Barnes & Nobleinept customer “service”

My advice is succinct: if you must use this company, be sceptical when you receive the "your shipment is ready to leave our warehouse" email. Check the ups website routinely and make sure that ups actually has received the package.

The idea that their online customer "service" may reply to messages "within 24 to 48 hours" is really a significant problem in this day and age.

I have been a happy (And generally loyal) customer of this firm for many years, but am really annoyed (And a little amazed) by their ineptitude, and am sorry to say that I won't be buying from them, either online or in their stores, ever again.

Comments

• Me
      Jul 12, 2008

I hold issue with the Barnes and Noble store credit. I rarely shop in stores because the prices online are so much cheaper. On one such occasion, I was shopping online and ready to check out. I punched in the store credit card number (I had no idea at the time that they did not accept store credit online), and it was not accepted! I was forced to pay with credit card and then had to personally go to a Barnes and Noble store, the closest one being 14 miles away, and spend the remaining $40 of my store credit. Forget Barnes and Noble, I am going to Borders from now on. At least their membership is free.

• Gk
      Sep 12, 2009
    Barnes & Noble - terrible customer service
    Barnes & Noble

I ordered textbooks from b&n on 9/2. I got an email receipt which I have to confess I didn't look at closely because I figured my books were happily on their way (3-7 days!). When I finally looked, I noticed the ship date was 9-23 with no explanation. I called on 9/8 and found out the entire order was held up because one item was on back order. I cancelled that item and was assured i'd have my other books in 3 days which would have been friday. Well, turns out my other items didn't ship until friday and will arrive too late for my assignment. Changing an order apparently takes 24 to 48 hours to process. How can that be??? I will end up purchasing all my books at full price, will have to return the b&n books and will be out all the shipping costs.

Textbooks are time sensitive. Why wasn't I notified that one of my items was backordered? Why weren't my other items immediately shipped separately? I would have long since received them. Amazon provides these services all the time.

Mar 21, 2010

Try contacting Terri Pucin, Vice President of Customer Experience for B&N.. try contacting her through the switchboard main number [protected]. i think the email is [protected]@bn.com or some format of firstname lastname @bn.com Good luck! although I recall her being the biggest ### in the world and she is supposed to lead the entire company's customer experience but she is absolutely a horrible wench which tells a lot for the company if the person at the top is completely rude.. I think they should fire her and hire someone that understands being nice to the customer and more competent.. hopefully they will see this! Pass the word and stop big corporations like B&N from stealing from customers and not being accountable!

Mar 21, 2010

• Su
      May 19, 2010

Their service is below average, but their store is terrible beyond belief. They feel as long as they can answer customer questions, they don't have to even seem genuine. They have people harassing the customers that take advantage of the study and wifi areas. Their corporate will feed you pre-written lines, without really answering any complaint.

• Cw
      Sep 01, 2010
    Barnes & Noble - refund
    Texas

I purchased a demy for my wife's birthday at the end of may. When she opened it on her birthday in the middle of june she did not like it. We contacted barnes & noble about returning it and did as they stated. It was signed for on 7/2/10. They have told us that they have given us the $216 credit on several different dates. But the credit card company said that credit has not been received. We have tried contacting them and they won't reply. We have filed a complaint via our credit card company. I would not recommend anyone doing business with barnes and noble on line or on the phone to place an order.

I have copies of emails stating that merchandise was received back and that credit was issued. But as of 9/1/10 it has not been credited.

• Va
      Oct 20, 2010

If you hadn't waited till the LAST MINUTE to order your books, maybe this could have been prevented. I have always had wonderful service from Barnes & Noble and never blame them for mistakes which occur on behalf of the customer not the company.

•   Dec 10, 2010
    Barnes & Noble - awful customer service
    ow.ly

I ordered a number of items from Barnes & Noble online on Nov. 29th. Now I am being told that only one of the items will be delivered before Dec. 25th because one of the items was back-ordered. At no time was I given an option of having some of the items delivered earlier and was only told about this delayed delivery when I called up to inquire. They then refused to deliver the items that were ready any earlier unless I paid an extra shipping fee. Customer service at its worst. When I sent a complaint to their email, I got a canned response back three days later apologizing for any inconvenience. Now I will have no presents for my children for Xmas, and no guarantee that they'll even arrive before 2017. I'm livid. Amazon.com would never treat a customer this way and I will never order from Barnes & Noble ever again. I wrote a column about my awful experience at the Lynbrook Patch at http://ow.ly/3nb8w

• Po
      Dec 10, 2010

You should be able to cancel your order if nothing has been shipped.

• Da
      Jan 12, 2011
    Barnes & Noble - poor support
    Barnes & Noble

I have purchased the NookColor from Barnes & Noble. The NookColor is an e-reader, i.e. a device for reading ebook. It came with an USB cable for charging and also file transfer with desktop PC. At the beginning, everything works normally. But few weeks after the purchase, I found I couldn't perform file transfer with the USB cable, i.e. my PC didn't recognize the device at all. Fortunately, I have another cable and tried the file transfer. It worked. Therefore, I knew that cable was defective. I then contact BN via email. They then replied that I had to contact them via phone. I called them but their hotline was extermely busy and I had to wait in the IVRS loop for more than 20 minutes before answered by their support. I talked to him about my problem. He checked with my detail and finally confirmed that I should get the replacement. But at that moment, I told him I would like to confirm him the delivery address and then finished the call. Later on, I decided the delivery address and I sent email to BN to ask for the replacement. But they only sent me the "robotic" reply to ask me to contact them by phone. I was frustrated that their email support channel is actually useless. I have explained that the IDD had already costed me more than that of the USB cable. But they still keep on sending that "robotic" reply...

Jan 19, 2011
    Barnes & Noble - order shipment
    Barnes & Noble (B&N.com)
    Surprise
    Arizona

I ordered a book online @ b&n. The payment was processed however I am still unable to download my book. I have sent emails and called (Each phone call you hold for approximately one hour and then are transferred to someone who sounds like they are in thailand). I was told the first time I could download my book within hours of course there is no record of this call. They refused to credit back my money and refused to give me a gift card for a new book. I asked for a supervisor and was put on hold for over minutes and no supervisor ever answered so I hung up. My e-reader was a christmas present and I am considering returning, buying a kindle and trying amazon. Maybe their customer service is much better it can not be any worse. Horrible customer service I was actually told that many people are complaining about not getting their books and that is why the hold time is so long. Still no resolution. We asked the rep what would you do if you paid for a product and the company refused to ship it?? It is unbelievable. I also shop at the local barnes & noble but after this customer service I am switching to another store for my book purchases.

• Wb
      Feb 18, 2011

"Harassing the customers who take ADVANTAGE of the study and wifi areas." Asking someone who sits in the cafe to please purchase something from the cafe you are sitting in is not harassment.

• Bb
      Aug 25, 2011
    Barnes & Noble - called order which all ready charge
    New Jersey
    barnesandnoble.com

B&n doesn't have a customer service at all, their customer service is terrible. They have accepted orders for touchpad and hold the money in credit card, after a day they cancelled the order saying there is no stock, how can they accept order without stock, it is completely a scam.. I would have bought elsewhere if they showed as no-stock and dont accept orders.

I called customer service, no answer. I mailed them for the reason for cancellation, no reply till now. I don't buy anything from here and never recommend this site for anything.

• Su
      Feb 05, 2012
    Barnes & Noble - return purchased gift
    Schaumburg
    Illinois

I bought a magic card trick gift for a grandchild's january birthday in december during the christmas sales. I was not able to give the gift and went to return it on 2/5/12. Barnes & noble would not return the gift because they said the time period had expired to return the gift, i. E. 1/31/12; nor would they give me a store credit which I would have gladly accepted. They indicated the terms for returns was on the back of my receipt. Does that mean I had to first buy the gift to see what their "returns" procedure was? It's not like the gift is out of date. The same product will be for sale next christmas.

I will never buy anything from barnes & noble again.

• Th
      Feb 06, 2012

Why did you wait over a month to return it? Most retail stores have return policy posted or here is a novel idea, you could have asked what the return policy is before making a purchase.

• De
      Feb 21, 2012
    Barnes & Noble - delay of refund by months
    Columbia
    Maryland

I was given two gift cards in december and used both to order a built neoprene 15 inch mac book pro bag. They delivered a 13 inch bag. I then sent back the 13" bag and was told a 15" would be delivered to me in a week or two. Two weeks later I got an email that they could not fulfill the order. No refund was issued on my gift cards. Meanwhile I had destroyed the cards because I had placed the order - big mistake. I've just made my third attempt at getting either an e-gift card or mailed gift card. They always say it will come in 7-10 days and never arrives. Meanwhile, i've cancelled my barnes & noble membership. If I do ever receive the refund, I will quickly use it and then never order from b&n again. Terrible service - amazon is so much better and helpful.

• Va
      Apr 10, 2012

Not only are the return policies clearly stated on the back of the receipt, but also at EVERY register. And I agree with the previous comment... You can always ask what the return policy is before making the purchase.

• Sy
      Nov 25, 2012
    Barnes & Noble - online ordering is horrible

My experience today relates to ordering online - you can run into situations where you've placed an order, cancelled the items in your order, but then have the orders "authorized" to ship to you despite your cancellation request. After I contacted customer support, I was told that the order had gotten automatically authorized and that clicking on the cancel links were was just a sham and that the system had overrode it. My only recourse left is, after receiving the shipment, to go into a store in my area and return it. I was told that not even a supervisor would be able to change the order status so there is some arbitrary point (Which you, as the customer, would never know) where you cannot cancel the order.

Please be advised about this aspect of ordering online from barnes & noble: what their system decides overrides your attempts to modify or cancel online without clear indication of what actually happened. If you happen to wander into b&n's online store, ask yourself the following:

1. Amazon has cheaper book prices overall - am I here because I just want to contribute more money to b&n's coffers?
    2. If I order something and want to change it, chances are that I will need to hoof it to a brick and mortar store to do any returns. Am I here because I don't, in truth, like the convenience of ordering online and need an excuse to take time to return something in the store?

• Ia
      Jun 28, 2014
    Barnes & Noble - items not shipped
    Bowmanville
    Ontario
    Canada

I ordered a packaged set of three books (Published by microsoft) from barnes & noble.
    Only one book of three arrived - after 28 days. Nothing was back ordered.
    My credit card was overcharged.
    B&n "customer service" is not interested in solving the problem, intervening, or issuing a credit within a reasonable time.
    No further response from b&n or the reseller after multiple emails and phone calls. I have reported the charge to vi?Sa as fraudulent.
    Stay away from b&n.In my opinion they are a rip-off.