Bank of Internet USA / Poor customer service

While travelling in Central America I discovered I needed to find a bank that offered a Visa debit card and one that didn't charge Foreign Transaction fees. I found Bank of the Internet USA and had my sister, who had Power of Attorney, to open the account for me. Recently, after my wallet was stolen, I had my sister again contact them to cancel the debit card. Much to my amazement instead of helping me through this, they cancelled my account because they said I required "special handling."

If they are not capable of simple customer service, especially during a difficult time, then this bank doesn't deserve anyone to utilize their services. Thus, if you're looking for a bank, DON'T USE Bank of the Internet USA.

Va

Comments

• Am
      14th of Jun, 2008

This doesn't surprise me at all. Bank of Internet USA is a very small bank and they make up their own procedures as they go along. I worked for the bank for many years and know that the bank is not ran very properly. It eventually is going to be sold because the investors are tired of pouring money into a business that are not giving them good returns. Consider yourself lucky for leaving the bank when you did.

• Ju
      22nd of Jan, 2009

I use Bank of Internet USA, I have several accounts and I can tell you; I completely understand how they approached your situation, they are not a sit-down, face to face bank, so why would you think a power of attorney would work for a bank that you cannot have face to face contact with? I have a power of attorney for my husband who is in the military and I only use it for tax purposes, when it comes to baking specially on-line you want to have the person handling your accounts as JOINT account holder not your POA.
    Maybe BofI USA is just not the bank for you.

• Ra
      27th of Jul, 2009

I opened an account with them recently and am very disappointed thus far. I've left 3 email (webform) messages over the last 4 days and called this morning (I had to wait until a Monday since they don't answer the phone on weekends) only to be put in a hold queue and then eventually forced to leave a voice mail message. No one has responded yet. I only went with them because of their high APY according to the reputable BankRate.com site. I am sorry I made that decision now.

• Je
      25th of Jan, 2011

Funny. I have had a completely different experience. I have had some requests that were difficult to handle and they did a great job. They are much more responsive than the average internet bank and have great value to give on checking accounts (ATM reimbursement, high rates, low or no fees).

• Kz
      2nd of Mar, 2011

The complaints outweigh the positive... I'm glad I read them before I invested in a CD

• S4
      19th of Apr, 2011

I used Bank of Internet for a 2nd mortgage and will never use them again. I paid off the loan in January and received 3 statements showing a zero balance since then, yet they reported my payment as late in April to all 3 credit bureaus. I haven't received a statement this month, but guess the fact that they continued to send me statements at all should have been a warning that something was wrong.

• Wi
      9th of Jul, 2011

Bank of Internet has been unusually helpful to me on at least three occassions during the past three years. Prompt replies and even once making exceptions to their rules in order to solve my problem.
    I have respect and appreciate their personnel and business attitude.
    I have used bank services for 65 years and BOFI rates as one of the very best with me.
    William H Custer

10th of Mar, 2015

I applied for a home loan refinancing with BOFI with a very high FICO and low LTV, no cash out. Very straight forward. It's been 4 months and they are still asking for more information, more pay stubs, my credit report expired so they had to re-order...then I got the news that they are going to re-price my loan. Are the advertised rates a Trojan horse to lure you in then change terms once you've committed time and sensitive docs? Very disingenuous program, stay away, not worth the brain damage.