Barnes & Noble / return/exchange policy

Bought a gift for my husband, was not told of gift receipt policy or very restrictive return policy. Was not allowed to even exchange the gift a few weeks later. Absolutley nothing they could do. Will never shop there again or accept gifts from there from others.

Comments

• Se
      19th of Jun, 2010

According to the website, you just have to have the receipt, or the gift receipt. That seems reasonable to me.

• Ki
      19th of Jun, 2010

Exactly what Seraphim said. Also, if it was a book, you can't expect them to let you buy a book and turn around a few days later to return it. You and your husband could have very well read the book then tried to get your money back. It's not the library, it's a retail establishment.

• Br
      19th of Jun, 2010

I worked at a few stores that have the same policy regarding copyrighted material. There were people who'd buy books cheaper at a different place, remove the sticker and then try to return the book to the store that sells it for more. I've also worked in copy centers where customers will try to copy material and then return it to the bookstore. I've had so many customers curse me out because I wasn't allowed to copy books or photographs that have copyrights on them. It wouldn't such a big deal to me if it weren't against the law. I've even had customers tell me they don't remember where they even bought the book but still demand that I give them their money back.

It sucks for customers who are decent members of society to have to not be able to make a simple return just because there are dishonest people in the world.

• Ti
      12th of Jul, 2011

The receipt clearly states this policy. Not B&N''s responsibility to read it to you.

• Be
      9th of Jun, 2012

I purchased a children's book as a gift. I purchased it 3 weeks before the party.
    The book was a duplicate gift. I offered to take it in to return it and to pick another.
    The clerk told me that the return window had passed. Amanager passed by
    looked at my receipt and confirmed the policy.
    The book was in perfect condition, four days past the 14 day window, cost me all of
    $6.75.
    But for $6.75 they lost not only me but also everyone in my household as customers.
    I understand the need for policies. But if they can't trust shift managers to be able to make
    decisions. They invest a bit more time and money in their training programs.
    I hope they do end up in BK!

• Br
      9th of Jun, 2012

The shift manager did make a decision. They decided to uphold their policy. Donate it to your local public library or school.