Banfield Pet Hospitalthis is totally unacceptable

My Mother brought my cat to the vet for a check -up and because he was acting peculiar and had pulled back paw nail and it did bleed. She was refused and turned away when the receptionist said she needed my authorization signature and refused to fait to my job. The main office told me she was wrong, but she insisted they told her not to fax me the authorization. This is why the Staten Island Banfield CLOSED UP before. Shame on them and this will definitely get reported. This is totally unacceptable especially since there also was a problem and possible could be a serious one.

Comments

• Ji
      Feb 26, 2008
    Banfield Pet Hospital - incompetence, rude, unprofessional
    Cobb Place Boulevard
    Kennesaw
    Georgia
    Phone: [protected]

I took my 3 year old yorkie to Banfield Pet Hospital at Petsmart in Kennesaw to get his rabies vaccine and heartworm pills. While I was there, the nurses were completely incompetent, they threw away and had to reprint 4 different estimates in 20 minutes because they said they kept forgetting additonal fees for things like blood storage, etc. The nurse asked why I was there, I told her, and 2 minutes later she came in and asked me again why I was there because she forgot and didn't make notes in the computer for the doctor. When the doctor came in she said she didn't know what I was there for because there were still no notes in the computer. I told her again, they did his vaccine and drew blood and we left. The next morning he was shaking all over, would not move at all, and if you touched him he would cry and whimper. I called at 9 AM and told the receptionist what was happening and that I needed to know if this was normal or to bring him in. She put me on hold, then came back and said that I could bring him in if I wanted, but it would be $80, and "you know, like, they may just give him fluid, you know?" Literally, that is what she said to me. I told her I did not know, and could she please have a nurse or the doctor call me so I could know what to do. 5 hours later, I called back, because no one had called, and the same girl answered, I asked her if I could speak to a nurse or the doctor since no one had called me. The nurse was very rude, interrupted me in the middle of me telling her why I was calling, and asked what exactly is he doing. When I told her, she said (very rudely) that she has been a nurse for 5 years and has never heard of a reaction to a rabies vaccine. I was absolutely appalled because in the 5 hours of me waiting for them to call me I had looked on the internet, and told her so, about all kinds of reactions to rabies vaccines. Not to mention, that is why they will not let me take him in to get groomed until 48 hours after the vaccine. She told me that no one called me because they were in surgery, which at that point I told her how the receptionist answered my question the first time I called and she told me it was because she was new. She put me on hold, then came back and told me that she was mistaken, the doctor said it is possible for dogs to have a reaction to the vaccine, but as long as he is not vomiting and having diarrhea then it should be ok, and to bring him in tomorrow if he is not better. I will NEVER take him back there. I work for a doctor's office and if a patient is having problems we do not guess, or even come close to saying what the receptionist said.

•   Apr 29, 2008
    Banfield Pet Hospital - thieves
    www.banfield.net

I don’t understand when and why it ever became legal for animal hospitals to charge you like its going out of style!!! $355 for one visit...that’s ridiculous.

Not to mention they hardly do anything for charging you as much as they do. Then they hand you all these papers with checked boxes, and half the *** they got checked are things they never even bothered to look at!

No wonder why most people cant afford to take care of their poor pets, its because some douche-bag went to school for a couple of years and now he/she thinks its ok to milk people for every penny they got.

•   Apr 29, 2008
    Banfield Pet Hospital - don't use them
    www.banfield.net

Warning...once you sign up for their "savings plan" you can't get out. They will automatically renew you and if you want to cancel, you have to do so in writing and they think they can charge your card for the rest of the year (this is even after you fulfil your year's commitment) or charge the difference of the money they think they "saved" you. On several occasions the vet didn't even look at my dog and the lady at the desk already made an estimate of that day's charges and how I was going to pay. I had a $400 bill once, ran a lot of tests and they said nothing was wrong and sent my pet home with a few sulphur pills. I regret listening to a guy who had not been with the program long. My dog was very scared to go there and now he loves his new vet and has no anxiety.

•   May 05, 2008
    Banfield Pet Hospital - just got screwed at banfield
    www.banfield.net

My cat has a foot infection. Took her 2 weeks ago and I was given antibiotic pills to shove down her throat. Two weeks later no improvement so I take her on the follow-up visit. Different vet. Suddenly she had an ear infection (after two weeks of antibiotics??) (NOTE: he went straight for her ears, when I was bringing her in for her foot!) But he had to do tests to figure out what type of bacteria was in her ears. Then the only way he could figure out what was wrong with her foot was to take an x-ray (in order to check for any foreign body that might have been stuck in her foot). Well, TWO HOURS LATER, (I assume there was a TV movie that he wanted to see), he comes out and tells me - after performing microscopic tests, of course - that my cat's ears are dirty but very little-to-no bacteria...but he's still going to give me medication. Then he shows me an x-ray that may or may not have been my cat's paw to show me that there's no foreign body nor is there any bone problems. But he told me that she has a foot infection, to which my reply was "I knew that when I walked in". Now comes the bill. WITH the 5 or 6 medications he was anticipating I'd shove down my cat's throat, they were charging me a whopping $380.89. I told the "nurse" to take all of the meds and put them in the blender and have the "vet" take them himself. I got screwed for $275 and still have to take my cat to a v-e-t.

•   May 22, 2008
    Banfield Pet Hospital - stay away from these killers
    www.banfield.net

My dog Aisling died from Rimadyl being prescribed by Dr. Wesley Archer. He admitted it on tape that it resulted in her death but took no other responsibility. Banfield Corporation has not contacted me in the 3 months since her death!! Please stay away from these killers!!!

I have been devastated by her death and cannot get over it. She was a beautiful black lab with more good years ahead of her. Dr. Archer and Banfield took that away from me, nothing can ever replace her.

I don't know what to do or who to contact to make them pay for her death???

•   Jun 06, 2008
    Banfield Pet Hospital - very poor service
    www.banfield.net

I am another unhappy customer of Banfield. My Cocker Spaniel was diagnosed with chronic ear infections and was going deaf. I needed to buy all this extra meds for him. I declined and took him to my old vet. He had allergies, which all the symptoms have disappeared since taking the meds my "real" vet gave me. Now they tell me his teeth are very bad and he has a heart murmur. But his ears are fine. I just cancelled my wellness plan, but still owe them money, they say. We’ll see if they get it!

•   Jun 13, 2008
    Banfield Pet Hospital - be careful with them
    www.banfield.net

I have been taking my elderly cat there for a year now and his teeth problem has not gone away or been cured or even helped. The last appointment I made on the phone was for teeth extraction. My husband took him in and they said it was for a cleaning and he said no tooth extraction. He wrote tooth extraction. They still performed a cleaning and did not even address the extraction. They did not even call me beforehand to let me know that it was going to be a cleaning. When I asked about it because I called at 1pm to check on him, they said that the cleaning went well. I asked cleaning? It was to be an extraction, what happened? She then said that she would have the doctor call at 2pm. No call so I called back at 2:45pm. And then the trouble began. I won't go into details but becareful with Banfield.

•   Jul 04, 2008
    Banfield Pet Hospital - do not use them
    www.banfield.net

Banfield Pet Hospital near Barrett Pkwy Marietta GA is a dangerous place to take your pet based on my experience. I signed up for a wellness plan and followed their schedule for preventative treatment. What I discovered was that on every visit the staff had changed and you are dealing with completely different people. So with every visit you have to fill out the paperwork and are treated like a new customer. So it appears to be revolving door for new vets. Now on to the dangerous part. My pet received a rabies shot on his hind leg by one of Banfields "rookie" vets that cause a scar which is still present after a year. The hair on the injection site has never grown back in and probably never will. At this point, I should have quit taking my pet to this clinic but I found out that when I signed up I had not read the fine print, and discovered that I would be billed every month even if I tried to cancel due their incompetence. I still had 9 months to go so I stuck with them. This was a mistake. I took my dog in for a routine vaccine and fecal exam. When I picked the dog up he had fingernail gouges on his stomach area. He was clearly grab and held violently by someone at the clinic. That night he started to bleed from his rectum. I had to take him to another emergency clinic. To say the least I will never take my dog or any other pet to the Banfield Pet Clinic located at Barrett Pkwy Marietta GA. The real kicker is that when I called them and told them why I was cancelling my plan they told me that they are sorry for the problem but that they will still be charging my credit card till the contract expires. My advice is DO NOT USE Banfield Pet Hospital !!!

• Dy
      Aug 10, 2008

I don't blame you for being upset, , , even mad that you lost your beloved pet. But I believe you need to be mad at the makers of Rimadyl and not the doctor or hospital that prescribed it. Rimadyl like aspirin or any pain medication OR any medication given to your pet OR yourself can be dangerous or even deadly because of reactions to it. We need to think twice and be on guard when taking any medication.
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

• Vi
      Aug 27, 2008

Well acutally it takes about 8 years to get through school for a vet then almost 3 years of interning, so 11 years of education, just so you know for future reference.

•   Sep 15, 2008
    Banfield Pet Hospital - terrible service
    banfield.net

I came in at midnight with my yorkie trying to give birth - I set in the reception 30 min before being sent to a little exam room set in there another hour listening to the very young girls out front and a young tech (male) laughing and talking with each other - then a new client walked in and they all carried on - mean while my dog is spasming in pain and I am stressed to the max - finally I holler out and ask for someone to wait on me before my dog dies - a clerk from the front comes into my room hollers out the back door of the room a name I hear a response - but another hours passes with them laughing and carrying out front and me and my dog horrendously suffering in the little exam room by ourselves! Finally, I open the door and holler out again does my dog have to die first? Then finally the teck comes in with a snotty attitude - walks back out the vet walks in and starts to very rudely tell me off mean as heck! How dare I holler at his staff of ###ed teenagers or so the acted. I am 58 I own 2 business and am more than willing to take and pass a polygraph to all I am stating.

After he gets through with is obnoxious oration telling me off - I tell him I was not rude but begging for help and explained to him what exactly was going on - he said I will have a talk with them to find out if what you are saying is the truth - like I am a liar!

Comes back and apologizes - 21/2 hours down now, dear God in heaven!! Finally they do a c-section - get 2 tiny premies - and I hear the pups born - hear them talking - and they wait another 2 hours to come in and tell me 2 premies were born. The bottomline I went through pure *** because of them and so did my dog... who went out of her head from what they did was never normal again and I had to put her down - the puppies died the next day... thank you Banfield for your lies - verbal and physical abuse and now they are demanding that I pay them over $1, 300.00 for this!!

Where is the justice in this world - Banfield should have its butt sued off and forced to shut down!

Instead they are like Walmart shoving all the good emergency clinics out of business just by shear numbers... Eventually what goes around comes around and even corporations and their hateful employees will reap what they have sewn.

•   Oct 02, 2008

Banfield is ridiculous!!! All they care about is PUSHING their pet wellness plan on you!!! I took my 16 week old kitten for a routine booster shot and walked out with a kitten that had an injured leg. While trying to take my kittens temp. They were man-handling her to the point that she was screaming in pain/fear. The day after the visit my kitten could not put any pressure on her right front leg and was crying and shivering in pain. When I tried to call Banfield (at 2pm) they were closed. The phone message suggested that I call an alternate number (another vet/not banfield) When I called that number, they were either CLOSED TOO or just not answering!! I called the corperate number for Banfield but was quickly told that they could not resolve my problem. So basically Banfield Pet Hospital Corporation expects my cat to just "deal with" the pain UNTIL they are open... and even then they could not say if they would or would NOT pay for the needed medical care to repair the injury!!! I SUGGEST NEVER NEVER EVER GOING TO A BANFIELD ANIMAL HOSPITAL!!!

•   Oct 14, 2008
    Banfield Pet Hospital - awful place
    banfield.net

We had just purchased a puppy and she had a stuffy nose and was sneezing. We took her to Banfield hospital waited two hrs to be seen. When the doctor finally came to see our precious Sesi he asked us what her symptoms were. We told him what we knew and b4 even examining her look at Dad straight in the face and said, " Oh you should take her back and get your money back, 'cause what she has will KILL her." WTF??? How the *** could he say such a thing without examining her first? Thank god my dad had brains to tell him we just needed medicine to decongest her and he should probably take a look at her before making assumptions. Well they ran tests and still could not tell us what was wrong with our pup. We called the main office & they said they would look into it. Yeah a call back like a day later, "Oh we have found that there were no errors on our part!", they said. [censored] that place. This is not even the only messes up thing that happened that day this is only the worst part. Well needless to say, Sesi is back to clear breathing with no more sneezing! I'm pretty sure she's still breathing! [censored] OFF Banfield

Mar 12, 2009

rabies vax are routinely given on the back hip...the vaccine can cause a reaction with the skin called rabies vasculitis...which causes a scar and hair loss...the hair typically doesnt grow back...that is not a result of a "rookie" vet as you call them...it is a result of the product...if you have a complaint about the vaccines contact the maker...every pet reacts differently to vaccines whether they have had them for years or its just the first time...

• Bl
      Mar 22, 2009
    Banfield Pet Hospital - I took my dog into the hospital too many times!
    Banfield Pet Hopital/Petsmart
    Pennsylvania

I don't suggest to take your dog/cat to Banfield Pet Hospital at Petsmart. At first I thought it was such a good deal but then problem after problem occurred. I thought you paid this one time fee of like $300.00 but that's not the case, everytime I go into Banfield I pay.
    Okay let's get to the actual story. I took my puppy into Banfield to get fixed. The first couple of weeks after surgery she was fine, until I noticed a huge hole where the incision was made. I immediately called Banfield and told them about the situation. They told me to bring her right in. We took her into Banfield and they said that it was an abscess. I asked what we should do about it. They said it will cost nothing they were just going to cauterize it. In my eyes it was a huge hole and I definitely thought that it needed a suture. I also thought she would need an antibiotic but they said she would be fine. I figured they knew what they were talking about though since they work with animals on an everyday basis. Well two days later I was bringing my puppy back into Banfield because the cauterizing didn't seem to work. By this time I was very upset. I called Banfield again and let them know what was going on again they said to bring her right in. I took her into Banfield for the second time. This time they said she was going to need a suture. I thought with them making all of these mistakes on my puppy I would not have to pay, well I guessed wrong. They ended up charging us almost $30.00 for one suture. I made a huge stink about it because I didn't think I should have to pay. I wasn't the one making all of these mistakes they were. They told me either I was going to need to pay or they weren't going to work on my dog. I ended up paying the $30.00 because I wasn't going to walk out with my puppy having a huge hole in her stomach. Like a week later my husband took her in to get the suture taken out. He had notified them that she was putting off this off awful smell. They said it was part of the healing process, which sometimes after surgery there is a smell but this was horrible. Weeks later again my puppy was still having problems. I looked at her stomach everyday and nothing seemed to be healing. Weeks later her incision should've pretty much been healed. I waited a little while longer. Then I noticed two bumps where the incision was. I then called into Banfield again. They said to bring her right in as they did two other times. Again I took her right in. I had told them she's been throwing up...licking at her behind..and still having problems with her stomach. (I think the reasons why she was doing all of these things is because of the infection on her stomach). They didn't really say much they just said they need to take her into the back room. So 20 minutes later they come in to tell me Paisley (my puppy) still had two sutures stuck in her stomach...plus her anal glands needed drained. They took out the two sutures and also did something with a anal glands. Meanwhile no one came and talked to me about anything that was going on until what they had did was finished. They then charged me for both procedures. Well enough said. We are definitely switching after our yearly plan is up with Banfield. We just had way too many complications. Thanks so much for reading what I had to say I hope it helps anyone who is trying to make a decision on where to take their pet.

Mar 27, 2009

I understand your concern for your pet. But, what your pet was experiencing with the limp, was a vaccine reaction. Completely normal. They can range any where from being sore, not walking on the limb, lethargic, not eating or drinking, and even as server as shock. As far as your pet freaking out with the temp being taken, think about it, let me try and take your temp without having to hold you down. And it is possible that the pet was to fractious or aggressive, so they had to use a little more force then usual. I do hope that you're kitten is doing better.

• Pe
      Aug 23, 2009

I AM ALSO HAVING PROBLEMS WITH BANFIELD. CALLED TO CANCEL PLAN AND WAS INFORMED THAT THEY HAD RENEWED IT 2 WEEKS PRIOR IT EXPIRING. IN ORDER TO CANCEL NOW I WOULD NEED TO PAY CLOSE TO $350 FOR PROCEDURES PROVIDED.
    YOU CAN CALL AND SET IT UP NOT TO RENEW.

• Lo
      Aug 30, 2009
    Banfield Pet Hospital - overcharged greatly
    banfield.net

BAH continues to draft my checking account. I am stuck in a contract(This is the 4th year of a 1 year contract!) They have drop off appointments for services (with no comunication) they are never available for sick or emergency visits. They always find a procedure, treament etc. in addition to "covered services so that every "in plan" check-up costs me $60- $300.00 more. They removed the wrong lump requiring a second surgery and acting like I should have been grateful they didn't charge me for putting my poor dog through anesthesia again. The last time she had her teeth cleaned it took 3days to recover from anesthesia and although " eye abnormality was noted on the apperwoork this was never communicated and coatand skin were "normal even though the reason for the apointment was hotspots (I had to have a drop off "well checkup" for them to see her) It took a threatening email before the Vet returned my calls about this I have yet to hear from Banfield regarding any of this. My advice is to stay away from "chain store" vets .

• Vi
      Sep 09, 2009

Sounds like the vet did everything correctly. You're just too ignorant to understand it. Oral antibiotics often do not help ear infections, at least not without topical medications on board as well. Taking an x-ray of the foot is totally appropriate. If there was a foreign body in the paw causing the infection then any amount of antibiotics might not have helped and may have made it worse if you'd waited.

Sep 09, 2009
    Banfield Pet Hospital - poor service, no explanation
    Duluth
    Georgia

I took my cat in so they could look at a type of blister/cut/ cyst on his paw that had become infected (it was oozing yellow liquid). I waited nearly 40 minutes and the vet gave NO diagnosis, only that it was infected. (duh-that's why I took him to the vet). Then they charged me twice for 2 different antibiotics, which I noticed later.

The gave me some antibiotic drops and told me the dosage. When I returned home to administer the medicine, the dropper had a different form of measurement than what they had told me so I called to make sure I had converted the measurement correctly. The receptionist first said "the dosage is on the box" I explained that I wasn't sure and she went and checked, but I felt like they were implying I was stupid. I wasn't able to administer the medicine at that time because it had gotten late and I had to work. I put it in the fridge and went to work.

When I returned it was 9:30pm and I opened the medicine and it was already opened! Horrified that they gave me unsealed medicine, I set it on the table by my purse so I would remember to return it the next day when I went out. At this point I thought the medicine had already been used and was bad and didn't see any reason to refrigerate it.

I went to the vet with the medicine and explained that it was opened. They told me they ALWAYS did that because the medicine comes in a powder form and they have to mix it with drops. I was shocked that the nurse had not explained that to me. I asked for another bottle since the other one had not been refrigerated (because I thought it was bad) and they tried to charge me for it! I ended not taking it at all and walking out. I later went to a health food store and a got a natural herb antibiotic for my cat which is what I should have done in the first place.

I next called Banfield's 1800 customer service line. I said I wanted to make a complaint. A guy said that he would type my complaint into his computer word for word and then send it to coporate. I said "I am not asking for a refund, I only wanted to voice my concern about the vet and the nurse's lack of diagnosis, explanation of dosage and explanation of opened medicine. " I proceeded with the same story as above and he said someone would call.

Someone called 3 days later and left me a voicemail saying that I could not be issued a refund!!! Uh huh, word for word? Not even close.

I will never return to a Banfield, not even a different location. As shown above, the vet, nurse, and corporate office doesn't care at all about the pet or the customer. They didn't even listen to a word I said.

• Ha
      Sep 15, 2009
    Banfield Pet Hospital - d0 not take your pets there
    Banfield Pet Hospital

On Sunday, August 23, my two dogs got in a fight.

I noticed on Tuesday, August 25, that the one dog's face on the right side was beginning to swell. I decided to keep an eye on it and take her to a vet on Wednesday if it was still swelling.

On Wed her face did look worse, but my husband had chest pains and I took him to the ER, he was admitted to the hospital and ended up in ICU.

On Thursday morning I called my daughter and grandson and asked them to find a vet and take my dog Sasha because her face was really swollen by now. My grandson googled the closest vet and found Banfield (7th Ave and Bell Road in Phoenix AZ). Since they are affiliated in the Petsmart store, I had confidence that this was a good place for them to take her.

When they arrived and the exam was completed, it was decided that she needed to have surgery. The cost was given of approx $1200 and I agreed to this - since my husband was in ICU, I could not put his dog to sleep at this time. Surgery was done, a drain tube placed in her cheek, oral and ear drop antibiotics were given. (She has been given her meds every 12 hours since the surgery).

On Monday, August 31, my daughter took her back to Banfield as requested by the Vet. She was examined and the drain tube was removed.

On September 10 I noticed that her face was starting to swell again. I called Banfield and was told that in order to have her checked again I would have to pay another exam visit. I questioned this since if the decision to remove the drain tube too soon was made, then I should not have to pay for that mistake. Christy put me on hold, came back and said she had talked to the Vet - and that there was nothing they could do - if I wanted her checked again I would have to pay for the visit. I told her I was very unhappy and that if I was going to pay someone a 2nd time to care for my dog after this botched procedure by their Vet - it would not be them.

This is the WORST vet attitude I have ever encountered. I am so sorry I took my pet to this location. I will do everything within my power to make sure others are aware of this treatment. I will share my BAD experience at every opportunity. I do not have another $1, 000 to take care of my pet and if another surgery is now required, then my pet will probably die.

Banfield at this location in Phoenix did not care about my pet – and since my incident I have seen so many unhappy customers at other locations that I now beleive that Petsmart probably doesn’t care either or they would not have continued affiliation with Banfield

My comments are to share my BAD experience - if my dog had not been so sick, and I would have checked all of the complaints before I would not have taken her to Banfield.

• Uf
      Sep 16, 2009

Any time dogs fight they should be taken to the vet immediately. Mouths are disgusting, they breed bacteria and dog's teeth really tear into skin and rip everything up underneath when they shake their heads in a fight. Five days is a LONG time. It may not seem it to you, but if you had open dog bite wounds on yourself, you would have gotten right to a hospital. They did what they could with five day old bite wounds.

--Former Banfield Vet that got tired of listening to people complain about moderate prices when I spent 200, 000 dollars to go to school and learn the anatomy, physiology and treatment of multiple animals. Try going to an emergency vet next time. You will spend over 2-3000 on a surgery.

• Pu
      Sep 22, 2009

I have no sympathy for a vet complaining about college tuition. You knew those charges going in and had options, but it is no excuse for gouging customers or for poor service & attitude.

But you certainly did make this person's case for a callous vet's office!!!

The vets I've been to would have looked at the dog for no charge as part of a follow-up visit. If further treatment was needed, it probably would have cost, but they would have looked at a dog they had treated for free if the problem persisted.

Read the complaints on here; there are many bad reports on Petsmart, so next time you'll know better.

Hope your husband and your dog are better now. Good luck!!

• Ge
      Sep 24, 2009
    Banfield Pet Hospital - do not believe them
    Banfield Pet Hospital

So My wife and I noticed one of our dogs was itching alot and then all of the sudden she started loosing her hair! So we took her in to Banfield's since that is the closest vet to our house. They said she is allergic to flea bits. she gave us First Shield and shampoo and a conditioner and some other crap total (over $120). They convinced us to get a skin graph and skin scrape (another $60) they said she might also have a food allergy and recommended this dog food that is $65 for 15 LBS!!! And then after the graph and scrape they said she also has ring worm and bacterial infection. They wanted to treat everything all at once (another $230) I asked them how can we know whats wrong if we treat everything all at once? The lady said its just easier to be safe than sorry. After doing some research I found my dog had no symptoms of ring worm or a bacterial infection and they thought that the itching and hair loss could be either allergies or fleas (this is when I asked about how treating for both would tell us which it was). After using First Shield for several months my dog has lost more hair and itches non-stop and I still see fleas on her!!! I am out over $300 and I am worse off than when I started!!! I flea bombed I used the shampoos and sprays and did everything they said to do and all they have to say is bring her in and we can diagnose her again!!! Thats $30 just for the visit plus whatever ### tests they "need" to run it would be another $100+ for that visit!!! (I AM NOT JUST A RANDOM PERSON I HAVE WORKED AT VET CLINICS, HUMANE SOCIETIES, ALL OVER OREGON, I AM NO VET BUT BEEN AROUND AND WORKED WITH VETS FOR YEARS!!!) TAKE MY ADVICE DO NOT GO TO BANFIELD'S THEY ARE *** VETS, EACH VET WILL HAVE A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT DIAGNOSIS, THEY SCAM YOU AND FALSIFY INFORMATION, DO TESTING THAT IS NOT NECESSARY, TRY AND TREAT ONE SYMPTOM WHICH COULD BE MULTIPLE DIAGNOSIS ALL AT ONCE INSTEAD OF RULING OUT POSSIBLE ISSUES NOT ALLOWING YOU TO FIND OUT THE ACTUAL EXACT PROBLEM, THEY SELL *** PRODUCTS AT OVER PRICED LABELS, THEY ARE NOT AFRAID TO SELL PRODUCTS THAT ARE PROVEN TO NOT WORK OR CAUSE HARM TO YOUR PETS!!!, THIS IS A CORPORATION NOT A CLINIC THEY ARE VETS WHO CANNOT GET HIRED BY TRUE CLINICS OR ARE NOT COMPETENT ENOUGH TO HAVE THEIR OWN CLINIC, THEY ARE ALL ABOUT $$$$$ NOT YOUR ANIMAL!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TAKE MY ADVISE!!! I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT AND DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE I DID AND SO MANY PEOPLE DO DAILY. WE NEED TO ALL PUT A STOP TO BANFIELD'S FRANCHISES EVERYWHERE!!! STICK WITH YOUR LOCAL CLINICS THESE ARE VETS THAT TRULY CARE ABOUT YOU AND YOUR PETS BECAUSE THEIR JOBS AND REPUTATION DEPEND ON IT IN ORDER TO COMPETE WITH THE BANFIELD'S OF THE COUNTRY!!!

• Be
      Oct 15, 2009

i think it is always the vet u talking to and not the company!
    we've been ther and we were satisfied!

Nov 21, 2009

drs have to check the ears as part of the physical examination. and it's not their fault if the ears were dirty. as far as the cat's foot infection, if you knew that the cat had the infection in the first place, you should've anticipated at least some medication being prescribed.

• Ar
      Nov 21, 2009

This sounds like a standard vet visit to me. You're really not going to find a vet that won't follow this sort of protocol when bringing your cat in.

Nov 21, 2009

obviously, you were a walk-in. that's why you waited 2 hours. you didn't have an appointment. puppies are known for sneezing and coughing. it's called kennel cough. and it's very dangerous. it even kills adult dogs, and for a puppy to get it, it is very dangerous and very contagious. the dr was being honest. most places offer a certain amount of days and you can return the puppy if it's not healthy. the dr was only being honest that the puppy could die from this, certainly not make it through, and that you should get your money back.

for you to say that there were other things gone wrong that day, and that was only the worst. obviously, nothing happened that day. you couldn't even list the other things on the complaint website? that's strange.

"Oh and all you Banfield protectors stop shootin to defensive mode when you read these complaints, until they treat you pet like a piece of S#$T you have no room to talk." i love how you say this. funny you say this. becuase most people who work at banfield, i would say 95%, own pets themselves, and they probably give their pets better care to live a longer, healthier life than you could ever give a pet. you sound like a kid. you write like a kid. so, you are probably one of those teens who doesn't even know what you are talking about. you probably forced your dad into getting a dog that was sick to begin with, draining his pocket for an animal you can't even care for.

Nov 21, 2009

your kitten is a kitten. of course it is going to squeel when it's being manhandled. they don't like to sit still for 2 seconds, they are always all over the place. and if the banfield is closed, they're closed. that's why they tell you to go to the emergency clinic when they are closed for that very reason-if you need medical attention and they aren't available. that's like you going to try to see the dr at 2 pm, when they are closed or at lunch. you are going to have to find alternative solutions. be an adult.

• Mr
      Jan 21, 2010

I absolutely agree with complain, i just had bad case with my dog last weel and still waiting to talk with supervizer.They did horrible job and my dog almost died, and now try to wash their hands with al b...t, i want hire a lawyer and wrote them demanding letter, maybe after that they will communicate with me. I live in Florida, in Cape Coral.

• Ph
      Jan 26, 2010

Next time you go to the doctor, look at the charges before the insurance company pays up. Then, you may have a perspective on how cheap a veterinarian actually is. Not only are we expected to be internists and surgeons, but we also earn 1/3 the salary that a human doctor does.

• Ph
      Jan 26, 2010

No such thing as an herbal antibiotic. Would not work on an infection if it is bacterial. Just herbs and, I hate to tell you, alot of the over the counter herbal remedies are the biggest rip off ever.

• Mi
      Jul 01, 2010
    Banfield Pet Hospital - lack of care
    Banfield Pet Hospital

Nov of 2017 the FDA put out an alert about Vetsulin and the varying amounts of the crystalline Zinc insulin. However, my vet never told me about it and the possible side effects.

In May 2017 I went in to pick up a vial of insulin. i was told that they were out and on back order. I asked if they can call their other locations to see if they had any in. After calling 5 locations there was one nearby that had 1 vial left. This was alarming news and asked the nurse if the vet would be willing to script out in case of a situation like this occurs again. She comes back into the room and says No he will not script it out. Now a month later he is scripting it out b/c they no longer have Vetsulin at any of their locations. They put my dog on Humunlin N and said to keep the same dosage. They never told me about the need to switch syringes now for the past 3 days my dog is getting who knows what kind of dosage. I am so furious at their lack of care.

Jul 08, 2010

A vet ( a good one) will always offer the best care. You can always request a more conservative route or request to focus on one issue. However do not be upset if the dr is not medicallly comfortable with that

Jul 08, 2010

Wow .. Do not talk to concerned owners like that!! I understand protecting your doctors. Since you work for Banfield you know your focus is client education. How about explaining the protocols and the reasoning.

The doctor probally sees a lot of very sick pets from puppy mill like places in the area. It that is so it was nice to try and warn you. Sometime if a comment seems offhanded to you it may be because they have seen many pets come from the same places with the same issues and don't want to slander but still want to forwarn a client.

We have had our GSP hunting dog in the Top Wellness Plan for years.
    Last year these Hacks, butchered our dog. Removed a cell mass, and only put in a few stiches.
    Next day they needed to put in staples, as they should have to begin with.
    The bleeding still continued, I called they said he can't move or it will still bleed.
    Next day the staples began coming out. During these days of recouperation, I had to hold the dog not to move at all just to stop the bleeding.
    I called daily asking what I needed to do next?
    After 5 daily trips to their office, they said now we can only treat it as an open wound.
    Now it is 3" by 4" square of open wound. Treat it as an open wound was their only cource of action?
    After a week of this, I took him to the Specialist and had a real Vet. DR. redo the operation.
    Another $1, 500. to correct their hack job.
    Staples were again used to close the wound. This time put in correctly, and they held and healing began. Bleeding was never an issue.

Yesterday he went in for his update, shots, X-rays the whole deal.
    I dropped him off at 7:30 am. Expecting to pick him up after 2:00 pm. as directed.
    I drove right over to find my dog running aound their kennel area.
    I asked, What 's the problem? They said he just growels at us, and we can't mussel him.
    I put his lead on and took him outside, where he took a pee as soon as he got out the door.
    Two more steps and he began pooping. I thought he had all his business taken care of before I dropped him off at 7:30 am. But I guess 4 HOURS in the kennel waiting for treatment was too much time. He has never in 10 years of life ever done his business inside and never in his kennel.
    No there was not any emergency treatments going on, they just knew they had all day to their job.

THESE TECHS CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A DOG THAT NEEDS TO GO OUT, AND AN AGRESSIVE DOG? Where do they get these people?

Our GSP is a lover of all. And has never snapped at anyone.
    I went back in to talk to the Vet., and discussed What took so long? And why hadn't treatment started. He said, "I don't know? They said they couldn't put a mussel on him?"
    I said, "Why don't you have any system in place to put a mussel on? If that's want you need"
    He had nothing to say.
    Now I need a new Vet. We only began at Banfield because our family Vet of 15 years with other dogs retired.

Aug 29, 2010

did they do a black light test for ringworm?? or did you just not want to pay for it?? because if they did do it, you would be able to see for yourself if it was positive for ringworm because it glows. or, they take a sample of the fungus and grow it in a dish. THERE ARE REASONS FOR DOING THESE TEST! and a skin graft?? REALLY?!?! unless all your dog's hair was burned off in a fire.. they would not have done a skin GRAFT. so quit over exaggerating.

• Ha
      Nov 08, 2010

I can't believe you told the vet to do blend the medications and take them himself, you could have stated "is there any way I can get an injectable or liquid form of this medication?"

I'm sure this would be available at a compounding pharmacy, which would be an additional cost. WHICH I'm sure you would have also been upset about.

You have to go through about 10 years of school to be dedicated to caring for pets, I doubt the Doctor sat down and watched T.v before taking the x-ray so that he could then hear you complain some more about how you don't want to give medication.