Bank Of America / overdraft fees

How is it that Bank of America can charge overdraft fees to my account when I have not overdrafted? They have charged me 9 overdraft fees this month and not once was I overdrafted.I was in the negative however when they took the first 5 overdrafts out.they credited me back only 4 of those witch was 140.00. the next day they charged me 3 more 105.00 they did credit that back and today 35.00 more out I am still not in the negative.I guess they are trying to figure out how to get all that keep the change money back.I plan on switching banks and do not recomend this bank.

Sh

Comments

• Ha
      1st of Jun, 2008

I have been banking with bank of America for the past 10 years. The customer service has steadily declined over the past year. The reps on the phone are very rude. This week, I found out they sent out a notice with statements a few months ago, regarding changes to their over draft and pending transaction policies. However, I had chosen their "paperless" option and do all my banking online. Since I did not receive this notice, I have $315.00 of over draft fees. I still am not sure how this new policy works and why I have all those fees. When I ask them to explain it, they act like i am stupid and are rude. I have completely lost their trust. My assistant at work, did not get the notice either and she accrued $245.00 in over draft fees. They act like we should have known about the change despite not receiving the memo.

• Je
      13th of Jun, 2008

I have read all over the internet about similar complaints to the one I have. I had money in my account and used my debit card, come to find out three days later and four overdrafts that "supposedly" there was no funds available. I know in my mind and heart that there was money because there had been a direct deposit and two cash deposits so there was enough for all the transactions to clear and still be very little wiggle room left over. I have tried to close my account, I was lied to several times by many associates that they would refund the fees. However, I have yet to see the refunds and the fees keep climbing. I HATE this bank, I regret the day I ever gave them my business. The problem here is not that I cannot manage my money, but that the online statements are decieving. It shows money in your account and even if you personally keep a running tally of what you know you have and have used they somehow to their profit make it so it isn't so. The problem is, they keep getting bigger and bigger and they will eventually get so big they won't care about the bottom line which is supposed to be their customers. To all my fellow "overdrafters without recourse" I feel your pain as do many others.

• Mo
      13th of Jun, 2008

hiiiiiiii
    how are you]

• Am
      8th of Jul, 2008

I am also in the same boat with these overdraft fees, my personal banking information has been lost and i told the bank about it, they said they couldn't do anything about it...i had to open a NEW checking account which took a few days to get my new atm card/checks, etc...well in the mean time there were debits trying to come in and BOA just continuously let them happen and kept charging me $35/time...I asked them to suspend the account to prevent this until my other account was up and running and they informed me they couldn't do it unless i went in the actual bank...BS!! My son has severe asthma and I am constantly having to take care of him in and out of ERs...plus I'm a single mom who works until 6pm sometimes...so its hard for me to get out and about esp. when the banks all have different lobby hours, etc. Now I've accrued over 14 NSF charges and they STILL won't do anything to help me out...is there any way I can have this stopped and them to take all those charges off my account???? This is just plain ridiculous and a HUGE ripoff to the consumers...I must say this is the WORST bank I've ever dealt with...I'm furious!!

• Ba
      13th of Nov, 2008

Bank of America's overdraft fees are completely deceiving and unfair. $35 dollar charges for spending ONE dollar more than I have when the bank displays your information making it appear as if I actually DO have the money is just EVIL.

9th of Jan, 2009

I have a checking account with this bank and sometimes have a small balance before my paycheck is automatically deposited. This week, I was charges an overdraft fee of $35.00 for a $6.38 check card transaction even though my balance was more than the transaction. Another check was coming through their system at the same time as the $6.38. Rather than pay the $6.38, they took the larger amount knowing full well that by doing this, both transactions would bounce. I contacted the bank via internet and the lady said that "they had found that their customers would prefer the larger items to clear first". This is absolute crap and not a policy. It is merely what "they have discovered". THIS BANK WILL RIP YOU OFF! DO NOT BANK WITH THEM! THEY ARE THE WORST BANK EVER!

• To
      28th of Jan, 2009

I have been fighting with BOA all year so far. They have a new scam now. They have now discovered how to make millions in one day by scamming their own clients. After a conversation with a bank manager who explained to me what they do is take off larger amounts first and then smaller amounts which means that they automatically bounce the smaller amounts due to the larger amount using up the funds.

Now if you had a balance of $500 in your account and you used your debit card for let’s say 10 small payments of about $20 each which will leave you a balance of $300. Suddenly there is another amount that comes off your account of about $400 which you forgot about for some doctor’s bill or something. Now at this point everything is pending in your account which allows them to fiddle the books. What they do is take the large amount off first, even though it was the 11th transaction in your account. This will leave $100 in your account and of the 10 previous transactions only 5 of them make it through and you will go into overdraft for $100. Then they hit you for the balance of the 5 transactions at $35 each which will be $175 in overdraft fees.

The manager and customer service will tell you that this is what the clients want. I have not found one BOA client who actually agrees with their new scam, they are actually angry about it. They also will refuse to take your money off your account as they receive it. They will rather leave it pending so that they can once again fiddle the books.

With everyone in debt and struggling financially, if 100, 000 clients overdraft on one transaction, in one day BOA makes a clean $3.5 Million. I am sure the figure is larger than that –easy money.
    When you go on line to complain to customer service they just send you back very patronizing emails on how you should conduct your account.

• Ra
      28th of Jan, 2009

Please feel free to email me about this complaint because my overdraft came from money withdrawn from my account which makes no sense to me. My email is missrholliday@hotmail.com

• Me
      19th of Feb, 2009

THey are a freaking mafia... when I have money in there it sometimes takes them up to 5 days to post things... when i'm low on cash... it will take them 1 day to process everything... I swear they hold things as long as possible waiting for me to spend enough so they can charge me $35.00 per thing... Hate this bank... should have left a long time ago.

• Ds
      6th of May, 2009

Bank of America and how they work by trying to overdraft your account so they can make money off of you.And have the balls to tell me over the phone that they dont care.

• Tc
      7th of May, 2009

I have had a Credit Card with BOM(Juniper) since 2004. Originally it was with Juniper bank at a fixed rate of 6.25%. BOM purchased the card and my percentage rate actually dropped to 3.25 % which was great. Now I receive a letter stating my interest rate will increase. I called and found out it was increasing to 9.25%(Variable rate). I asked why, since I had no late payments. No good reason was given. Also, my payment due date went from the 5th or the 6th to the 1st. I called and got a cycle time answer. What I found out the auto payers were having this happen to them recently to try to catch people off guard to making late payments. I also called back customer service and asked them what my interest rate was currently and I was told 3.25%. I asked was that subject to change? The answer was NO! As long as you pay on time. Lies, deception and poor management by BOM and government is who is to blame. Hay, lets give these crocks some more stimulus money.

• Bo
      14th of May, 2009

BOA cheats you by arranging you debit and atms so it looks like you overdrew your account. I had used my debit card from a Friday afternoon till Monday afternoon for various things. Monday I checked my available money and had a positive amount. We used the debit card that afternoon and overdrew our account by $26. This was done at 4PM. At 10PM I put $100 into my account, cash. I then had a reciept showing I had like $74 in the positive. The next day I was charged $175 in overdraft fees and then without using the account since Monday night, I was then charged another $35 fee!! They manipulate the numbers in such a way, it makes you look like you over extended your self all weekend!! I confronted the manager at my local bank and even called the main office, they argued with me over the account. You cant beat them, so I suggest you bank with a Credit Union or a bank that wont cheat you!

• Re
      15th of May, 2009

The Automative phone system, atm, online accout ect, cant give you an accurate ballace, eveyone knows that or you at least should. SOME transactios are pending at have not posted, especaily the ones you just did!!! Some businesses that you spend at may even take a week or longer to post it to your account. How was it there fault that you failed to write your transactions down and make sure that you were not overspending???? This is the reason you should ballance your account as you go!!! Are they supposed to hold your hand when you pee and wipe your ### too??? Really now, its your fault you overdrew your account not theirs.
    I had an issue with a different local bank like this HOWEVER I was young and I WAS NOT BEING RESPONSIBLE, the overdraft charges WERE ENTIRELY MY FAULT and I know it so I had no right to complain, as you dont now get a life

• Ed
      8th of Jul, 2009

BANK OF AMERICA STEALS 1/2 MY UNEMPLOYMENT CHECK

Am unemployed. Have auto deposit unemployment which would be been deposited to my Bank of America checking account at 0001 hours on 7 July 2009. Woke up this morning to find that Bank of America had processed payments PRIOR to crediting the deposit, taking $280.00 (8 overdraft fees @ $35.00 each) from my account, leaving only $6.09 for me to live on. I request that the $280.00 be credited to my account immediately.

• Am
      10th of Jul, 2009

Why would you write checks and spend money before it is in the bank? This is your fault and has nothing to do with BOA. Nice try.

• Je
      31st of Jul, 2009

My father keeps getting overdraft fees from Bank Of America, which he has noticed is at the end of every month (also when they approve ALL the pendings in order to screw you with overdraft fees).. I mean it's kind of odd that they have purchases pending for OVER A WEEK and then when they know you have low funds they screw you with all the pendings at once to get an overdraft fee out of you.

Anyone else have this problem? Also whenever he goes to the gas station and uses his card at the pump a $1 fee always is shown on his statement but then when it isn't pending anymore it mysteriously disappears.. HMM.. could it be another attempt to overdraft?

My father is seriously considering going to Blumenthal about this problem with Bank Of America, and after a show talking about how this guy made a program for Bank Of America that they paid millions of dollars to have so they can screw the american people, I can't believe nobody thinks this is illegal when it clearly is the ULTIMATE SCAM..

• La
      31st of Jul, 2009

OMG, I have paid sooooo much in fees. They moved the most expensive item first even if you bought it last. Scamm artists. When will we learn? I think this false sense that people dont hurt people needs to go. They DO hurt others!!!

31st of Jul, 2009

I JUST RECENTLY REOPEND MY ACCOUNT WITH BANK OF AMERICA ONLY TO RECALL THE REASON IN WHY I ALLOWED IT TO CLOSE IN THE FIRST PLACE... WHEN I HAD RECIEVD MY INCOME TAXES I WAS SWIPING MY CARD CONTINUOSLY NOW NOT ONLY DID THEY OVERDRAFT MY CARD WHEN I HAD NO MONEY LEFT BUT IT WAS IN FACT FOR THE SMALLEST THINGS SUCH AS GOING TO MCDONALDS OR BUYING SOME CANDY AT THE STORE OMG NOW I OWE THEM $150 IN OVERDRAFT FEES ALONE!!! WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO... NOW I ALSO HAVE A CREDIT CARD ACCOUNT THAT WAS OPEND UP ABOUT 1 1/2 AGO AND NOW JUST YESTURDAY I HAVE SOME PLACE CALLED BAY AREA CREDIT SERVICES CALLING ME IN THE MOST RUDE AND DISRESPECTFUL MANNOR I HAVE EVER BEEN SPOKEN TO TELLING ME THAT THEY WILL CONTINUE TO CALL MY HOUSE BECAUSE THEY WHERE THERE TO COLLECT A DEBT
    NOW I DONT TAKE BEING DISRESPECTD VERY LIGHTLY SO I SAID MY PEACE AND TOLD HIM DONT CALL MY HOUSE ANYMORE AND THE GUY CONTINUED TO CALL NOW I HAVE A FRIEND THAT USED TO WORK FOR A COMPANY OF SUCH SORT AND I WAS TOLD THAT THIS IS ILLEGAL FOR THESE COMPANIES TO DO THIS... THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CALL YOU MORE THEN 2 TIMES IN ONE DAY AFTER BEING TOLD NOT OT CONTACT YOU ANYMORE THIS MAN KEVIN MENDEL PROCEEDED TO CAL ME 5TIMES NOW SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH THIS... SINCE THEN IVE CONTACTD BANK OF AMERICA WHO SAID THEY NEVER SENT ANY DOCUMENTS OVER OF ANY SORT AND THAT THEYVE NEVER HERD OF THE COMPANY WTF...SO MANY LIES

• Fe

Yes I just submitted a similar problem with BOA ###! Im Disqusted & Fedup

• Ve
      8th of Aug, 2009

By the way I have decided that I am going to close my Bank of America account, and switch banks to ING Direct.
    BoA charged me with 200$ overdraft fee, as I forgot to transfer money from my savings account to my checking account.
    For 10 days i've been accruing this fee everytime i made a transaction.

I went and talked to the bank representative in the branch, and the customer center however it''s of no avail.
    I had even signed up for an electronic notification incase my balance was low, however i did not receive any alert. The BoA people say their records show i have not been subscribed for alerts, although i have an email confirmation saying i did.

I have sent them an email reg. this, if they don't resolve this issue, I am surely changing banks. Even if they do, i still think i will. I'm not comfortable putting money where banks don't respect people's hard earned cash.

It seems all the top banks have this fee(they altogether make 40 billion $ each year ripping off poor people).
    ING Direct however gives overdraft as a loan with a nominal fee, rather than the ridiculous 35$ these banks charge. Will probably go with them.