bassettbaby timber creek 4-1 crib heirloom / babys legs get jammed between bars thought my granddaughter broke her leg last night

1 roseville, United States Review updated:

MY GRANDDAUGHTER LEGS HAVE GOTTEN STUCK BETWEEN THE BARS TWICE LAST NIGHT IT WAS SO JAMMED I THOUGHT SHE BROKE HER LEG SHE CRIED FOR AT LEAST TWO HOURS AND IM AM BABYSITTING FOR HER HOW WOULD I EXPLAIN THIS TO HER MOTHER THE BARS ARENT CLOSE ENOUGH TOGETHER SO THEY CAN PUT THERE LEGS RIGHT THROUGH I AM SO UPSET IM AFRAID TO PUT HER IN THAT CRIB

Comments

12th of Aug, 2008

I am glad I came accross your add. Don't put up with Bassetts probable excuses. CALL THE CPSC "NOW". Google their website. PLEASE this crib may have to be recalled also.

Here is my story:

October 09, 2007 CPSC, CONSUMER PRODUCTS SAFETY COMISSION, came and took my crib for an investigation into this poorly made crib. It is a Wendy Bellissimo Convertable Crib, Made by Basett in China. This happened September 20, 2007. My wife and I awoke to my baby, 13 months old at 24 lbs, screaming because her hand was being hit from the front rail. It's obvious the hole was drilled to close to the edge. There are stress cracks on 3 top corners of the crib were the bolts enters. This whole crib could have fell apart. If it wasn't for our video monitor and us noticing something was wrong, , , , she might not be with us today. My initial report to Bassett Furniture, Thursday 20SEP07, the customer service number on the instructions, would go unanswered because the Vice President Mr. Lex Bendall was on vacation. I complained over and over that this was unacceptable and received absolutely no response. I was informed that no one could help us for 5 days. I later received a call from Paula Kreuger from Bassett basically saying the same thing. Still nothing could be done. When I finally spoke with Basset Vice President Mr. Lex Bendall, Monday 24SEP07, he believed this was an isolated problem. I insisted they could not know that. He also stated he would not or did not have to report this to anyone 3 xs. I even invited anyone to come to my home to investigate the crib…. He declined. I then sent him a webpage stating Cosco was fined 1.75 Million for not reporting an defect issue and called him back then said, “Now what are you going to do…”. He then said they would consider it. The next day he said they reported it themselves to the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) (so they say) after my pressuring. I notified the CPSC myself to see if they did and I was told to fill out a FOIA. This was also to get information of any other complaints on this crib. So far, , , , I haven’t received anything. Tuesday, 09OCT07, after many of many phone calls and emails to the CPSC they finally sent an investigator to my house. They took my baby’s crib, wife in tears and all. This was more a sentimental issue now. Our baby started in this and it was to convert to a larger bed as she grew older. Wednesday, 24OCT07, Toys R Us Corporate informed me that this crib was taken out of their Babies R Us Stores. They did not tell me to keep it from anyone. Thursday, 25OCT07, CPSC informed me that very positive steps have been taken. They could not tell me of a recall due to red tape, I guess, but basically told me, we would be informed before it was broadcasted nationwide or even worldwide. This, I believe is because the media will be interested in how the CPSC was informed of this hazardous crib. The most unbelievable part of this whole story is that when the ‘Bellissimo Family’ (whose name is on the collection) finally noticed an upset message from me on their website, 16OCT07, 26 days after my first report, (These people have their name posted on the crib) Mr. Joe Bellissimo called me to express his concern. He had absolutely no idea this was going on and neither did the President of Toys R Us who owns Babies R Us. I don’t understand how Bassett Furniture could deprive the public and everyone connected to this of such important information. There are babies lives at risk here. This has situation lasted 48 days before the recall was released. I have been on this one man crusade to do something about it. I when I have been able to, I have entered internet forums, contacted media, and even my congressman to get the word out. I believe so far I have had thousands of people view my forums. I had started a MySpace page with some details and pictures..that address is myspace.com/wendybellisimobasett I have not been able to sleep throughout a night since this has happened. I wake up in the middle of the night taking notes of questions to ask different people. I am worried something may happen to some unsuspecting family and that I have not done enough. When the recall was released I felt my heart drop. Seeing that there were 85 prior complaints of loosening hardware was a disgusting shock. Why did Mr. Bendall not report this problem sooner? He knew children’s lives have been in danger and did absolutely nothing. I would bet he told the other 85 parents that their cases were isolated too. I have been enlisted in the United States Coast Guard for 17 years now. When there has been a fault in any of our equipment the entire Coast Guard is notified by the next day. The public puts their trust, faith and lives in these products. For Bassett to take nearly 2 months to notify them that their children’s lives are in danger is unacceptable. I feel that I was forced into taking the role of protecting families using this set. That responsibility should not have to lie in a consumer’s hand.Bassett believes this is an isolated incident...How can that be...