Bank Of America Rewards Program / rewards points transfer scam

1 Penscaola, United States Review updated:
Phone: 850 916 7399

If you think that you can combine points from various credit card accounts in order to build up your total points... BEWARE! Like many others, I thought I had enough points to book two round trip tickets last summer for my wife and I. I was shocked to find that it was somehow going to take 120, 000 points and $328 cash. How is this possible, I wondered? Well I gave that idea up and just purchased the tickets. A few months later I noticed the "Transfer Points" link on the rewards home page. " Great, here is a way to get enough points if we decide to go somewhere" I thought.

This is what it says: "More points equal greater rewards. If you have more than one rewards account, you may be able to combine your points for better rewards or even share your points with friends and family. Now, the flexibility of transferring points makes rewards even better."

What it doesn't say is that is a scam to make your points expire in 90 days instead five years. There is a disclaimer not at the beginning of the process or in the middle of the process, but at the very end, as you are clicking to transfer the points. It says "these points will expire on... and a date (which is 90 days from that moment -- if you're paying close enough attention)"

I guess I'm just stupid, because I didn't do the math or pay that much attention to the actual date, because after all in the "FAQ" and Rules sections it says that points expire five years from date earned, with no disclaimer that says "Unless you transfer them, then it's 90 days".

Here's the bottom line: You have 90 days to use these points, and if you do not, they are gone forever. I have been trying to get them back for five months and was told today that nobody on the face of the earth can restore them, because I requested the transfer. I've cashed out all my points on three my cards on some junky merchandise and closed them out. I have also closed my business, personal, and merchant accounts with BOA. It is a first class pain in the neck, and I never got my 30, 000 points back, but I somehow feel slightly better. I hope BOA misses me, but I doubt it.

Comments

• Ou
      19th of Apr, 2010

Anyone else have a credit card that offers reward a round trip flight 25, 000 points anywhere in the continetal US then when you want to redeem it they tell you its 36, 000, 43, 300, 50, ooo or even 56, 432? Anyone want to form a lawsuit?

• Bo
      19th of Mar, 2013

I HATE BANK OF AMERICA!!! DID THE SAME THING TO ME, EXCEPT I HAD AN EMPLOYEE TRANSFER MY POINTS OVER THE PHONE AND THIS DISCLOSURE WAS NEVER READ TO ME!!! IT'S MARCH OF 2013 AND THEY STILL DO NOT INCLUDE THIS NOTICE IN THEIR TERMS AND CONDITIONS!!! CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT IS IN ORDER!!! THIS BANK USED TO CARE ABOUT ITS MEMBERS AND NOW THEY WASTE YOUR TIME IN AN EFFORT TO STEAL A FEW DOLLARS FROM LONG TERM CUSTOMERS!!! I HATE BANK OF AMERICA!!!

• Dj
      13th of Jun, 2013

the same just happen to me and they have announced they changed it back to five years but I missed the cut off date by 1 week I hate BOF

• Lo
      13th of Jul, 2014

I’m a beginner with accumulating and using (rewards) points. Nevertheless, I must say that my recent experience with redeeming points earn under BankAmericard Travel Rewards left me with a bill of several hundred dollars. I was saddled with this expense -- despite spending approximately 2 hours on the telephone and on-line chat-assistance prior to implementing the transaction to use the points. The information provided by the BankAmericard Travel Rewards chat-assistant, relative to the process of how to redeem earned points, was time consuming and complicated at best, because the chat-assistant was unable to and not familiar enough with the travel rewards process to immediately answer basic procedural questions. Plus the telephone assistance provided/received relative to the dollar-value of earned points was entirely incorrect.

The BankAmericard Travel Rewards Program is complicated, confusing and the only party negatively (financial) impacted from the confusion is the consumer. In this instant -- me.

• La
      25th of Sep, 2014

I have been a customer of Bank of America for over 20 years. (rewards card for 10years) I was saving my rewards points hoping to get a great vacation. When I received my rewards card it was never told to me that points expire. I was never told that there were rules associated with the points. After trying to find out how close I was to getting the ultimate vacation I find out that I have been losing points for years. called Bank of America hoping that being a loyal customer all these years would count for something. The associate said that they did not make those decisions but would put in a request to the department that does.

I receive my letter in a couple of weeks that was essentially a NO. You would think being a loyal customer would stand for

something! I would normally whip out my card regularly...not now...I am considering closing out my account with BOA account altogether. I am definitely looking into another card. Do they really think anyone in there right mind would let money go down the drain...smh...

Bank of America is not loyal!!!