Bally Total Fitness / Employees are poor with customer service

I am filing a complaint because of inadequate and unlawful service. Upon signing the contract, I was told that "at any time during the three year contract I could pay a termination fee of $50 (per member) and end my contract"; however, when i tried to do that, I was told that there was no way I could possibly get out of my contract. The information I have been given from various bally's total fitness sources has been conflicting and misleading. Other papers say that even if you "die or become totally and permanently disabled after the date [your] contract takes effect, you or your estate may cancel this contract and receive a partial refund of your unused membership fee"-- they expect a dead person to continue paying for use of the facility. Additionally, there "cheap prices" would eventually cost my sister and I$2,256.61- money that we do not have to spend mindlessly. And yet i had no idea about any of such semi fraudulent acts upon attempting to cancel the membership. Rather, i wanted to cancel because the facilities were dirty, the employees were crude, unsupportable and had no idea what customer service nor etiquette implies, the classes were too large to even see myself in the mirror and the machinery was cheap, specifically the rowing machine and ellipticals. I found a better deal at larry north fitness in Hiighland Park Village, an institution infamous for being overpriced, and yet Bally's the cheap fitness institute was thirty dollars more per month for both my sister and I! When i tried to cancel I had previously looked at their website, ballyfitness.com, and found that i would have to pay a fifty dollar cancellation fee. That appalled me but I was willing to. Then i discovered that i was legally binded to their program for three years - something i never heard until i tried to cancel. I am deeply frustrated and what i continue to wonder is why would a large organization attempt to infuriate their customers, word of mouth is strong and harmful. I will do my best to ruin bally total fitness on McKinney credibility. Further, their not even a member of the better business bureau! What a scam. I am expecting my sister and i to be allowed to cancel without paying a cent. We have not even shown up to the institute for over a month. That alone should show how dissatisfied i am with that fitness center. If i am not allowed to cancel without paying I will file a dispute with my bank regarding federal regulation E and consult our family's lawyer. I am horribly upset with this "company," and you should be too. Not only are their lower-end employees poor with customer service, so are their founders. Bally total fitness is anything but user friendly, their a scam just gliding along the lawful lines.

Company details:
Bally Total Fitness, Turtle Creek II location Dallas, Tx 74204

Jo

Comments

• Br
      5th of Oct, 2006

As a former employee of Bally in Oxnard CA I seriously feel for any member or employee who enters this club. I was terminated for turning in a pedophile who is on their staff. Because this person was a high seller of Personal Training they felt in in their best interest to keep him and turn a blind eye. Watch the news for this one and keep your children away from Bally of Oxnard!!

• St
      18th of Oct, 2006

I registered with Bally's and was told that if I wanted to add someone to my account I would be able to take them off at any time. So when my ### roommate stopped paying his half of the membership I tried to take him off only to find out that he was part of the three contract also. Well of ourse the girl who signed me up no longer works there and I was told by someone else that the only thing they would do would be after the contract is over I would get free months for the extra $20 I was paying for a second person. Everything is in the binding contract. It's nice to know that Bally's promotes miselading members to get them sucked in to a binding contract. DO NOT JOIN HERE SUCH A RIP OFF

• Vo
      27th of Nov, 2006

The effect on the market or potential market. This factor is often held to be the most important in the analysis, and it applies even if the bally fitness original is given away for free. If you use the copied work in a way that substitutes for the original in the market, it's unlikely to be a fair use; uses that serve a different audience or purpose are more likely fair. Linking to the original may also help to diminish the substitution effect. Note that criticism or parody that bally fitness has the side effect of reducing a market may be fair because of its transformative character. In other words, if your criticism of a product is so powerful that people stop buying the product, that doesn't count as having an "effect on the market for the work" under copyright law.

• Mn
      10th of Mar, 2007

For the past two years, I have been a member of the Manchester, CT club, and those were two very unpleasant years. Aside from the disgusting condition of the entire club, customer service has reached an all time low. Only a few days ago, the manager on duty was swearing and arguing with a member because the latter inquired why the music was turned off fifteen minutes before the club closes. On March 10, 2007, the manager (Brendan) was unpleasant and impolite towards me, and had gone to the extent of implying that I was a liar. I can clearly see why Bally Totally Fitness is going down the drain, for when the clubs are managed by inexperienced people who treat members harshly and disrespectfully, what else can be expected? My membership will end soon and forever.

• Mi
      12th of Mar, 2007

I am a personal trainer in Middlebury ct at bally's. Bally total fitness is as corrupt as any business. I am so happy to have landed a better job starting next month. They treat there employees as bad as they treat customers they use people and step on them. The best employee I have ever seen recently got fired b/c of the best interest of the managers to continue writing up fake contracts and stealing money from the company. Ive seen a past manager sign up a new trainers family and rip them off the same way. I wish there was more we can do, one thing we can do is tell as many people as possible not to join bally's.

• Jr
      18th of May, 2007

BALLY FITNESS IS THE BIGGEST SCAM ON THE MARKET. They are LIARS when they convince you to sign the contract. Not only that, they tell you one thing and it really means another. I can't wait till the club goes down and we are all freed from this scam!!!

7th of Jul, 2007

A few years ago, i thought about joining... Signed up but didn’t pay any fees. (Needed to join) i told the salesperson i wanted to think about it for a few days before i put my deposit down etc... i ended up changing my mind and never gave the money, he also called my home 3 times in which 2 times i told him NO i changed my mind and once my mother told him the same when he called a third time looking for me... I also went to the gym to tell them in person. i later received a bill saying I signed up and was to pay the bill... When i went to ballys the salesperson told me he paid the fee and it was normal business practice for them... i now received a bill for over 3 thousand dollars... i know this is not normal business practice. He probably was going to see a bigger commission than my sign up fee was going to be. After I received the initial bill I went back to the gym to speak with him and he assured me it would be taken care of and canceled, and it would be no problem since I never been to the gym to work out once...

• De
      8th of Jul, 2007

My story is no different than anyone else, I am in a contract with the devil (surname Bally's) and because it is with Bally Total fitness I may have this contract for life. My problem is at this time I can't ruin my credit . The center I go to is at NW HOUSTON @ 290 and NW Frwy, and is nasty. On Friday I went to the gym and used the steam room, whirlpool ,before work and I reeked the entire day. I was told by the manager nothing would change, so I am going to call the board of health everyday until they pay so much it hurts (there are so many violations at that place, remember in the late 80' or early 90's when the flesh eating disease began at many unsanitary spa's. I urge everyone to keep going to the Attorney General, CityCounselmen where they are located, local television consumer advocates in your town and the department of health, and I am pretty sure we can stop them.

• Am
      10th of Jul, 2007

Bally Fitness is a SCAM!!! Totally SCAM!!! Their promo free trial is fake and scam. They make you sign the contract without telling you that you are going to open a credit for about $1,600 and the monthly membership payment is actually your monthly payment for $1,600. I went to Bally Fitness for just one day trial, when I got there, the costumer service sent me to the office and he made me sign the contract. I should have read the contract before signing it. I have no idea that you can't cancel your contract until you paid your balance in full. When did I get a balance??? I have a balance of $1,600 and the membership fee we all know is actually the monthly fee to pay your balance. I tried to cancel my membership by sending them a letter that I move in my new place and the Bally Gym was too far from my new place. Unfortunately they didn't grant my request due to my new place is only located 19 miles away from the gym and per "contract" you can only cancel it if you move 20 miles away in any Bally's location. Would you drive 19miles everyday just to go to gym??? Now I am pregnant and I am unable to do heavy fitness so I decided to send them a letter with my doctor consent. I am hoping that maybe they can hold my payment until I can actively back to normal fitness. Well again they didn't grant my request and I can't do anything to lower my monthly fee either per "contract". I feel like I am wasting my money to nothing!!! Paying something that I don't use. I haven't been in the gym since I move in my new place 7 months ago and I only been in the gym for 5 times due to its always crowded! Equipment is dirty, you have to bring sanitizer, bathroom are dirty and slippery, the steamroom are dirty, jacuzzi and pool are coed( you have to share w/ men), I mean you go to gym to work out and relax not to feel pressure. When I live in Manila Philippines, their gym are very clean and comfortable. Their staff are very nice and helpful. The shower room for woman has own jacuzzi, steam room, pool and you don't have to share with man. They even provide you a towel, hot tea, blow dryer and bathrobe. Just like when you go to hotels gym.

I just wanted to share how much I regret joining Bally Fitness. For those of you planning to join, please read the contract first, ask questions and see if you can handle crowded place.

• Vi
      13th of Jan, 2008

Has anybody actioned against this organization. What were the results. How did you eventually get out of the contract?

28th of Mar, 2008

I have to say that Bally Total Fitness is a horrible Corporation. First, their upper management is terrible. They will hire and fire whenever they please. Alls this company wants to do is steal your money. Who would pay over 1, 000 dollars for 16 personal training sessions? 48 sessions is 3, 000 dollars! Thats a down payment on a Ford Focus! Bally employees lie all the time. When you buy a membership you will most likely be paying more monthly in a few months. The company constantly raises their prices of memberships. You could be paying 30 dollars a month one month and it slowly starts to increase so eventually you are paying 40 dollars a month. The places are dirty and many of the employees have been arrested and have records. Sounds wonderful right?

• Ti
      16th of Apr, 2008

BALLYS-OXNARD...AFTER DECLINING PURCHASING PERSONAL TRAINING SESSION SEVERAL TIMES, I WAS TALKED INTO BUYING 10 SESSIONS FOR $500.00, I CLOULD PAY $299.00 INTIALLY AND WITH IN 3 MONTHS, THE REMAINING $200.00. LIVING ON A SINGLE INCOME, I CAME UP WITH $ AND SIGNED THEIR CONTRACT, I ADMIT I SHOULD HAVE READ IT CLOSER AS IT IMPLIED I HAD A REMAINING BALANCE OF $300.00 TO BE PAID, MORE THAN I HAD BEEN TOLD. AND I KNOW DAMN WELL EXACTLY WHAT I WAS PROMISED. UNFORTUNATELY, I DIDN'T CATCH THIS UNTIL AFTER THEY WITHDREW IT FROM MY ACCOUNT 3 MONTHS LATER. I HAD BEEN ABLE TO GET 4 SESSIONS IN (SINCE DECEMBER) AND HAVE SINCE THEN LEFT SEVERAL MESSAGES FOR THE TRAINER THAT SIGNED ME. I'VE YET TO BE CALLED BACK WITH AN APPOINTMENT FOR MY PERSONAL SESSIONS. AT THIS POINT, I NO LONGER WISH TO KEEP MY MEMBERSHIP. FROM THE BEGINNING, I HAVE NOT BEEN HAPPY. THEY GYM HAS AN OVER ALL DIRTY ATMOSPHERE, I HAVE TO STRAIN TO HEAR THE MUSIC, EVEN AS I WAIT FOR A MACHINE, WHICH I FIND MYSELF DOING FREQUENTLY. THE CLASSES THEY HAVE, COST, AND I AM TALKING SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS, WHICH IS RIDICULOUS. I WON'T EVEN GO INTO DETAILS OF THE STATE SOME THATSOME OF THE TRAINERS COME TO WORK IN. AND I MAY HAVE BROUGHT THIS ON MYSELF, BUT AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED, I HAVE A $300 CREDIT WITH BALLYS OXNARD AND THEY CAN APPLY THAT TOWARDS MY CANCELLATION FEE. IM STICKING TO THE TRACK.
    I WISH TOTAL WOMAN WOULD HAVE STAYED OPEN.

17th of Apr, 2008

Horrible place! Bally Total Fitness is a scam!

• Do
      21st of Apr, 2008

I signed up for Bally's when I just started working. And, yes, I admit that I did not read the contract. Instead, I believed everything I was told. That was a big mistake. I am stuck paying a large amount for 3 years for a membership to a dirty, unprofessional gym. Every Bally's member that I have spoken to has lied to my face. That is what pisses me off the most. When I first joined, I was told I could cancel my membership at any time within 2 months. What I was not told was that I would have to use the gym at least 17 times and see a personal trainer, then I could cancel. I was also not told that I would only have a window of 10 days to cancel my contract. Looking at my contract, I also noticed that the date of service is incorrect. I know this is going to bite me in the butt when my 3 years is up. But once I get past this, I will NEVER join Ballys or even step within 50 feet of this shady operation. I suggest you do the same.

• Am
      20th of Jul, 2008

In regards to the pedophile at the Bally's in Oxnard, CA:
    Brenda, I absolutely believe you. That ### Riadh Hamdi at the Bally's in Downey, CA will hit on teenage girls, whose mothers have tried to file complaints in the corporate office and Bally's looks the other way, also because he is a "high seller". Everyone hates that ### because he cannot keep his pants on. He get everyone at work involved in his personal life and the Sheriff's Deparment is constantly looking for him because he is too much of a biatch to sign divorce papers that his wife needs him to sign. But everyone at the Bally's in Downey is forced to put up with this ###, because supposedly he sells lot of personal training. What they don't know, is that his dick is doing the selling.

• Aa
      28th of Oct, 2008

That's such a laugh

In the late 80's I think it was called Bally Matrix back then my friend swindled me into signing me up with his douchbag-buddy who worked there in their membership ###-lieing agent department.

I agreed to a $40 something a month thing as I was in highschool and only worked PT. Before I knew what happened it went to $200 after two months and counting, as it turned out there were taxes, locker-room fees and other BS fees which were in point 6 text. I said I want out asap and was willing to pay this debt. They said you cant get out of the one year deal unless you pay some reduculous fee. From there it went to collections for the next two months I heard from some fat ### in the States with some inbread-down-south my uncle-fathered-my-children accent who said that "This is the collection agency wanting our money for your outstanding debt to Bally Matrix". The kicker is by this time they were already in trouble in the States and under review regarding their deceptive practices. Subsequently we moved with a new address and phone number and that was all I ever heard from Bally and their bill.

• Ba
      24th of Jan, 2009

I can second this complaint. Bally's intentionally makes it impossible to leave. Complaints against them are legendary. A very bad company. Crooks.

• Bo
      26th of Jun, 2009

I agree that the bally fitness is a big scammmm.

poor facilites.

poor service

manager sucks

1800 is scammmmm

they are all lier.

We need to sue the Bally even is small amount of dollar.

• To
      4th of Oct, 2009
    Bally Total Fitness - Scam charges
    Bally Total Fitness
    ballyfitness.com

My husband and I are new to the area and wanted to join a health club that also provided daycare services while we worked out and was close to our home. So we joined Bally's. My husband and I have never left our 9 month old daughter with anyone before but thought that she would do just fine. We filled out the paper work and went into the daycare to take a look. At first glance it looked fine so we signed her in and went on our way. Thirty minuets later they called us back to the daycare because our daughter Allee had an accident. So, I took her to the ladies room and changed her not thinking it was a big deal seeing how she was only 9 months. The lady that was working in the daycare then said to me "so you don't change her often?" I explained that I had just changed her before we dropped her off and that this was the first time she had been away from us. I think that our daughter was just nervous. I also told the lady that Allee sleeps through the night, so that is 9 hours in the same diaper. I tried to just let it go and made an appointment to come back the next day. When I arrived I signed Allee in and while filling out the paperwork to leave her in there the same lady came up to me and asked "are you still nursing?" Not that it is any of her business because they don't feed your children there and this was such a personal question I responded no. She then told me that I was a "bad mommy". I was very upset but understand that everyone has an opinion and I know that I am a very good mommy! I went ahead and worked out for 45 minuets. When I went in to pick up Allee I saw that she was playing with a Domino. Allee can't crawl or walk so that Domino was given to her. Not only is that toy way too small for her be playing with, it was dirty and the paint had chipped off into her mouth, teeth, and under her nails. Allee was the only child in the daycare, so tell me how is that ok? I made a complaint and asked that my membership be canceled and be refunded the fee we paid upfront since it had only been 2 days. They have been giving me the run around for over a month now. I have called everyone in the company up to the actual President. I am absolutely upset that they don't care and don't see how my daughters health and safety was put at risk. I have had to called our doctor to get the signs of lead poisoning. The worst part is no one will call us back and try to make this right. They said that I can end the membership after 60 days, that’s 2 months of the fee at $45.00 a month plus pay $35.00 to end the membership. I just don't see how they can get away with this! You should also Google Bally's and see the same list of complaints, they have hundreds on this site! It's time that they get exposed and pay the price themselves. But most of all from one mommy to another don't take your children to Bally Total Fitness because they just don't care and with the New Year right around the corner I'm sure plenty of people will be getting new memberships.

• Ke
      13th of Oct, 2009

they did same thing to me and my family. just tell anyone don't use Bally Total fitness