Banfield Wellness Plan / does not offer what it claims

1 Phoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:

I brought my dog to a PetSmart/Banfield location for shots and was given an itemized list of costs for the visit. The costs were well over $200. I was then given a polished presentation of the Banfield Wellness Plan and shown how much it would save me on this and future visits. This was at payment time, so it was either pay for the wellness plan or the visit and I chose the wellness plan because I would obviously be in the same predicament next time if I didn't. The contract for the plan was for 1 year, but I could cancel at any time. I am 9 months into the plan now but I have not been satisfied with it for about 4 months. My usually healthy dog has actually developed health problems recently and on each outrageous bill we have saved anywhere from $5 to $75. Office visits are supposed to be included in the plan but we have been charged 3 times for these. We began taking our other dog to a vet that is much closer and she seems to be much more honest about what the dog needs. Her prices are also much lower than Banfield's.

In my opinion, it seems that Banfield uses the age old marketing strategy of increasing their prices so that specials and discounts may be offered. $30 a month should not be necessary to receive fair billing for pet health care. Unfortunately, I still did not receive fair billing anyway. Now that I am 3 months shy of completing the contract, I would like to bring my dog to the same vet that my other dog has been seeing. Unfortunately, I was told by Banfield that canceling my plan means that I pay the remaining 3 months at once. Just like their marketing strategies, their cancellation plan is deceptive. If they require me to pay the remaining 3 months, why not keep it at monthly installments? After all, ability to pay the pet care bills is what is prompting my desire to cancel.

I am disappointed in Banfield in much the same way that human health care companies disappoint when they put money before humanity.

Comments

• Ok
      15th of Feb, 2010

I too fell for the Wellness program scam. Being a new pet owner I wanted to be responsible and give him good care. I bought the plan and found thatt he next time I took him there the bill even with the wellness plan was almost $150 dollars. They ran tests on him to be able to diagnose him they said. These I got at a 'discounted' price because of the wellness plan.

We had him neutered and paid $300 dollars out of an itemized bill that approached $1000 dollar if I hadn't been unfortunate enough to not have the 'wellness' plan. I took that bill to another vet and asked about the charges after a friend told us that Banfields isn't honest in what they charge. The vet told us he would have neutered him for $50 less than we paid and we didn't even have to pay an insurance premium each month.

Today I tried to cancel the plan and was told I could but I would have to pay a final payment equal to the 7 months premiums that would have been due if I stayed on the plan. This isn't what we were told when we took out the plan. We were told we could cancel at any time.

Deceptive practices and something closely resembling fraud in how this was presented to us.

I will no longer deal with Banfields and want to alert others to be vigilant in dealing with them.