Bank Of America Home Loans / make home affordable program negligence

United States Review updated:

Bank of America is neglecting and abusing the Make Home Affordable program. They have no desire to help anyone or extend this offer in the way they are supposed to.

I have never been late on anything and had no late payments ever on anything in my credit history, but lost my job due to disability in Jan of 09.

Bank of America refused to work with me, and after many months continued to tell me there were no options and that I couldn't qualify for the MHA program because FHA was not a part of it. Yet they continued to send me letters with options and I would call them every time. When I called they continued to say there were no options for me and that in fact I would have to pay even more than I did before monthly.

I started receiving Social Security Disability and am able to pay my mortgage but BOA refuses to even work with me. Then one time I called they said that FHA joined the MHA program. So I applied - by then it was Sept 09. I meet all the criteria. But I'm still waiting. It is now April 10, 2010. Every two months they send me an identical package to fill out and request the same paperwork that I've sent 5 times. They continue to stall. I'm not allowed to speak to my negotiator and every time I call I get different information from the flunkie who answers the phone.

Once, they even told me that it was incorrect that FHA joined the MHA program (after they told me they did and made me jump through hoops many times). Then next time they told me, no, that person was incorrect and FHA did join.

I can not believe the incompetence BOA is exhibiting with this government program designed to help people just like me - who WANT to keep their home and need a little understanding and a fresh start. BOA doesn't want to help anyone.

Today they told me my negotiator is on leave of absence and my case is now in limbo while they try to assign a new one, but they don't know when that will be.

I feel like I'm dealing with a used car lot every time I call. Their gross mishandling of my case is inconceivable - especially since I've been in my home for 18 years and really want to do a work out. I don't know where to go for help. I got an attorney to handle the foreclosure and hopefully be able to stall that while the HOPE dept of BOA gets off their collective butts and reviews my case. BOA even told me that if a sale date is set on the foreclosure before they get around to reviewing my case for a modification, I will lose my house. I'm HELPLESS against this bank.

Comments

• Da
      6th of Apr, 2010

I have been in nearly the same boat since November of 2009. Bank of America absolutely refuses to work with customers. I have been promised many things, but zero promises were kept. I really think it is a corporate ploy to continue to collect fees as long as possible in order for B of A to make more money. There is no other reason that they should be so totally unresponsive.

• Ad
      14th of Aug, 2010

I have experienced the same thing, I have also written a letter and I have sent it to every address I can find for BAC as well as all the news stations.

• Ba
      14th of Aug, 2010

MY HUSBAND AND I WENT THROUGH THE SAME THING. BOA TELLING US THAT THEIR REVIEWING OUR LOAN BUT ACTUALLY THEY WEREN'T DOING ANYTHING. THEY TOLD US THEY HAD'NT RECEIVED THE MODIFICATION PACKAGE WE SENT THREE TIMES BY THEIR SELF ADDRESSED FED EX PACKAGE. A DIFFERENT LETTER CAME OUT EVERY MONTH STATING WHAT DOCUMENTS THEY NEEDED WHICH I SENT TO THEM BUT THE OTHER FORMS THEY RECIEVED. HOW DID THEY GET ONE WITHOUT THE OTHER? THEY WERE IN THE SAME PACKAGE!!! FINALLY, THEY SENT LETTERS REGARDING FORECLOSURE STATUS AND THE ONLY OPTION WE HAD WAS TO DO A SHORT SALE. WE CALLED BOA AND THE FIRST THING THEY DID WAS GIVE US THE NUMBER TO HUD. I THOUGHT WHAT WERE THEY GOING TO DO GIVE US ADVICE ON HOW TO MAKE IT WITHOUT OUR HOME!!! SO I CALLED THEM AND MADE AN APPOINTMENT FOR US TO SEE THEM . WE WALKED INTO THEIR OFFICE AND THERE WERE POSTERS OF MAKING HOME AFFORDABLE MODIFICATIONS. THE SAME MODIFICATION I SUPPOSE TO HAVE HAD EIGHT MONTHS AGO. WE SAT DOWN WITH THE COUSELOR SHE DIALED BOA NUMBER AND WE WERE ON SPEAKER PHONE. SHE IDENTIFIED HERSELF AS BEING HUD AFFILIATED AND "OMG" THEY WERE TELLING HER THINGS THAT WE COULD DO THAT THEY WOULDN'T TELL US WHEN WE CALLED OURSELVES. THE OPERATOR TOLD US THAT WE COULD APPEAL THE DECISION FOR THE DENIAL OF MODIFICATION. SHE TOLD US TO CALL BACK IN FIVE WORKING DAYS AND WHEN I DID THEY SAID OUR MODIFICATION WAS APPROVED FOR THE MAKING HOME AFFORDABLE PLAN.
    FOR EVERYBODY WHO IS IN THE SAME POSITION WE WERE CALL HUD, HUD, HUD, HUD. BOA WILL GIVE YOU THE NUMBER. ALL I CAN SAY IS THANK GOD FOR HUD, THEY ARE THE BEST!!SAVE YOUR HOME AND CALL HUD!!!