Bank Of America / overdraft fees, pending charges... they wait

1 Orlando, FL, United States Review updated:

April 8 2009 my husband had 4 overdrafts post at the same time...first off we never had this problem with any bank before the economy went to the pits..then on the 9th i put $1000.00 in the account and paid the fees which put us at $700... 2 days later guess what i had $35 dollars left. All of a sudden after I put money in all of these charges appeared. Most were a week or more old. We still owe them money and they will have to wait until I am good and ready to pay them...Radio Talk show host Clark Howard has a spot on his website that talks about BoA so we are not alone... They know how to steal money from us so that the fat cat CEO can fly on his Jet and live in his manson... EVERYONE WHO HAS ANY ACCOUNTS WITH BANK OF AMERICA CLOSE THEM NOW BEFORE THE GET TO RICH AND TAKE OVER EVERYOTHER BANK IN THE WORLD...

Comments

• Do
      30th of Apr, 2009

I am writing this note to make you aware of the unfair business practices that Bank of America is engaging in.
    In the past, banks have charged an overdraft fee for posted items that took your checking account into a negative balance. This practice is fairly standard, and while the fees are high at $35 dollars an item, it is a known charge that each person can avoid with due diligence and careful accounting.
    However, Bank of America has taken overdraft fees to a new level. Now Bank of America charges an Overdraft Fee if the "Pending Balance", goes into a negative, even though the actual account balance is still positive. Even though the bank has not yet "PAID" the item. In other words, the pending item has not posted to the account, so the account balance is still positive, but the pending balance is negative, so Bank of America charges a $35 dollar overdraft fee.
    My example would be a pending watch repair charge that took my pending balance on Monday, 04/27, to a negative balance, but because of the watch company's merchant services, the item did not post to the account until 04/29. At no time did my actual balance drop below zero, but because my pending balance on Monday, 04/27, dropped below zero, Bank of America charged my account a $35 overdraft fee.
    Bank of America changed their overdraft fee policies back in March of 2008, but I never heard of any change. I do not usually run my checking account in a way that this overdraft event would even be a consideration, but this one in a thousand event occurred with the watch repair.
    I think the banking system in general and Bank of America in particular should not be preying on the unemployed this way, trying to generate a fee on something that has not even been paid yet. This type of fee generation is wrong, just wrong, and congress should do something about it.

• Be
      6th of Nov, 2010

I am having the same problem with Bofa. I had four charges in one day. I had all the right funds in there, but they processed all past charges on the same day to get the multiple overdraft fees. Also, I have overdraft protection. I had enough money in my savings account to cover the charges. However, I was still charged. As I complain, I am getting no help. Conveniently, the system is down and the customer service reps cannot help. BOFA IS A RIP OFF. I never, ever had any problems like this with my other banks. Citibank has yet to screw me over. I will be closing my account. We need to get the word out on their unfair practices.