BB&T / checking account/deposit policy

Asheville, NC, US Review updated:

The folks at BB&T have always been pleasant and respectful toward me. I feel lucky in that regard, because there are a lot of complaints here about their customer service. But I still have a gripe, and it's a big one!

To put it simply, I don't understand this bank's ridiculous policy on crediting deposits. Every other bank I've done business with has credited me for deposits immediately (or at least within an hour or so). After making two ATM deposits that took almost 24 hours to clear, I decided the best remedy was to deposit my checks inside the bank. I figured that if a teller entered the checks manually, there shouldn't be a problem. Well, it makes absolutely no difference at BB&T! Checks take 24 hours regardless of where they're from. I work for a large restaurant chain, and the company that owns them is well established both here and across the country. But for reasons known only to BB&T, every one of my paychecks has to "clear" before I get credit for it.

There is no way it takes them that long to confirm my paychecks. Every other bank in town accepts payroll checks and confirms them quickly. It makes me wonder if BB&T is running on pre-Cyber Age technology, because the last time I had to wait THIS long for a paycheck to clear was back in the 80s!

Do not deal with this place if you are accustomed to having money on hand every pay day. I guarantee you'll get it long after your co-workers have cashed their checks and spent them.

Ch
Dec 06, 2016

Comments

Jan 12, 2017

We have been working overseas and our pay has been deposited into a foreign account, therefore our business account went into a dormant status without notifying us. Since we assumed we still had access to our money, this December we transferred 13K from our other BBT account to this supposed dormant account and wrote a check from it for the IRS as not to get penalties for underpayment. We found out that the check to the IRS was denied. We have looked at the BBT Commercial bank agreement and it does not cover this. My Question is if the definition of a dormant account is one without a transaction, the transfer was indeed an allowed transaction. I was told that it was a withdrawal that was needed by the branch, but deposits were accepted. Furthermore in talking with the bank employees "complaint department" and branch both said that we would have to go in to branch to change this and get our account restored and the check to the IRS resent. We are overseas and unable to do so and now we are without the funds in our other account to pay the IRS. I think this is illegal any thoughts or lawyers out there that would provide us information?