BB&T / overdraft fees and posting times

US Review updated:

I have been with BB&T for almost 10 years now and I will be closing my account by the end of the week. I typically get paid every other Thursday seeing that my depost hits the pending transaction on Wednesday and then posts on Thursday morning. But over the last 3 pay periods, I've noticed that my direct depost hits the pending transaction on Thursday and then posts now on Friday. Is this illegal? On just this last go-around, they slammed me with overdraft fees because of the way they lined up my debts and credits in conjunction with moving the pending transaction and posting forward by 24 hours. When I went to the bank to reconcile, the teller first said that I didn't need to see anyone in charge and that she could answer my questions as to why this time-table has been moved forward by 24 hours. Her reply back was that it's on my organization's side and not BB&T. After further investigation, my organization has nothing to do this. This lady lied through her teeth to me. Thanks Kennesaw, GA branch - you just lost another customer.

Comments

• Dl
      Aug 14, 2009

Is everyone that does not use direct deposit still get their checks on the same day or is it a day later?

• Di
      Aug 24, 2009

Absolutely, it is infuriating... the way they re-arrange things is absolutely fraudulent. I had one $8 charge that overdrafted my account by $7 or so. OK, so $35 overdraft charge, big deal, right?

Wrong! They took my last 12 purchases and rearranged them so that the $8 overdraft encompasses 4 charges instead of 1. Now I'm -$180- freaking dollars in the hole in NSF and account balance fees. Now I'm gonna have to drop a week of pay to get my account out of the red.

Look at how my statement reads:

08/10/2009 POS SHELL SERVICE STATION 0606 CHKCD PURCH-PIN $1.32
    08/10/2009 POS WAFFLE HOUSE 00000 KENNESAW GA 0606 CHKCD PURCH $8.43
    08/10/2009 POS STEAK-N-SHAKE#0618 WOODSTOCK GA 0606 CHKCD PURCH $18.60
    08/10/2009 POS TRICKUM FOOD MAR 0606 CHKCD PURCH-PIN $21.95

WTF?

I think I'm going back to cash and money orders...many orders of magnitude cheaper...

• Dc
      Oct 14, 2009

I am repeatedly charged overdraft fees by BB&T and have complained directly to my branch. Their response, the system cannot credit deposits in the same process and a debit. This means they are quick to debit your account but very very slow in making credits to your account. End result - if you make a deposit and a debit on the same day, the debit will be charged to your account but for some reason BB&T cannot apply the credit. This results in an overdraft fee. Profits for BB&T.
    BB&T needs to explain this.
    I'm reporting this to the Banking Commission.