Barnes and Noble / scam text book rental practices

1 Green Bay, WI, United States Review updated:

Be very aware of college text book rentals from b&n. I guess there are hidden options for the length of the rental, with the default being only about 75% of a normal college semester. So then all of a sudden you get an email saying you did not return the rental in time and get charged 60-75% more of the original rental for only 15 days, and then still it does not cover the rest of a normal college semester. And if they don't have the book back in their warehouse by the 15th extended day, then they will charge you a full buyout price. So for example, an american lit book rental of $19 for, turns out, only 3 months, then they charge another $11 for $15 days, which requires you to send it back a week before the end of the semester or you'll have to pay $50 for their buyout price. What a scam. We will never buy another text book from b&n. And, we are cancelling our annual membership... We can buy any book from them cheaper elsewhere online. No wonder they are going under.

Sc
Apr 30, 2015

Comments

• Bl
      1st of Nov, 2010
    Barnes And Noble - its been a year and no book
    barnes and noble
    Dayton
    Texas
    barnesandnoble.com

i ordered my manga book back in february. when it didn't show up in 10 days i sent and e-mail and was told it was on back order and would arrive mid-august.

it's halloween! i have sent numerous messages only to be ignored. i don't even want the stupid book anymore i just want my money.

it doesn't take a year to ship one lousy book.

• Dj
      25th of Dec, 2010
    Barnes And Noble - Insufficient website capacity
    Barnes and Noble

It is hard to believe that on Christmas Day the website is overloaded and it is not possible to register a new Nook. One would think this volume of traffic might have been anticipated.

• Po
      26th of Dec, 2010

There are probably less employees available and more consumers than usual. It happens.

27th of Dec, 2010

Blueeyedbaby210, if you have any confirmation of the purchase - be it store receipt, confirmation email, online transaction statement from B&N's website, tracking information, etc. which is proof of this purchase it might be helpful in providing any of this to the Better Business Bureau in your area. Look up the BBB's office in your area and contact them or have a parent or guardian assist you in this if you are under 18 years of age. It's probably possible to contact the BBB either via their website, by email, by postal mail, or by phone regarding this to see if they can help you resolve the matter.

28th of Dec, 2010

Ah ha! So I'm not the only one who had this trouble! I too was attempting to use the B&N website - to make purchases with some B&N gift cards - and kept getting "server too busy" or some such similar message. Way to go, B&N, no wonder your company is in financial hardship.

30th of Dec, 2010

Looks like Barnes & Noble has some of its employees giving the Thumbs Down to comments supporting the complaints on this board as well as having them post critical comments to those who post complaints.

3rd of Jan, 2011
    Barnes And Noble - Scam
    Barnes and Noble

DO NOT give anyone a Barnes and Noble gift card for electronic books (Nook) if they do not have credit cards. No matter HOW much money they have on the card, Barnes and Noble will NOT allow them to download Nook books unless they post a default credit card. This is totally UNFAIR to the many people who do not have credit cards. Spend your money somewhere else!

• Sh
      9th of Jan, 2011

I have been a B&N customer for years. I do most of my buying online. However, I ordered an e-gift card online 3 days ago which was supposed to be sent to me via e-mail as a last minute gift...NOT!!! I clicked on the wrong card and tried to call customer service to change it...NOT!!! I was on hold almost an hour the first time and when I finally reached a person I was told that my order wasn't in the system yet so they couldn't do anything until I received the card via e-mail. So I waited until the following day and nothing so I called again...on hold for over an hour with no response. I waited and called again later...same thing. I finally reached someone yesterday and was told that they were experiencing an internet delay and it would be coming in a few hours. Well, it's another day and nothing and when I just called all I got was the same ### about higher than average customer calls so I would have to hold for the next available person.
    I guess it's time to go back to Amazon.

19th of Feb, 2011
    Barnes And Noble - Unfilled web order
    Washington

I am still waiting for Barnes and Noble to ship two items from their 2010 Fall DVD sale. Numerous emails have been sent requesting an update on the order, but no response. I have tried calling several times and each time after nearly an hour long wait, the phone call is disconnected.
    Save your time and hassle and order your books and DVDs from anywhere else but here!

• Da
    Barnes And Noble - Defective Product
    Massachusetts

We bought a NOOK at Best Buy in January (barely 5 months ago!), and the screen just died - Best Buy says to talk to Barnes and Noble and today Barnes and Noble customer service said to talk to Best Buy! They won't do anything for us because we bought it at Best Buy - way to stand by your product!!! Be warned!

15th of May, 2011

I bought my Nook at Best Buy also, but I bought the 25.00 protection plan. They cover everything, even if you spill on it. Did they offer that to you when you bought yours? Even without it though it seems like one or the other store should work with you. : (

15th of May, 2011

I have both and far prefer the Nook. Makes me kind of sad to say that because I've had (and loved) my Kindle for a long time, since they first came out. But now its held together with duct tape and the battery won't charge well anymore. What sold me on the Nook is the back light, I don't have to attach a little reading lite to it when I read at night. But the whole color thing is fantastic. And the Nook has apps now!

15th of May, 2011

You get used to it hwga! And having any book you want literally at your finger tips is addicting. You can browse best sellers, old classics, etc. etc. then just download whatever you've chosen. Can't imagine it any other way anymore.

15th of May, 2011

Very true, there are some well worn, well loved books that I could never part with, E-Reader or not!

16th of May, 2011

Come on guys...the times they are a changin' !!

• Th
      25th of May, 2011

The base warranty lasts a year. As long as the device wasn't accidentally damaged, they should covered under manufacturer defect/general wear & tear issue. BN should be able to offer a replacement. If you still have trouble with phone support you can try to take it into a local BN store if there are any near you.

• Ha
      15th of Aug, 2011
    Barnes And Noble - Pick up option
    Gaithersburg
    Maryland
    Phone: 3017210860
    barnesandnoble.com

Used the "pick up in store" option online but once my husband got there to pick it up an hour later, a customer service rep said they didn't have it. Then I called the store and they said the DID have it. I had the send my husband again because they don't know what they're doing!

• Sh
      19th of Dec, 2011
    Barnes And Noble - unusable coupons
    Pennsylvania
    barnesandnoble.com

Barnes and noble sends emails with coupons that are not redeemable. The explanation for not applying the coupon is, number 1, the coupon is expired (it's not) and number 2, It can only be used once (it's the first time I use it). It's just a scam to get you into their webpage. I unsubscribed from receiving emails from them.

2nd of Jan, 2012

BN should have removed this option, putting CC information on Bn account, if not so we can't buy books with the help of GC. CC must be included which really sucks and I didn't liked it.

15th of Jul, 2012

I went to pick up a book at Tukwila, Washington named Witchcraft in the Pews, by George Bloomer and was on hold for someone else. It shows on the internet that is was available this is 8-miles from my home round trip.