BBV Discount Book Sale / unauthorized transaction

1 CA, United States Review updated:

In January I placed an order on a website labled Discount Books. Today my account was charged $9.95 to this company with no books ordered, no services rendered, and NO AUTHORIZATION! Here is the order info copied from my order history on this site:
Order History
Print This Order

Order No.: 321022 Date: 1/2/2010 Shipping Address:
shawna shaw

Status: Paid Shipping Date: 1/4/2010
Track Your Delivery»

Items Quantity Price
Jonah and the Big Fish/Jonas y El Gran Pez (Shipped)
$5.00 savings applied 1 $0.25

Shipping Cost: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
Total Price: $0.25
Already Shipped Items

Comments

• Ls
      13th of Mar, 2010

I did not authorize a monthly transaction fee of $9.95 and when I called to find out the charge they would not reimburse me. So now a $3.00 book has cost me $24.00! Great deal they offer, don't you think? Apparently in the long terms and agreement section they state there is a monthly membership.

• Mi
      28th of Mar, 2010

The same thing happend to me what is the phone number to stop it?

• Mi
      28th of Mar, 2010

The same thing happend to me what is there phone number to stop it?

1st of Apr, 2010

I want a phone number please. This is stealing. I've made no monthly purchases and I do not plan to let them get away with this.

• Lj
      7th of Apr, 2010

I TRACKED THIS DISCOUNT BOOK SALES((SHOWS UP AS BBV*DISCOUNTBOOKSALE(Other) ON YOUR CREDIT CARD BILLING. CALL THIS NUMBER WHICH IS IN THE PHILIAPINES, 866-707-5858. THEY WILL SAY THAT YOU ORDERED A BOOK ON A PARTICULAR DATE AND AT THAT TIME YOU RECEIVED A $5.00 DISCOUNT, WHICH SETS IN MOTIONS A MEMBERSHIP OF $9.95 PER MONTH. THE PERSON ON THE PHONE COULD NOT REALLY EXPAIN TO ME HOW THE MEMBERSHIP WORKED. I WAS NOT INTERESTED HOW THE MEMBERSHIP WORKED, IT WAS FRAUD. I TOLD THEM IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS THAT THIS WAS A SCAM PLAIN SIMPLE AND THAT I DID NOT AGREE TO ANYTHING MEMBERSHIP OR ANYTHING BUT TO PURCHASE A BOOK FROM THEM, PERIOD...AND SORRY I DID THAT. AT FIRST THEY WANTED TO GIVE ME CREDIT FOR ONE MONTH. DO NOT SETTLE FOR IT CONTINUE TO RAISE A FUSS AND TELL THEM THAT YOU WILL HAVE THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY CANCEL THE CHARGES BY FILLING A COMPLAINT, THEN I TOLD THEM I WOULD FILE A COMPLAIN WITH FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION, ETC. THE LADY I SPOKE TO FINALLY ROLL BACK THE CHARGE MONTH BY MONTH UNTIL I WAS TOLD I WOULD GET A CREDIT FOR $19.90(2 MONTHS @$9.95) WHICH IS WHEN I FIGURED IT OUT AFTER THE 2ND $9.95. I GOT A CANCELLATION NUMBER FROM HER AND I AM EXPECTING AN EMAIL TO VERIFY OUR CONVERSATION ALONG WITH THE CREDIT AMOUNT. I WAS TOLD IT WOULD TAKE A BILLING CYCLE OR TWO TO GET THE CREDIT.(AS I AM TYPING THIS THAT SEEMS TOO LONG, I THINK I WILL CALL THEM BACK, BECAUSE THEY CAN CREDIT YOUR CREDIT CARD ACCOUNT WITHIN A FEW DAYS. I AM WAITING AND WATCHING. HOPE YOU GUYS DO WELL IN DEALING WITH THESE "SNAKES". HOPE THIS HELPS. AFTER I GET MY CREDIT I AM THINKING ABOUT CANCELLING MY CREDIT CARD NUMBER AND GETTING ANOTHER ONE. I ONLY USE ONE CREDIT CARD TO BUY ONLINE FROM UNKNOWNS AND IT HAS A SMALL LIMIT ON IT JUST IN CASE OF SOMETHING LIKE THIS. UNLESS IT IS AMAZON OR SOME OTHER WELL ESTABLISHED RETAILER THEN I MAY USE A CARD WITH A LARGER LIMIT. BUT I HAVE LEARN A LESSON HERE I AM STICKING TO AMAZON FOR BOOKS OR LOCAL BOOK STORES. HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE WHO GETS CAUGHT UP IN THIS MESS!!! REGARDS, LJP

• Tm
      27th of May, 2010

I was charged for a trail membership costing $9.95 a month, which I never signed up for.

• Le
      7th of Jul, 2010

A monthly fee is being charged to my account with out me remembering giving authorization to.

• Le
      8th of Jul, 2010

MY NAME IS LEROY STALLWORTH, AND I AM BEING CHARGE #19.90 AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHY. BUT I WANT IT CANCELLED...

• Wa
      15th of Jul, 2010

I just ordered a book and did not check the part where they charge more money for extra stuff they want to send you! I took out all my info and went looking for the book I want elsewhere.Lo and behold without me being able to submit my information I got an email where they are charging me this extra money anyways! BUYER BEWARE!~

• De
      12th of Sep, 2010

Having worked for a company that offered the Google work-at-home offers, I have learned to read all Terms and Conditions BEFORE clicking that I agree to them. I saw nothing to indicate any monthly or on-going charges. I will be calling these ppl as well for a credit!

• Vi
      30th of Sep, 2010

I have not authorized monthly membership fees of $9.95 to be charged to my credit card.

• Kn
      14th of Oct, 2010

In July I ordered a book from Bbv discount books and have since been charged 9.95 each month. If I had looked closer at my bank statement I would have noticed this charge. Well this month I did and I was furious because I also was not told about this monthly charge. Be very careful when buying on line. My bank statement had a phone # and I called and my "account" has been cancelled and I expect a full refund. The phone # is 866-707-5858. Hope this info helps somebody. Eileen

16th of Nov, 2010

Thanks LJP for the phone number. I called and got the same routine but finally got some satisfaction. I have gotten the confirmation e-mails that cancel "membership" and that @19.90 will be refunded to my charge card. The use of the word fraud and the promise to file complaints seems to have some effect. Please note that the comformation emails use the full name of Best Brand Values instead of just BBV- something else to look out for.

• Bi
      3rd of Dec, 2010

I NOTICE THAT i AM BEING CHARGED A MONTHLY FEE OF $9.95.

IDID NOT AUTHORIZE SUCH A FEE AND DEMAND THAT YOU REIMBURSE ME FOR ALL CHARGES TAKEN IMMEDIATELY

• Gr
      9th of Dec, 2010

I just got hit with this, too. I don't remember agreeing to anything that even SOUNDED like a service or club. And I sure as heck didn't authorize them to charge more than the cost of the book to my account! Isn't there anything we (consumers) can do about this!

• Bu
      5th of Jan, 2011

just got hit with this, too. I don't remember agreeing to anything that even SOUNDED like a service or club. And I sure as heck didn't authorize them to charge more than the cost of the book to my account! Isn't there anything we (consumers) can do about this! its not right !!!

• Bu
      5th of Jan, 2011

• Sl
      22nd of Feb, 2011

I only wish I would have checked here before I made a purchase at BBV. The really funny thing is the book I purchased was “Winners Never Cheat” The joke was on me. PLEASE PLEASE BEWARE! These people are CHEATERS and anyone should RUN from them.RLB

• De
      6th of Mar, 2011

Same thing happened to me, please no one sign up for this as it is a rip off. I read what I signed and did not see their hidden charges. I did call them, and will be refunded, but I do not like someone charging my credit card without my authorization. So in the future, don't sign up for anything that says they are giving you a discount, etc.

• Si
      14th of Mar, 2011

This happened us us too! My husband had a very cordial conversation with the representative of this company, who wanted to continue to tell him the benefits of membership. He told my husband that at check-out it was quite clear that a membership was included. My husband told him he was very careful when ordering and that 'membership' was not at all obvious and that it was bordering on fraud. My husband then said he thought the Federal Trade Commission would be quite interested in this company. That must have cinched it as we will be reimbursed due to the help you all have given us. Thank you! And yes, the books that my husband ordered were devotional books! Isn't it appalling that this company sells Christian and children's books and cheats people?!