BB&T / unfair fees

BroadLaGrange, GA, United States Review updated:
2.5

I was also charged overdraft fees on money that should have been credited to my account. I have been with this bank for 10years. Have never had a problem until this past week. I have always deposited my payroll check on Sat. morning and it was credited on Mon. night. This past week I did the same t hing. I checked my balance on Thurs. morning and had a $-411 in my account. I went straight to the bank to see what the problem was. The girl at the bank told us that they had changed their policy on check deposits and they had notified all their customers. I never received any notice. They charged me $350 in overdraft charges the first day, $105 the second day, $140 the third. By that time my direct deposit showed up on my online statement. I also deposited some cash to cover any outstanding debits. I called the phone 24 after leaving the bank and had a $78.00 balance. That should have been sufficient to cover anything that was still out. The next morning I checked my balance again and it was $43.00 with another overdraft fee of $35.00. How can they charge you a overdraft fee if there is a positive balance in your account? I have had it with this bank. They stole $700 of my hard earned money. I wouldn't encourage anyone to use this bank. I have warned everyone of my friends that use this bank.
Ta

Comments

Ta
  31st of Mar, 2008
Ke
  8th of Jul, 2008
After getting charged over $800 in overdraft fees for items that had "posted" to my account due to created accounting practices, I chose to close my account. My employers bank paid BB&T on a Friday night at midnight. At 9am on Monday, I went to the branch to withdraw all of my money and close my account. I was told the money would not be available until 2pm that day.

I'd rather work with money orders. In the long run it is cheaper, and no large corporation will be able to use my money as if it belongs to them.
Da
  22nd of Aug, 2008
THIS IA PLOY TO GET MORE FEES, THAT REQUIRE NO WORK, THEY
WILL CLAIM YOU SIGNED THE FINE PRINT AND IF YOU HAVE 3 OR 4 OF THESE CHARGES THEY WILL ONLY GIVE BACK ONE BACK, THIS IS
HOW THEY ARE MAKING MONEY IN THIS ENVIRONMENT.

I WAS SHOWN A MEMO FROM A REGIONAL PRESIDENT STATING THE ABOVE
Me
  15th of Oct, 2008
I myself got even with BB&T. I purchased a home from them that they couldn't sell because of the current housing climate and I was able to get the home for less than half it's appraised value (real appraised value). I then put it up for sale. I had to sit on it for 16 months but was finally able to sell if for tens of thousands more than I paid. So BB&T can be your friend if you know how to use them. I'd advise anyone who uses any bank to make sure their account is accessible on-line (computer) so you can actually check the current balance at any given time and before you write checks. That way you are covered. The account balance they display on their web site will always be the actual amount available to you. I'd say another good practice is to keep a good checkbook journal and to go to it right now and deduct several hundred dollars without making either a payment or withdrawal so you're always several hundred dollars ahead. If you cannot afford this, you probably shouldn't have a bank account to begin with. These institutions are not in business so you can kite checks when you're short of money. Discipline is the key to success in money. Every comment I've read involved those who were very sloppy with the chore of handling their money.
An
  17th of Oct, 2008
CAN WE SUE THEM...THEY CHARGED ME 380.00 FOR 70.00 WORTH OF TRANSACTIONS..THEN THEY POST DEBITS BEFORE CREDITS...CONTACT ME IF WE CAN FILE A CIVIL LAWSUIT AGAINST THEM AT AMOMTIMESTWO@AOL.COM
Fr
  18th of Oct, 2008
We TOTALLLYYYY agree with all the above. We too have been jipped of alot of money from BB&T. I have banked with BB&T for over 10 years and we started noticing a problem about a year and a half ago. At first we thought it was an oversight on our part and the second time we started getting concerned and wondering what they were doing. It was hard to know how much money you actually had in the bank, even in keeping good records. Their totals were always different from our own. Well, recently we thought we would try something just to see what they were up to. We decided to leave a small amount of money in the account and not use the account for a period of one week. Nothing deposited, nothing withdrawn. We used cash on all of our purchases. To our surprise, with nothing going in or coming out of the account, we were suddenly overdrawn 681 dollars. So tell me somethings not fishy!!! My husband went to the bank on several occassions to speak with a manager and never was able to speak with one. Just the other day he spoke with one of the employees on the 800 teller line and she didn't know how to answer any of his questions and referred him to one of the branch managers. She was not very helpful and didn't seem to want to help answer any questions until he mentioned contacting the attorney generals office, then she seemed concerned and started asking him questions and wanting to try and help him. He told her, sorry I don't know how to answer your questions then hung up with her. Since then, he has contacted the attorney generals office and told the gentleman he spoke with of these websites and we need more people to call and complain. That man told him he was going to go home that night and look at the sites. Oh, before I get off of here, we switched banks and haven't had a lick of trouble, our balance is true and direct deposits are available just as we were told when we opened the account. We went shopping today and it showed on our account by the time we got home. How AWSOME is that!!! A bank that doesn't rip you off and doesn't lie to you.
My
  30th of Oct, 2008
Let me know if we can sue them too b/c I just got into it with a BBT associate about it! It seems that we can cash our check and then turn around to deposit it so it will reflect on the same day deposit but if we deposit a check it will be the next day before it gets credited! How stupid is that??????? They charged me over $1000 in overdraft fees already because of this stupid thing. Let me know anything!!!
El
  1st of Apr, 2009
I have had the same experience. I've written complaint letters, spoken to many employees in person, and the best answer I've gotten is "If you don't work in a bank, it can be difficult to understand"...
I decided to close the account and open one at the local credit union. I highly recommend this tactic, since the bank currently spends more money lobbying to limit credit unions than they do on customer service!

Branch Banking & Trust Company / BB&T Logo Branch Banking & Trust Company / BB&T
Overall Satisfaction Rating