Bay Area Credit Service / Debt Owe

1 PO Box 467600Atlanta, GA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1 877 230-9773

I received a telephone call in September 2008 from this company named Bay Area Credit Service stated that I owed $125.00 from a past due telephone from January 2008. I asked why were they just now contacting me now, how come they didn't contact me sooner. The caller informed me that they sent a statement to this effect some months ago. I don't recall a bill from them and would they send me another one. I informed the caller that I didn't owe them and they said it was from AT&T. They separated a past due amount, but kept my phone on because I paid the current bill. I am under the impression that I paid the whole bill. And if I did owe how come my phone is still on. (still on to this date). The caller said that they would not send another bill out, because they only send one bill to the person owing and that's it.
I told the caller that I needed something telling me that I owe this money and identifying their company. It could be a fake company trying to get some money out of me. The caller said that they were not sending me another statement. This company called again around March or April 2009. We went thru the same circle and I still have nothing in writing backing up what this company is stating.
Around August 2009 another person (a guy with a forien accent) called and the same thing happened again. The guy would try and out talk me. Said that they were not sending another bill to me again. They sent one last year and that was all that I was getting. I tried to explain that I didn't remember getting it. Too bad was what I was told. He said that I could look up the information on the internet about his company and that that was good enough. I feel that this company should send me information stated that AT&T wanted them to collect some money that I owe them. I called AT&T about this and was told that they separated a past due amount that I owe and kept the phone on. No one told me this until about 9 to 10 months later. I asked could I pay them and they said that they (the phone company) didn't know who had the account. I explained to the Bay Area Credit Service that I wanted to settle this by paying them, but I wanted them to send me something stating the information needed to let me know about this debt owe. That's all I want before I pay them anything. There is too much trickery going on the phone and internet, and I am just protecting myself. I want this debt settled, but I also want to know who I am paying and who they are representing. And they refuse to do this, but they want me to pay them what THEY said I owed.

Comments

• Ar
      25th of Aug, 2009

Pay the bill. You owe it. You first said you told the agency you didn't owe it and then you said you wanted to settle the bill. Your full of crap playing cat and mice games. ATT and the agency are right, your wrong. Nothing in your complaint is ligit.

• So
      5th of Sep, 2009

MOLE ALERT

Area Sick:

Are you trying to be taken seriously? Are you working for BACS or AT&T?

Why is she full of it? Why is it so difficult to understand that she wants an itemized account of what she owes and why she owes it? If this collection agency were truly legitimate, they would offer full written disclosure instantly. The crux of the matter is: why won't they honor her request and provide documentation in writing? This agency very well may have mailed her a bill in the past, but unless it was sent by certified mail, there is no way they can prove they mailed it or that she ever received it. With modern technology, it's not difficult to generate a copy of previous correspondence (if it, in fact, even exists) and then forward it. Why won't they comply?

Very few people are willing to pay blindly for unknowns, nor are they willing to put up with aggressive and unreasonable scare tactics. It is not unreasonable for her to question what's going on and try to get to the bottom of things (it's called due diligence); plus it is noble that she is willing to pay what she might actually owe, if indeed anything. She is very wise to question this situation and to not succumb to bullying and railroading. She has questions, and she would like answers. Have some respect.

Have you read any of the other posts on this board to learn that this post is certainly not unique in its complaints? Have you, yourself, never experienced a frustrating situation like this?

I find it heartbreaking that there are people who are naively crumbling under the weight of such heavy-handed predatory practices. I applaud efforts to put an end to this greed.

By the way, if you'd like to post a "legit" (not "ligit") post that has a chance of being taken seriously in the future, I encourage you to read the board's advisory listed above and "Please check text spelling before submitting a comment." Try the grammar check while "you're" at it. It's "you're, " not "your, " in your post's context.

Also, not every situation is as crystal clear as you seem to think it is. I suspect from your (see?) vitriolic and narrow-minded statement that you're (see how I did that correctly?) an employee of BACS or AT&T and a mole on this board. Unless you have something constructive to offer, instead of sweeping generalizations, keep your (again, see how it's done?) comments to yourself.