Bally Total Fitness / Club Condition, Cancellation Policy

temporarily join another gym. For convenience, I joined BallyTotalFitness. I
originally joined Bally in 1984, in New Jersey. During the 80's and 90's Bally
WAS the place to be. I cannot speak for Bally across the country, but I
can speak for the Thornton and Westminster, Colorado clubs. The condition of
the clubs is poor. Maintenance seems non existent with a number of machines
that either do not function or function roughly. The Thornton club has the strangest
shower heads that spray the water so wide, it becomes a dance to get the water
to actually hit your body. The Westminster club has maybe two showers that
function correctly with pressure that is so low at times you question whether
you turned the water on at all. The others showers are like spinning the
wheel on Wheel of Fortune trying to find where the hot and cold water flows. The
Westminster club also has the largest men's steam room I have ever seen,
BUT it operates when it feels like it, so you may sit in there for 15 minutes
before it turns on.

On the positive side they have some very good class
instructors although when an instructor stops teaching a class, the online
schedules don't seem to be updated. Arriving at a club for a class that is no
longer there can be disconcerting.

The final straw to my dissatisfaction with Bally is there
payment policy. When canceling a membership you MUST cancel within the 10 day
deadline or else. I wrote to Bally and requested a refund for the month I was
not going to be in Colorado and they stuck to their policy, no exceptions.
Granted I was late on the cancellation and maybe I should just be kicked in the
###. It was around Labor Day weekend and I was distracted. Shame on me.

So when shopping for a new gym be sure to inspect the club,
check the machines you know you use often and make sure to check out the
showers to be sure the faucets work properly. With so many more choices
today like LA Fitness, Gold's, Planet Fitness, Life Time Fitness, Anytime
Fitness, 24 Hour Fitness, Pure Fitness, there is no need to settle. In
addition, some of these gyms have temporary membership options for travelers or
those who are working in the area temporarily. If you want to skip fees all
together look up Recreation Centers. While traveling through Albuquerque, I
joined one that has numerous locations all over the city for $13 a year!!!

Best of luck with your fitness
goals!!!

Sa
Sep 16, 2014
Sort by: Date | DownRating

Comments

• Do
      28th of Jun, 2009

This is a freaking great idea

• Do
      28th of Jun, 2009

While it seems like the only thing we can do is post on scam sites and message boards, this is not true! I think that everyone really needs to get together and try to bring this evil, immoral and corrupt company down. This is what I have done so far. Made copies of flyers and distributed it near colleges and even near Bally Total Fitness itself about my story. I also wrote an article about it online.

If the government won't do anything about it and if the Better Business Bureau won't do anything about it, no matter how many complaints they get, we have to take things into our own hands. I recently wrote an email to Michael Moore, the famous director and creator of award winning documentaries such as Sicko, Bowling for Columbine and Fahrenheit 9/11 through his website at www.michaelmoore.com or you can email him directly at mike@michaelmoore.com.

I know that this is a long shot, but it doesn't hurt to try. Maybe if enough people write to him, he will pay attention to us. He is a brilliant man. I believe he's the kind of person that personally reads his emails and will help if he can!!! So try it!!! You have nothing to lose. Meanwhile, the main goal is to inform people. If you see someone getting lured into Bally's, try to stop them from going in. The more people that knows about this, the more Bally's will lose business. Once they can't save themselves, they will realize what they have done wrong to have flushed their entire corporation down the toilet.

~Peace.

• Co
      5th of Aug, 2009

That site you recomended, www.riadhhamdiisaretard.blogspot.com, says you have to be invited to log on. How do I get an invitation? I cannot seem to get out of my contract!

• Al
      13th of Aug, 2009

oh my God! I didnot know anything about Bally before I sign up. I hated it there! especially the customer services. I want to cancel my membership but can never get to speak to a representative. I wondering if someone had similar problem that have an effective way to cancel this money sucker Bally ?

• So
      26th of Dec, 2009

I have been requesting to quit Bally's. I was told I could do so at the website, but there does not seem to be anyway to do it at the website. I have been told that you have to mail in a cancel request, and can not do it at a Bally's or over the hone. I was also told that I could cancel my automatic

• Nn
      17th of Feb, 2010

complain to Better Business Bureau. that's what i did after Bally continued to charge my cc. BBB helped me within a week. There services are completely free, its a government program that all business afraid to deal with. Even at my old job if we had someone file a complain with BBB we would deal with that right away.

• Sc
      8th of Mar, 2010

Totally agree. One guy told me I just need to call(because my contract is ending) to cancel otherwise it AUTOMATICALLY goes on month to month renewal. So I called today, because it ends tomorrow, and they told me that I actually have to write a freaking letter and send it by mail. Theres NO damn way its ganna get all the way to california from colorado in one fcuking day. So it goes on month to month and I still have to pay for it even if its their fault. All you get is, "I'm sorry you were misinformed."

14th of Aug, 2008
    Bally Total Fitness - Prostitutes who work at Bally's
    California

Go to this blog to find out what kind of horrible people work at bally's: www.riadhhamdiisaretard.blogspot.com

• Ri
      5th of Nov, 2008
    Bally Total Fitness - Your Social Security Number is not safe at Bally's
    Phone: 562-803-3432

My name is Riadh Hamdi and I am a sorry ### looking for a green card. I go through all members' social security numbers, and their personal info. to find out who can help me get a green card. Find out how I do this:
    www.riadhhamdiisaretard.blogspot.com

• Am
      25th of Nov, 2008
    Bally Total Fitness - How to cancel membership
    Phone: 5628033432

Go to www.riadhhamdiisaretard.blogspot.com. Download the documents from that blog and fax them to Bally's. I know of a couple of people whose memberships were cancelled after faxing the documents posted on that blog. Try it. Hopefully it will work.

• Am
      17th of Dec, 2008
    Bally Total Fitness - Bally Criminals
    Phone: 562-803-3434

If Bally Total Fitness will not cancel your membership, download the documents at :
    www.riadhhamdiprofile.blogspot.com, www.riadhhamdiisaretard.blogspot.com
    They need to be reminded that if they can aid and abed criminals like Riadh Hamdi, they should be able to cancel training sessions and memberships.

20th of Jan, 2009
    Bally Total Fitness - Cancel membership
    bally total fitness
    Fresno
    California

I have been trying since the begining of January to cancel my membership and get my money back. I have sent two letters 9 emails, and have tried for over sa week and a half to call, only to hear the lines are to busy, due to high calls, please call back and then it disconnects.

• Ro
      1st of Jul, 2011
    Bally Total Fitness - Golds gym buying Bally
    Bally total fitness
    Maryland

Bally continues to lay off employees. Golds gym is buying bally. They're awful to their customers and employees. Can't wait for all their dirty gyms to close. Never ever obtain a membership there.

• Sh
      29th of Mar, 2009
    Bally Total Fitness - Why is Bally's open?
    Lakewood
    Los Angeles
    Phone: 562-803-3432

Why doesn't this crap hole just shut down already? Everyone should get together and picket Bally Total F__up. There should be some sort of organized movement that pickets Bally Total Fitness on the same day in every city across the country until we make them shut down for good.

• Mi
      2nd of Oct, 2009
    Bally Total Fitness - Criminals

Stay away from Bally Total Fitness. They will lie shamelessly to get you to sign a contract, then immediately peel off the friendly and helpful mask once you're in, and lie shamelessly again and again to keep you from terminating the contract under the guidelines they spelled out. This is not an isolated customer service problem, it is their business model.

• Ov
      4th of Oct, 2009
    Bally Total Fitness - Awful place
    ballyfitness.com

Bally's has leased their swimming pools to the Australian Swim Schools and reduced the times and lanes available for their members. The pools are now filled with screaming kids and urine. Because of their bankruptcy, they are doing anything possible to generate income at the expense of their membership. Members can no longer swim at their leisure and are subject to the pool lease.

• Af
      1st of Nov, 2009
    Bally Total Fitness - taking money out of bank after `cancellation
    bally total fitness
    Oregon

after sending numerous e mails to be sure to stop auto withdraw from my bank account once membership expired Bally continued to take money and refuses to refund.

• Al
      17th of Nov, 2010
    Bally Total Fitness - Filthy health hazard
    45 east 55th street
    New York
    New York
    Phone: 212 688 6630

The front desk person (morning person) was "busy" reading a paper when I came in. The mens room had no toilet paper.When I asked the manager for paper He said he would get to it later. The mens locker room is filthy with urine on the floor. all this before noon Watch your personal belongings!!! There was theft just last week