Balsam Hill / Stuck with a xmas tree that won't stand & doesn't fully light

1 50 Woodside Plaza, suite 111Redwood City, CA, United States Review updated:

I ordered an artificial tree from this company on line. It arrived promptly, however upon opening & trying to assemble the tree on Thursday, we discovered that it did not fit into the stand. I immediately called "customer service" which the web site states is open 24 hours. I spoke with the company rep who after taking all my order info said that she would send an email to "customer service" and they would get back to me within 48 hours. As she admitted, she is merely an order taker & can be of no help in addressing any problems. Upon my response that 48 hours was an unacceptable wait given this 9' tree was sitting in pieces through out my living room & huge boxes sit in my entry way, she said she would do the best that she could but could make no promises. I called 2 times on Friday, but was not allowed to talk with anyone who could actually do anything. Someone from customer service called me at 6 PM on a Friday evening when I was not there, and left a message asking for further information & to call her back, despite the fact that I had already given all the necessary information to all of the prior reps, but it didn't seem to be documented. So I have now spoken to 4 people, yet nothing has been done to rectify the problem. I finally get through on Saturday morning only after getting fairly belligerent. After a barely 2 minute conversation, it is determined I need a bigger stand. However, the stand cannot be shipped on weekends, so the best they can do is to send Monday for a Tuesday arrival. When I object & ask if I can count on the rest of tree working when we do get this stand, she suggested I check the various sections to see if they work before I decide whether to return the tree & assured me that I would be able to get through to her, that she would make sure of it. Well, I have now been waiting on hold 40 minutes so far (& only after I was told that "she isn't in today")to tell her that in addition to one stand, one section does not light properly. I have never dealt with such an unprofessional business in my life. I am sitting in my messy, undecorated house on hold when I should be decorating the tree, baking, cleaning up for our upcoming holiday guests or even shopping, but I am stuck waiting on hold to tell them that this tree is going back, since I have no faith that it will be in working order when the correct, functioning pieces arrive. So now, I have to pack this thing up, ship it back (& wait up to 30 days for a refund) & go out & get a real tree. They obviously have no respect for their customers & no particular concern for quality control of their product.

Va

Comments

• Pe
      20th of Dec, 2007

We purchased a tree in August from Balsam Hill. We moved into a new home and the tree is too large for our space. When I first contacted Balsam Hill for an exchange, the person emailed me back and informed me they do not do exchanges but I could return the tree within 30 days of purchase and before December 25. I had included my order number with the message so I assumed she knew that I was past thirty days, but before December 25. She asked if I wanted a return authorization. I sent a note back saying YES.

When I got no response I called the Customer Service line. That person told me (she immediately said you are past thirty days) that they do make exceptions to the return policy and the person I had been corresponding with had the authority to make that exception. She took my name and phone number and told me Angie would call me the next day. No one called, but Angie sent me an email saying "upon further review you are past the 30 days, no return." I sent a message back asking for consideration, some options because I had a tree that I could not use. The message came back no - but happy holidays.

I then sent a letter to the CEO Thomas Harman via overnight courrier asking for consideration - an exchange for a smaller tree, a 3/4 or 2/3 refund, something! So far no response. So much for Customer Service. I will never purchase a product from Balsam Hill again nor will I recommend them. To the contrary I will tell everyone I can not to buy from them.

• Am
      25th of Dec, 2007

I absolutely disagree. When you purchase an item and it clearly states you have a timeframe for returns, that should be end of discussion. I cannot see why people think there should be exceptions... if an exception is made for each little issue, why would companies even have a return policy?

• Db
      7th of Jan, 2008

Totally agree! I bought a $1229 tree on 11/13, had it in 2 days. Had broken stand, pins missing that secure branches, balls of excess wire wrapped up & wired to branches, branches not in slots but wired to other branches with not enough slack to put in proper slot holders. Customer service was great in November, got to know people by first names, especially "Jean" who told me to return the tree. They paid to have the tree shipped back (agreed it was a "lemon"). Received at their warehouse on 11/29. It's been almost 6 weeks and I still haven't received my credit yet. Called many times in December, asking "Jean" (cust. service rep) to return my calls but has not. Sales dept. who cannot do anything said even they cannot reach customer service dept. which is "downstairs" from them (according to one sales agent). On 12/26 was told that I could not speak to customer service, Jean was not available. On 12/28 I was told that "all credits would be issued next week." On 1/2/08 I was told that I should have gotten my credit by now. On 1/4/08 I was told that "Loreen" would "escalate" my request for my refund. They are supposed to issue credit within 30 days from when they received the returned item. It's well beyond that now. I have 30 days after their 30 days, to file a dispute and they are eating up my time by giving me every excuse in the book. I'm also going to file complaints with the atty. generals office in my state and Better Business Bureau. Balsam Hill is obviously making a ton of money on interest that belongs to their customers. Something needs to be done about it.

6th of Oct, 2008

Balsam Hill. I bought the "best" tree they had to offer...the 9' Aspen Silver Fir. This thing cost a fortune, look it up! I got the multi and clear lights with remote. The needles are fairly lifelike, but not for the price. The branches all mount in perfect circles around the trunk...no staggering...and you can easily see this when sitting down (not as obvious from a standing position, but for this price!?!). Made in China, and it shows. The mounts for the branches appear to be flimsy and may easliy break off, and from the customer service complaints, I've seen online, I have no faith in their Warranty. The remote controll and controller apear plasticy and cheap. The wires for the lights are just wrapped around the branches, not hidden inside. In my opnion, someone is making alot of money marketing a highly marked up marking up Chinese product. Now I have to foot the $120 bill to ship it back. Balsam Hill.

• Bo
      9th of Feb, 2010

I had the same problem but it was with a Costco tree from years back. Through recommendation of my husband who saw it online we got a Tree Classics tree. I've had the tree since 2006 and haven't had a problem with it yet. I had a random light out but thats normal so overall I'm very pleased. Their site is www.treeclassics.com. You get what you pay for, I guess. Well, in most cases!

• Ba
      21st of Dec, 2010

This is one of the worst e-commerce retailers out there. They just don't care about their products or their customers. I spent $2000 on a 12' tree from Balsam Hill. It arrived defective and has continuous lighting problems. This year more than 2000 out of the 4000 light bulbs do not work. Balsam Hill just says, oh well, you have to do maitenence now and again. The tree was bought at the end of 2009. Its in its second season this year. Balsam Hill is full of excuses and promises to call you back or send spare parts. Its all false promises. Once they have your money they just don't care. The Better Business Bureau shows dozens of complaints about Balsam Hill. Actually, all you have to do is Google the words "Balsam Hill Complaint" or "Balsam Hill Reviews" and you will find hundreds of unhappy customers. One customer has a dedicated web site called www.balsamhillsucks.com ! Please, do not but a Christmas tree from Balsam Hill. It will be the worst experience you have. Its a shame the recession didn't wipe-out this shady outfit!

• Ba
      21st of Dec, 2010

• Ta
      23rd of Nov, 2012

I tried doing business with Balsam Hill for the first time this year. Big mistake! Ordered the Tannenbaum Tree (set of three) which was all suppose to come in one box, they said. The box came with three mismatched tree parts and three metal stands. All other branch pieces were not included. Also the quality of the foliage is most disappointing - very cheap looking. I spoke to Kyle in their customer service department who was rude and lecturing. He said if I returned the partial order shipping would be at my expense - a minimum of $50.00! He said if I wanted the rest of the pieces to complete the order for which I had paid in full, I would have to email a total of six pictures of the items and the box. Don't order anything from this company! If you are disappointed in the quality you receive, it will cost you plenty just to return it.