Banfield - Wellness Program / care of my dog

Algonquin Crystal Lake, IL, United States Review updated:

My dog has hot spots, unfortunately it is a problem some Golden Retrievers have. I had taken my dog to Banfield for years and have been on their wellness program paying for 2 dogs monthly. I went on vacation to Wisconsin and my dog got a hot spot. I called the vets in Algonquin and they are closed until they find a new vet for that location. They refered me to the one in Crystal Lake. I called and they had problems giving me the name of the product they prescribed. (I have it at home on my shelf - I didn't bring it with me because I forgot it) They told me to go get a triple antibiotic ointment and apply it to the area. It got worse! The vet is out sick today and I asked when the vet returns to call me. She said she wasn't sure when the vet would be back in because they are really sick. I am sorry the vet is sick. I am paying 21.95 per month and when I need their assistance they offer me nothing. It is a waste of money to use the Wellness program in our area. The Algonquin store can not keep a vet on staff and the Crystal Lake office doesn't want to help the Algonquin office patients. I thought I would let everyone know what I am going through with this situation. I would have NO DOUBT that this is not an uncommon problem between these 2 stores and the type of service they are offering!!!

Di

Comments

•   Jul 18, 2011

On behalf of Banfield we are sorry to hear that you left one of our hospitals feeling this way. We strive to provide outstanding customer service in addition to great pet care, and we don't like to hear when clients experience anything less. We hope your dog is doing well, and we appreciate your feedback. We want to continue to improve, and hearing your experience will certainly help us do that. To address your specific concern, and to help us improve our overall service, we would appreciate it if you would call us at 1-877-500-2288 to tell us what happened.

Jul 20, 2011

I am a very upset mommy! I took my boy, a 4 year old lab to the Henrietta, NY Banfield and I he almost died! Your "Chiel of Staff" Dr. Brenda Buck was my dogs vet. And due to a tail injury he needed an amputation. Dr. Buck had him in surgery on Friday 6/29/11 and by Sunday the tail looked horrible. She put a bandage on it to "protect" his tail. 3 days later he had a bandage change and had become so infected he had to have more tail taken off. A day later she hacked at his tail again. 8 days and 3 bandage changes later. (he had been bandaged the whole time. And she did changed them) he had an infected tail again. We took him to another real Vet and she said he needed 1 more surgery to correct his tail. The tip where Dr.Buck had sutured him up was nacrotic. She also said we had a window of about 24 hours before he became septic. We had him surgery that went fine it has been 3 days now with NO issues. The vet that fixed her hack job said that most likely the tip died due to the tournique was on to long during surgery. Some Chief of Staff you employ, what does that say about your staff? I will never step into a Pet Smart or Banfield again! Oh and by the way 8 days after surgery #2 the tip of his tail fell off and left his bone exposed! How can you say that you care about animals when people like that are your chief of staff?

•   Jul 20, 2011

CeasersMommy, we certainly take your accusations very seriously and understand your frustration since we see pets as family too. We are currently unaware of this situation and urge you to call our Client Advocate team to discuss. The number is 877-500-2288. We certainly understand that you feel comfortable at a different vet, and we hope your lab is doing well. We look forward to speaking with you.

Apr 04, 2012

Ceasers mommy-I find it heartbreaking to see what you & your dog went thru. I had the OPPOSITE experience with Dr. Buck, Our dog Sam had an allergic reaction to either his rabies shot or another shot he had gotten at another vet. To make a long story short Dr. Buck ALWAYS went the extra mile to make sure Sam was well. At one point when she couldn't be there she had the on duty vet call her at home. I know you won't agree with me that since Dr. Buck has left Banfield I feel as though their compassion has gone, well, to coin a phrase 'to the dogs'. I have been looking for her because I for 1 WANT her to care for my dog. As soon as I find her I know of 2 other people who will take their pets to her as well. I hope Ceaser is doing well. "Sam's mom"

Apr 04, 2012

Dr. Buck left from what I heard because of her surgical mistakes. Or maybe was fired, I am unsure but she was gone shortly after his 2 botched surgeries. And yes "Sam's mom" she was compassionate and caring. She did go the "extra mile", she came in on a day off 4 us too. But please remember that she was "chief of staff" that is her JOB! She gets paid to do that! DUH!!! She actually helped me receive a "grant from Banfield bucks" to help me with the cost of the 2nd surgery. But if you are not a good surgeon no amount of money will fix that. I have worked along side GOOD surgeon's and nurses. They do not leave a tourniquet on too long during surgery! That it day 1 stuff in med classes!

And as for the 877 "client advocate" team comment, That is a JOKE!!! It must be an automatic response to any complaint against them. It is on every complaint against them! And I did call and spoke w/ someone that assured me that someone from the company would call me back and that it would be not forgotten, he gave me his word! well it has been almost 10 months and no call back from anyone at Banfield at all!!! His word was as good as Dr.Buck's surgical technique!

And check all the issues Banfields from all over the country have! The staff are harming/ killing animals all over the country! Every town w/ a Banfield office inside a pet-smart or a stand alone office(only 3 stand alone Banfield's) have stories as bad and WORSE than Ceaser's. Thank god my dog is alive!

Apr 04, 2012

Sam's mom- check out Jefferson rd. vet. hosp! Dr.Scoda blows Dr. Buck out of the water by far. Way better staff all together!

• Li
      Feb 08, 2014

She is terrible

• Li
      Feb 18, 2014

Dr. Buck is an awful vet. She rushes through her exams and is very rude to her clients and staff. Do yourself a favor and don't bring your animal to her. I agree Dr. Scoda is far superior to Dr. Buck.