Bankers Life and Casualty Company / Hiring Practices

2 Lexington, KY, United States Review updated:

I recently received a call from a recruiter from Bankers Life and Casualty, my resume was pulled from Careerbuilder. When I spoke with Amy, I mentioned that I was not interested in a Sales position so therefore, did not want to waste their time or mine. I was then informed that there were more than just Sales positions open and she would like to schedule me for an interview. I agreed to the interview, which was approximately 45 miles from my home. When I arrived I found this was a group interview with 11 other candidates for a Sales Agent. Other positions were available ONLY after you became a Sales agent and fronted almost $600 of your own money to become trained and licensed to sell their insurance. If you have to mislead people to get them in, what does that say about your company?

Mi

Comments

• Is
      22nd of Oct, 2009

OMG ... they just called me for an interview claiming it was Customer service/sales. Then checked into the company. Clicked on the career bar, and only sales appears and it says commision pay. They will give you commisions before you sell ????? Does this mean if I can't sell I have to pay it back???? So you say group interview?? It sounds like Vector Marketing (buy our product and we will let you sell them), or Kirby Vacuum... I am calling them and insisting upon truth before waisting my time and gas. I already have it hard making ends meet. What I read indicates strongly that this is a business opportunity. You can purchase things from them to get your business going, they do provide training, but I am concerned at whose cost.

• Pe
      2nd of Nov, 2009

I received a call today from them today and I didn't remember applying. I am glad I found this site because i was going to have to drive an hour and 45 minutes in one direction just for an interview. Thanks for the info.

• O2
      25th of Nov, 2009

I'm a little concerned about this too. I got a call from them today. I've been sending out a lot of resumes, but I don't remember this company specifically. I was really excited to get a call so without thinking I accepted the interview. Now, I'm looking into the company and I'm a little concerned. I don't want a sales position and I'm not sure I'm cut out for a commission job. Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna try to get back in touch with them and find out what's going on.

9th of Jan, 2010

I was emailed by Bankers in August 09 for a job. It all seemed very positive at first. I spent the money for the 52 hours training and another for a prelicense test prep. I admit a failed the California test 2 times before I passed. After notifing them of my passing they wanted me to come in and get started. On the documents, the very first page there is a paragraph that states you are not hired. I inquired about this but and was assured that once my Insurance License came through I would be employed in the mean time I was told that if I made any sales I would get half the commission. I spent my hours on the phone calling Asian and Latinos..I only speak english so few appointments were made. I went to only one appoint with an Agent that made a sale, I was told I would get about $350.00. Since the holidays were coming and my license was being held up in a background investigation I was told to come back when I got my license. I did get my license called them and told to come in after the New Year. When I did come back on January 4th I was told that I was actually not to return due to the long background investigation and they were in the process of hiring someone else. I never did get my money and never returned to the Bankers Office. All this hiring is just getting people to work for them for free.

• Ks
      31st of Aug, 2010

OMGGG I am sooo glad I saw this!! They contacted me this week for an interview. I asked her to explain the position but she did not!! The scams that go on, I tell yah

• Ho
      15th of Mar, 2011

This is so true! Bankers is a Bunch of Bull! DO NOT GO TO THE INTERVIEW! It is such a waste of time! They are set up in this bootleg office with a little room for the presentation. They sell you pipe dreams because they know so many people are desperate and gulable for a job right now and what they are selling is a bunch of crap! Yes the elderly needs insurance etc. But at what cost. I'm not gonna drive my car around and use my own cell phone to sell they're product. Gas too damn high! And the benefit package they claim they off... lmao! Yeah, it's one that you will have "choice" to purchase amongst the providers they provide for you to choose from. Where they do that at? It is just another smoke screen bootleg pyramid done on a different level. I say screw them!

• Mt
      29th of Apr, 2011

I just got a call this morning for an interview with Bankers Life & Casualty. Similar story here: the call was unsolicited from a "recruiter" whose accent was so terrible I thought the company was "Bankhurst Live & Cash" during the call. I'm totally unqualified to sell any kind of life insurance, but apparently her manager thought I was a good candidate for the job anyway. The recruiter didn't know much about the job, and when I asked her if she thought I was qualified she said "I guess so". If the recruiter doesn't know anything about the job they're recruiting for - how can they honestly assess your qualifications for the position at hand? Needless to say, I was skeptical so I did some more research.
    1. They are not a Nationally Accredited BBB company (though there are 5 locally accredited branches in the US - none no where near where I live)
    2. It's a group interview... I've been around the block enough to know that group interview = high turnaround/we'll hire almost anyone because we're desperate OR it's a scam.
    3. They expect you to pay for your training, up to $600 in licenses + travel, with no compensation. Additionally, when training is over pay is based on 100% commission & they take 50% of that for the first 6 months. That's jakced!
    4. They're not honest about where and how they generate their leads. I've come to expect some dishonesty from employers (which is a kind of sad commentary in of its self), but there's a difference of withholding critical company information and treading a barrier of ethical-unethical business practices - it's what has led us to be in the state we're in today.
    5. Despite their initial claims of $75k - $100k+ for first year salaries the reality is the average percentage of their agents start at $26k - $28k / year... that is, the ones who can muster the expenses of training and soul sapping.
    6. Everyone starts as an Insurance Agent - this means sales. Apparently to advance in the company you need to one: open your own branch or two: advance though your ability to sell (I assume by any means necessary) their policy's.
    7. There are more bad reviews/complaints than there is good-honest criticism and complements.

I know this site highlights complaints and criticisms, but I based my conclusion from several different sources on the internet and calls to friends in the investment field.
    In short, if you like to hustle people, pimp yourself out, pray upon the desperate, like to feel a like a slime bag or get yelled at all day (from what is essentially cold calling) with little in return - this might be the opportunity for you.

I called back and canceled the interview (had to leave a voice mail, told them no need to return my call).

• By
      28th of Mar, 2018

I don't know, I have a really good buddy that has been with Bankers for about 4 years and is in the 400k range right now. It's like most businesses and you get out what you put in. If you want to make the big money in any business it takes time and money. Most people are looking for a standard pay check with a 9 to 5 schedule and aren't suited for the entrepreneurial life style. I have been looking into Bankers based on my friends success. Like I said 4 years in and 400k isn't bad at all if you ask me, and he now runs his own office. There is opportunity out there, you just have to work hard and seize the moment.