Barr Real Estate - Champaign, IL / Extremely shady and incompetent company

Barr Real Estate
www.barr-re.com

I just wanted any college student who is renting at the U of I in Champaign, IL to know NOT to rent from Barr Real Estate. They are an extremely shady and incompetent company. Problems are always unresolved and the tenant usually ends up paying for the price. The manager there is completely worthless and unhelpful and questions are never answered.

While apartments on campus tend to be on the crappier side, there definitely ARE good landlords to rent from. Usually the smaller, family owned ones are MUCH better with their properties and also with their tenants.

I'm purely posting this because I do not wish anyone else to have to go through the problems that I've had to deal with.

Va

Comments

• Af
      13th of Sep, 2007

I rented from Barr from 2000-2002 and this is absolutely true. They are too large and manage too many properties, and dealing with them can be very frustrating. I had my heat break in the cold Champaign-Urbana winter more than once, and my apartment was so poorly maintained that nothing had been updated in years. Check with the Tenant Union and you'll see the complaints.

• Va
      7th of Oct, 2007

This is all true and I now see that I was not the only one to go through this. They charged me for cleaning and took it out of my deposit. My mother came down before I moved out and cleaned my apartment completely. They blantantly lied on teh report and gave me a significant amount less than what I should have gotten. They did no walk through when I moved in or when I moved out. They are a terrible company to deal with.

11th of Jan, 2008

I completely agree with the above poster. The apartment I rented in 2005-2006 had a hole in the kitchen floor, windows that didn't lock, and a shower that didn't drain with none of the above ever fixed despite numerous complaints and meetings with the maintenance director. The only thing I liked was the very good sunlight.

• Tr
      5th of Aug, 2008

BARR stands for "BRAZENLY ABYSMAL REALTOR RELATIONS" because that is their goal in life: " How can I spend every day of my life to screw over clients (most of which are innocent, hardworking students) and rip them off at the same time. I had to live in a basement unit made available to BARR because I was registered late for UIUC. At first I thought this unit was okay and why should it not? I'm shelling out $600.00 a month on this piece and guess what happened this year? The entire basement got flooded not once bit TWICE!!! Dangerously septic CRAP water was spewing out from the shower gutters like the Buckingham Fountain and no one came to our rescue for hours and hours. Compensation for this calamity? $70.00 off my rent. I want to cry out to the Lord to strike this evil company with the seven plagues but for the time being, I'll do my best to secure a lawsuit. PLEASE DO NOT USE BARR! THEY ARE REAL CRIMINALS WITH REAL AGENDAS TO DESTROY YOUR LIFE! And always remember this crucial lesson: BARR stands for "BRAZENLY ABYSMAL REALTOR RELATIONS" As a fact I know that 502 East Healey is a health risk. As a student of health and interior architecture, I give you my professional and personal advise not to live in this building.