Bally Total Fitness / Canceling Membership

1 12440 East Imperial HighwayNorwalk, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 18664022559

My 3 year membership ended but Ballys has continued to charge my credit card on file each month. Per my contract I sent a written request to the address located on my contract with a $50 money order for the cancellation fee and have been waiting now almost 3 months for my cancellation to take effect - all the while they are still charging my credit card the monthly membership fee. I am shocked that a company as big as Ballys is essentially "trapping" consumers into these memberships and then structure the contracts in a way where they can continue charging the member even after the agreement term has ended and making it impossible to contact them to cancel. Literally, I have tried to contact them so many times but the customer service lines tell you to hang up and try again - it doesn't let you wait on hold even if you wanted to wait the 30-45 minutes. It has turned into one of the most frustrating experiences of my life.

The address to their cancellation department that is written on my contract where I mailed my cancellation letter and $50 cancellation fee is:

Attn: Cancellation Dept
12440 East Imperial Hwy
PO Box 1080
Norwalk, CA 90650

Frustrated Bally Fitness Member,
Antonino Ciappina

Comments

• Ri
      15th of Feb, 2010

Hi Aciappina,

Thank you for sharing your comments. I'm sorry to hear we're losing you as a member and that you've been unable to contact our Member Services department.

I will send you a direct message to gather additional details so I can follow-up on your request and see how I can help.

Rick

• Fr
      15th of Feb, 2010

Company information:
    12440 East Imperial Highway
    Norwalk, California
    Phone: 18664022559
    ballyfitness.com

I have also mailed in a letter of cancellation and the $50 fee to wave off the contract. However, this last month, they charged $12 on my father's credit card. I went to the Huntington Beach, CA to get it straightened out and the desk lady tried to call the Norwalk place for me. However, later she told me to try calling again later and told me the business times to call was 6am to 11am and 5pm to 9pm. When I called at 5pm, I found out they had hours that closed to 5pm. I am disgusted by the complete lie she told me.

Disgusted Bally Fitness Member
    Frank Ho

• Ri
      16th of Feb, 2010

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your comments.

I'm not sure of the circumstances surrounding the cancelling of your account, but if it was done 10 business days or less prior to your next billing cycle - the next month's payment is automatically withdrawn.

I apologize for the misunderstanding at the Huntington Beach club. Our Member Services department is open Monday - Friday from 6a - 5p. They can also be reached via email at memberservices@ballyfitness.com.

Please contact our Member Services department directly to determine the status of your cancellation.

Rick

• Se
      7th of Apr, 2010

I have been a member for 7-8 years. I just got a letter from a COLLECTION AGENCY stating that I owed $300+. I called the agency and they are saying that the money is due since the beginning of the year 01-01-10. I was paying $12 a month and, if my prior contract expired, I NEVER signed/authorized a new contract. Now I have yet to contact Bally's, I will do it tomorrow, but perhaps someone can explain how all of a sudden I owe so much money without having changed anything?? If this is a expired contract issue, I never signed a new contract.

This is offensive...

Sean
    North Miami Beach (Waterways), FL

• St
      3rd of Nov, 2010

I sent a letter to cancel my Bally's membership (no longer under contract) a few months ago and they are still debiting my account as well. I waited a few months thinking it could take 2-3 months to go through. I contacted my bank to find out what I have to do if Bally's continues to do this and they said something about filing paperwork to document that Bally's is fradulently charging me despite my written request to cancel. My bank said that they've had to change their clients' account numbers because Bally's would not honor the fact that members had cancelled. I really don't want a suprise letter from a collection agency...

I don't want to get into a fight with bally's, I just want them to stop taking my hard earned money from me when I did what they asked to cancel. I guess I'll have to send the next letter certified with a receipt request...maybe even notorize it haha. What a disaster.