Bath Fitter / They tried to force me to sign a contract

I recently has someone from Bathfitter come out to give me an estimate on my bathroom. They stayed at my house for 3 and a half hours and would not leave. They kept pressuring me to sign a contract that night, explaining that if I did not, I would not receive the discounted price they were giving me, it would be more. I didn't even like the discounted price, let alone the price if I didn't sign that same night.

Also, they told me I would be sorry if I did not sign and then decided later to use them for my bathroom remodel. Even when I told them that I felt pressured and that they were the first person I spoke to, they still pressured on. I told them I would like to get other offers and their whole demeanour changed.

Va

Comments

• Ve
      2nd of Sep, 2009

My husband and I just went through the same ordeal. Only our sales rep made it sound like he was in a huge hurry, and that the longer we took to decide, the longer it would take him to get home to his wife...whom had called twice. According to him, he had been working for the company for years and years. So his wife wouldn't be used to him being out till 10:00 at night???...because that's how late he was here. My husband asked him specific questions...and while searching the contract over trying to find the answer to it...the sales rep would take the contract and find the answer and read it right off the contract...but didn't read us all of it. For example, If we happened to miss making a payment what would the interest % go up to?...he read off "1 and 1/2 %, but I'm not sure what the percentage rate would go up to". Now that's not exactly a lie, but what he didn't tell us was that the contract stated that it would go up to the "highest legal limit" allowed. That could be 30% +!!! I guess WHY my husband was asking this question was just in case he lost his job...we'd lose 2/3rd's of our income...it just happened to my husband's brother. Also the sales rep did not inform us that if we defaulted on any other financial obligation, even though staying current with our payments to Bath fitters, our interest rates could very well be raised. This is #9 & 10 on the back of the Retail Installment Contract. While you're at it, read #'s 12 & 13 too. These are also things he did not go over with us..nor did he give us the time to read it ourselves. The Bath fitter Agreement contract states near bottom of the contract (just above where you sign) "There are no promises, terms, conditions, or obligations other than those contained in this Agreement: and this agreement supersedes all previous communications, representations, or agreements, either verbal or written, between parties, that no other agreement or representation, verbal or written, shall be binding on the Contractor." Talk about a CYA!!! IN OTHER WORDS, THEY CAN LIE TO US AND WE CAN'T DO A THING ABOUT IT. WE ARE SUPPOSED TO TRUST THESE PEOPLE TO BE HONEST WITH US... WHEN WE HAVE IT IN WRITING THAT THEY CAN SAY ANYTHING TO GET US TO SIGN THE CONTRACT, BUT ONCE WE SIGN IT...WE CANNOT HOLD THEM TO A WORD OF IT. My advice to everyone out there...tell them that you would like to read ALL of the contract (front & back), and if they tell you that they've already explained everything to you that is on the contract...no they haven't. Ask him to leave it with you (which he won't)...so you can read it over, it's your right. If he refuses to leave it (which he will), then, either, don't sign it, or he'll wait for you to read it...if he wants the sale bad enough. We were told that if we did not sign the contract that evening then we would not be able to receive the discount at a later date...and we believed him! We shouldn't be rushed or pushed or bullied into signing anything that we haven't read and UNDERSTOOD in full. Do not allow them to point out the important parts to you..."all the rest is just standard contract stuff"...because ALL of it is important...and they, after all, are salesmen...they will tell you what they WANT you to know...not what you NEED to know. He also explained to us that there are no bad marks with the better business bureau about the company, but we didn't know, at that time, about this web sight. There's also the consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/bath_fitters web sight that was brought to our attention. I was just informed that this contract is a credit card application...because it is an unsecured loan, they get the amount approved by state law as being a credit card loan. We were not told this! My husband and I don't deal with credit cards...we stay as far away from them as possible due to their very well known high interest penalties and late fees and over the limit fees...etc. So all of this financing works like a credit card would. WOW!!! Nowhere on the application did it specify in writing that this is a credit card appl. Well I've learned my "something new" today. Hopefully we can get out of this without much damage. Wish us luck.

OHIO

• Dl
      29th of Apr, 2010

IF YOU DIDN'T WANT TO SIGN...DON'T. POLITELY ASK THEM TO LEAVE AND IF THEY DON'T INFORM THEM YOU WILL CALL THE POLICE TO REMOVE THEM. IT'S YOUR HOUSE, YOU MUST HAVE BEEN GIVING THEM HALF-HEARTED ANSWERS MAKING THEM THINK YOU WERE INTERESTED. IF PEOPLE WOULD JUST STATE THEIR TRUE INTENTIONS INSTEAD OF SAYING THEY'LL THINK ABOUT IT NONE OF IT WOULD HAPPEN. BE A MAN AND TELL THEM YOU AREN'T INTERESTED! DUH!

• Br
      28th of Mar, 2011

This just happened to me as well! This same day discount is a SCAM. I even had a special coupon that offered me the same special the salesperson was peddling. I asked if I could use my coupon and the same day discount and he said NO. One or the other. I then said what is the difference between the same day discount and the coupon... he was silent. There was no answer to be found other than it is a sales tactic.

I was going to have Bath Fitter remodel my bathroom... they have done a bathroom for a co-worker of mine... But she told me they tried this same high-pressure tactic on her. I will not be manipulated. I was going to have the same general work done as my co-worker... our bathrooms are virtually identical as we live down the street from each other and the homes were built at the same time and have the same layout... Guess what? My price was $600 more!!!

All they have done is raise their prices by the SAME amount they are offering to discount ... SHAME ON YOU BATH FITTER.

Pass this along to your friends everyone! Let everyone know about this classless sales tactic .

28th of Aug, 2015

Thank you, For saving me I just saw the adv. on tv and was going to see about getting an estimate, now I`m not I WILL NEVER use this company. I don`t want to have to pay some one for shoddy, half done work.
    I AM VERY GLAD TO HAVE RAN ACROSS THIS INFORMATION! THANK YOU FOR SAVING ME!