12 book. They gave me a refund for 2 months, but i'm going to look into filing a major complaint against this company.

• Br
      7th of Mar, 2011

Same deal for me. Who do we contact for law enforcement to stop this practice? What state does Hotbooks operate out of? I think it's Florida. Does anyone know? Could we contact the attorney general in Florida? How about the FBI? What jurisdiction does this fall under?

• Cg
      12th of Sep, 2011

Happened to me to. I called them, they agreed to credit me 2 payments of 9.95 because their policy states they can only refund 2 months worth. Then when I called back after researching my account found out they took 5 payments out, I asked to talk to a supervisor, didn't get much further with her, then I mentioned a lawyer she said they would credit 3 months. What happened to their 2 month policy? Then I wanted an address to give to my lawyer, all they gave me was a PO Box, I imagine they have a big waste basket close by to empty the box. I called Amazon, who were eager to help, to inform them about this company's practices, I also called my credit card company and they are doing chargebacks. So that's the way to go call your credit card company and get them to do chargebacks!!! Somehow they need to be stopped.

• Br
      13th of Sep, 2011

I contacted the attorney general's office in Florida and all of my money was refunded.

• Ve
      11th of Dec, 2011

I just noticed that my credit statement has been debited for $1.00 two days after my 'book' (turned out to be a CD) order, and $19.95 nine days after the 'book' order. I called my credit card company, Chase, and was on hold for 20 minutes (I should cancel my credit card with Chase!), then decided to hang up and called HotBooksale.com. They said I had already cancelled my membership, so they would refund my $19.95 through my credit card, but not the $1.00. Well, I really not willing to throw away good money to scammers. May be I should take it up with my credit card company.

Their fine prints are misleading and difficult to read - the book was specified as CD, and the trial period and the $1.00 charge wasn't legible . Won't do business with them again. We should boycott such businesses!

• Ol
      13th of Aug, 2012

I also was charged 3 times.one for $1.00, another for $1.42 then $9.95 .So I called and they told me the same thing they told everyone one else, I was sooo mad I canceled and NEVER WANT TO DEAL WITH A COMPANY LIKE THIS!!! Bottom line we all got ripped off and I hope someone or something is done...

• Ju
      26th of Feb, 2013

I ordered a book on 7/2/12. The cost was $5.24. The book arrived, and I did not think any more about it. But recently while I was checking annual summary of my credit card, I saw the recurring monthly charge of $9.95 from BBV*HOTBOOKSALE.COM 888-6461662FL.
    I chatted online about it and they said when I bought a book I agreed to the membership which was embedded in the terms and conditions agreement. They said the confirmation of membership was sent via email. I was not aware of such confirmation. I cancelled the membership and they said I will be no longer charged this $9.95. I asked the cancellation confirmation to my email account. It went to "SPAM" box. Most likely initial membership confirmation also went to "SPAM" box. In total, I paid $76 for no any benefit.

• Na
      18th of May, 2014

Oh YES, March 13, 2013 I purchased a book -- 3/14 a $1.00, 3/20 a $19.95, May 12 a $9.95, 5/19 a $19.95, 6/11 a $9.95 & etc. -- then every month thereafter - repeatedly - the same 2 charges . It wasn't till I pulled up my AMEX yearly bill looking for another particular bill that I noticed the charges - month after month... I purchase books from B&N, Amazon & etc. & somehow these charges alluded me Until May 14, 2014. I've called my AMEX fraud department & I'm praying, literally, that they can help -- Honestly, I do recommend AMEX - they are usually there for you. But do I feel stupid -- I'm known to be a detailed person -- & somehow I've been missing this one for over a year. :-( I read all the complaints -- & wonder how they can get away with this. I'm a senior, & truly
    that fact, alone, bothers me to think I let it happen for so long. :-( :-(