Bank Of America / ripped off

100 North Tryon StreetCharlotte, NC, United States Review updated:
2.5
Phone: 800-432-1000

I have had an unhappy relationship with Bank of America virtually from the beginning. However, their customer service people would always help me, in the end and take care of Bank of America's indiscretions, although it would usually take hours on the telephone. This time is different and I have had enough. I have had multiple occasions of Bank of America posting debits before credits, even with my having time stamped receipts. Bank of America then refunds some overdraft fees, 'as a courtesy, ' but will make me pay up to 4 or 5 fees myself. I have paid over $1, 000 in fees caused by bank error. This isn't even my latest, most upsetting issue.

I recently (two months ago) made a deposit of $800. I then wrote out 5 checks against this deposit (totaling about $300-$400). Well, Bank of America decided to place a hold on this deposit without notifying me of the hold in any way.

Then, Bank of America decided to return all of the checks that I had written out against the (little did I know) held funds. Then, Telecheck and Certegy charged returned check fees directly to my account resulting in 7-8 overdraft fees. I received refunds from Telecheck and Certegy directly via paper checks (their policy). I was told that when a check is returned to them, they receive a 'report' giving the reason for the return. If a check is returned due to held fees, typically a returned check fee is only charged if after redeposit of that check still is returned. Both companies cited that the fees shouldn't have been charged an gave me refunds.

So, basically I am told something different depending on who I speak to at Bank of America, but the most common thing that I have been told is, if your account is overdrawn due to an unauthorized charge which is refunded, Bank of America refunds any overdrafts incurred from it.

Well, I faxed over copies of all of the paper checks to a supervisor in Claims by the name of Dawna who has decided to blatantly ignore my fax and subsequent 3 phone calls and voicemails. Every time I call, I'm told that Claims needs to handle this and will adjust the account and when I get over to Claims, I am told that if I have already received a refund, I don't need to enact a claim (clearly). I am then told that there is nothing that can be done.

My account is now -400.49. I have re-routed my direct deposit to a new account that I hold at PNC Bank, where I am much happier, thus far. However, I am receiving phone calls from Bank of America on a daily basis threatening to put my account in Check Systems at which point I will not be able to have a checking account anywhere until the negative balance is resolved. I'm going to attempt to contact Bank of America once more after work today, but I doubt anything will come of it.

I have been told that I would have an excellent case for legal action, which I cannot afford... :0) Thanks for any assistance in this matter.
Va

Comments

We
  25th of Sep, 2008
Bank Of America is ruthless. What happened to Overdraft protection fee in my case I guess it does not apply. My employer direct deposit my pay check 9/24 a day late. Which I did not know. I had checks came in on the 9/23. The day of the 24th early I saw my account in red for a total of $70 dollars worth of checks not covered. My pay check was in pending. Bank Of America does this to customers. NO other bank I know makes direct deposit checks stay in pending. However they do it all the time to me. I have 6 checks written all together $70. They charge me $35 for each check that came in .I called and asked why did they return the check when the same day money was there they said that the check was still pending. This is very unfair. I had that money there and they still return the six checks are charge fees along with overdraft. These fees have taken my entire paycheck. I have two kids and now I do not have money to make it this week. Bank of America does not care for people. They charge me fees when the money was there in the bank. I know for fact the Bank of America enjoys charging overdraft fees to Americans who are struggling. I read a article several years ago stated that they make billions a year off of charging people overdraft fees. This bank needs to be regulated. When I look at my account and see numbers in red online and my transactions are in one order and see a deposit amount. Then hour later I go back to my account summary I see everything balanced differently in a totally different order the transactions came in this to me is fraud. I can't help you but my story helps to know that you are not alone.
Cr
  5th of Sep, 2009
Remember this line: Deposits posted after 3:00pm will not be available until the next business day or after 2:oo pm. and not on Holidays. This is depositing, cash or checks.
Say Labor Day weekend. Put money in at 3:05 PM Friday (Bank is open to 6:00PM) You will not be able to get that money until Tues after 3:00 PM! So they place it in Pending. Not in Posted or cleared. So that money is not counted until they have it in their banks and confirm all the info is correct.

Bank of America Corporation Logo Bank of America Corporation